+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two week newbie  (Read 3456 times)

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Two week newbie
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
Just hitting two week point and have been fairly active in walking around.  Don't use crutch or cane unless I'm fatigued.  No meds other than the blood thinner so drive some about every day (little stiff getting the operative right hip into and out of car).  Limping while walking, and cranky at night (more from inability to move around freely than from pain).  I've stuck with the exercises they gave me post op, but other than staying away from the 3 dislocation moves, don't know what else I can do other than walk.  Any suggestions, or just be very patient (not easy).
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hernanu

Re: Two week newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:06:25 PM »
Hey curt, welcome and congrats. Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Yup, about right for two weeks, walking a lot and do the exercises they gave you, make sure you're icing and elevate the leg. Are you doing PT or will do it outpatient?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »
plan on outpatient.  Figure that stretching the hip as I'm able (further down the road) can be done at home.  Right now I'm concentrating on the weakness I feel from the dislocation.  Only feel it in the directions of the actual dislocation but it is pretty limiting.  Not able to stand on one foot yet so I'll give it some time.
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
Time is right - you'll get to the standing on one leg. I had the following for standing up exercises early on:

• Stand in front of a counter (I used the refrigerator) and hold on for all exercises.
  • Light squats (bend knees, squat down a couple of inches, back up - 10 reps
  • stand and move one leg sideways as far as comfortable. 10 reps per leg
  • stand and move one leg beck as far as comfortable. Don't arch back, it's for strength, not ROM
  • stand and lift one knee up to about 90 degrees or as far as comfortable.
  • stand and go on tiptoes. 10 reps

Do the above (where applicable) for both the operated and non operated leg. Repeat for 3 sets. I did these from the start per leg three times per day. This was in addition to the lying in bed exercises. When they became too easy, we (home PT and I) ramped up to 15 reps of everything. It becomes a pretty good workout in our condition, I still do them periodically.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:33:59 PM by hernanu »

curt

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »
Thanks so much for the info.  I'll start tonight.  Been getting lots better at walking, but I know I've been compensating for the weakness since my lower back is usually a little sore at the end of a day.  I really like the sound of the "petite" strengthening...getting stronger and staying balanced.  I appreciate it.  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Luanna

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Yes.Thanks Hern. Your advice about not arching your back when doing backward leg extensions made a huge difference!!!! 

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:12:38 AM »
No problem Luanna, my PT was all over me about that, since being a type A I wanted to get as much extension as possible.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat