+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 Week R Biomet w/Dr. Gross  (Read 6632 times)

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
2 Week R Biomet w/Dr. Gross
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »
       Two weeks today with a Biomet resurfacing of Right Hip.  Currently an airline pilot, and have been running forever.  I have a history of OA in knees with surgery on each knee for meniscus tearing/fraying.  Hip was never more than a stiffness issue, or so I thought.  Very uncomfortable following a half marathon race in March 11.  Did not resolve so did lots of stretching and 2 months of PT since one ortho only found moderate OA.  Got worse to the point of spasms in the muscles around the hip, and despite a round of bilateral cortisone injections, did not improve.  After a second visit to another ortho, it was recommended that I would be a great candidate for a THR later in life (multiple bone spurs, bone on bone and cysts) and to take the big Ibuprofens for now.  They did little for me.
        Finally flew with another pilot who had both hips done during the approval processes in 2003.  Was very happy with the results and was 4 years older, so I checked it out.  No ortho had ever mentioned it and this site was the beginnings of my research.  Given my age and levels of OA in my other hip and knees, I don't intend to run long races, but would like to be able to jog a every other day for moderate fitness.  Honestly, I would be happy to walk without pain as an early goal.  So I settled on Dr. Gross and the Biomet.
          Surgery and recovery seem to be normal.  Despite the obvious residual pain from the dislocation during the surgery, the "deep" ache I had prior to surgery is gone.  Knew it when I woke up.  I feel the incision, and the weakness in my hip in several directions of movement, but think that will improve as it physically heals.
        I am not eager to have my other hip done, but am extremely glad that I've taken care of this one.  The pain before was barely tolerable and I would have been forced to have a THR...thank goodness someone educated me on the resurfacing.  Any advice will always be appreciated, but feel very optimistic that things are progressing well at this early stage.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:57:27 PM by Pat Walter »
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

sdunn4

Re: 2 Week R Biomet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Curt,

Glad to hear you're doing well!  I am scheduled October 24th with Dr. Gross for the rt. hip.  I second your thoughts- I may return to running sprint triathlons and climbing in the Adirondacks, but first and foremost, I want to walk with no pain and without a limp!  Keep us posted on your recovery.

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »
Nice description, curt. I'm glad you got done by a doctor as good as Dr. Gross, see how you feel on this one, I was much calmer the second time around having had very positive results with the first. Enjoy the lack of pain.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »
Curt, I hope that you make a full and swift recovery! I
am sure that you will
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

curt

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
After three weeks, feeling stronger and doing more every day (TRYING not to over-do).  Sleeping on my side is getting easier even without the pillow, but continue to have a slight limp when walking unassisted unless I really concentrate and firm up my operative side.  Looking forward to the day that I can walk without thinking about it.  What pain I have is small compared to pre-op and for that I'm grateful, but It wil be nice when it's out of my mind completely (so I can concentrate on my knees and other hip aches!). 
Exercises I copied from Hernanu have been fun and helpful...thanks!  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
How long have you been walking unassisted?

Sometimes it's good to go with one crutch or a cane until your operated hip gets stronger.

I began by walking indoors and using one crutch as little as possible and always having my family check my gait. 

Chuck

After three weeks, feeling stronger and doing more every day (TRYING not to over-do).  Sleeping on my side is getting easier even without the pillow, but continue to have a slight limp when walking unassisted unless I really concentrate and firm up my operative side.  Looking forward to the day that I can walk without thinking about it.  What pain I have is small compared to pre-op and for that I'm grateful, but It wil be nice when it's out of my mind completely (so I can concentrate on my knees and other hip aches!). 
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
great stuff curt! Hope your progress continues!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »

No problem, curt, happy to see they help. You're still early in the recuperation, like Chuck says, you may want to walk a bit longer with support and use others to check your gait. It takes longer but is much better in the long run.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
I appreciate the advice to take it slow.  I am less of a stud than I am lazy about grabbing my cane.  Lately I have been emphasizing the strenghtening exercises over the distance walking, hoping that will help equalize the gait. 
I understand that I've got a year of limping practice under my belt from prior to the surgery and the muscle weakness on my operative leg that accompanied it.  I'm trying to take it easy until I see Dr. Gross/Lee again on Nov 9th for my 6-week.  Hopefully the positioning and bone look good and I can increase the exercises or move onto light resistance. 
It took me so long to get here, you would figure that I could be more patient in the recovery.  THANKS for the sage advice, I'll TRY to adhere!!  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:31:49 AM »
Good luck mate and keep us posted! its good for those of us not yet fixed to hear from guys like yourself that are slightly ahead on the road back to recovery.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
Curt,

I agree with Danny. I think you are doing fine, and look forward to following your posts as you ramp up. I am five weeks away and taking in all that I can to get ready for the show.

Danny, I'll be looking for your posts too.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »
Boomer,
           I'll start a thread the day I go in on the 9th. I think I'll be in surgeory on the 10th. I see your going in on the 30th. Let's hope we do as many on here have and recover quickly and fully!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Boomer

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »
Danny,

I'm twice your age, so I should only have to recover half as fast as you! Looks like you may have an edge in the surgeon department as well. Treacy? Was McMinn busy that day?

We're going to come out of this much better than we were when we went in. No doubts on my end. The positive posters have gotten me very excited to move from "getting worse every day" to "getting better every day". I don't use the word "hope" any more. I am absolutely sure we're going to be celebrating the new year in less pain and with more mobility. I look forward to your posts.

Its 76 degrees here in Denver, so I'm leaving work early and going for a bike ride today. All part of the pre-op PT.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
"Treacy? Was McMinn busy that day?"
Derrick Mcminn is only available privatley and Mr Treacy acutally has double the experience but the real factor for me was a few hip surgeons who are friends of my dad they said to him the man that they would go to would be Mr Treacy.
But all that being said he is stil human so im relying on him bringing his A game!!
I hope you make a great recovery mate. You may have a point about my recovery time being quicker due to my age but im planning on taking it real easy up untill the 12 month mark.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

curt

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
You will both do great, I'm sure.  Any surgeon with experience should be fine, but I wouldn't be shy about reminding them that you expect YOUR surgery to be the best one they have ever done!  Nothing beats the feeling of trading in the OA and bone on bone pain for this post-surgical, recovery pain.  One was getting nothing but worse, and this one is getting only better.  Best of luck to both of you! Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
I'll have a little chat with him pre op but he knows what it means to me so I dont want to be putting undue pressure on him.
I carnt wait to be in recovery. I'm lucky I am not in real bad pain it's more the terrible rom that bothers me most. The wife is getting sick of putting my shoes and socks on for me bless her.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

curt

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
I'll go ahead and bless both of you.  Best of luck and keep smilin'.  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
Thanks mate I appreciate it!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

curt

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
Ok, turns out there is a mental side-effect to the surgery that makes you not quite there.  It was just pointed out to me via a verrrrry polite and non-accusatory email that my previous signatures showed my surgery as being 10/30/11.  Since I have not come back in time to recovery (if only I could), I have amended the electronic signature below to the correct date of 9/30/11.  Really, its not my fault...they made me take pills after the surgery...I couldn't help it!  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
curt,
That's funny! I didn't even notice. We'll have to ask them what kind of powerful stuff they're giving us. All along I have been blaming it on getting old! LOL
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat