+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whats the fastest recovery time possible or what you've seen?  (Read 3388 times)

ZAP

Whats the fastest recovery time possible or what you've seen?
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
I was just wondering what are some speedy recovery times?   We will measure recovery, being able to get out of bed, use the washroom, walk, take a shower or bath, etc , all on your own.
If you recovered in less then a month, please tell us your life style, for example, super healthy, no smoking, drinking etc, or if you're a couch potato, and possibly age.  For some reason I think a healthy 38 yr old will recover faster then a healthy 59 yr old.
My goal is to recover as fast as possible and I want to do  everything I possibly can to make it happen.

maxx6789

Re: Whats the fastest recovery time possible or what you've seen?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:57:45 PM »
did you see this link on pat's site ... it provides a rough range as to what you might except ... http://www.surfacehippy.info/survey/hipresurfacingsurvey.php.

i think most people would agree that each person's recovery is different and, in general, the younger you are and the better shape you are in pre-surgery, tend to lead to easier recoveries. my theory pre-surgery ... hope for the best but plan for the worse.

i am just 4 weeks post op, i am 45, by the "average american" standard i was in above-average pre-surgery, before OA in both hips i was always in much, much better shape. i have been pain free since the recovery room. this week ... i can walk unassisted, take stairs like "normal" (e.g., one foot per step), i can drive without issue, i have gone to the gym several times this week, used the stationary bike, been in the pool. at this point, i can tell you i feel better than pre-surgery and i will have to keep telling myself to "slow down" because i feel so good i just want to go and do things.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
Great link. Good survey information. Thanks maxx6789.

Zap, it's been 6 weeks for me and I'm still recovering so can't provide any useful info for ya. But I'm doing well for a decrepit old thing over 38 years old.  ;D

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Ernie

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
I was 53 when I had my right hip resurfaced, and had been running and lifting weights all my adult life until 4 months before the surgery.  I came home from the hospital the same day of my surgery.  I was full weight bearing from the beginning so I was able to progress pretty quickly.  I used a walker for the first 5 days.  Then a cane until day 11. Drove myself to work on day 12.  It has been steady progress since then.  Most restrictions were lifted at 6 weeks (i.e. 90 degree rule).  I started running again at six months (2 weeks ago), just a slow 3 mile jog. My other hip is scheduled to be resurfaced on Dec 12 and I'm hoping for a similar recovery, but I know there are no guarantees.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

If you recovered in less then a month

You cannot recover in less than a month. Can't be done. Should not consider it.

You might make grand improvements in the first month, and I hope you do. Recovery will continue, even past the first year.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

einreb

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 11:49:29 PM »
I was just wondering what are some speedy recovery times?   We will measure recovery, being able to get out of bed, use the washroom, walk, take a shower or bath, etc , all on your own.
If you recovered in less then a month, please tell us your life style, for example, super healthy, no smoking, drinking etc, or if you're a couch potato, and possibly age.  For some reason I think a healthy 38 yr old will recover faster then a healthy 59 yr old.
My goal is to recover as fast as possible and I want to do  everything I possibly can to make it happen.

Cory Foulks story is pretty nuts.  He did a marathon 3 months post op.

To a certain extent, I think that  the rush to recovery can raise the risk of catastrophic failure.  The bone is weak after surgery and gets weaker up to the 3 month point.  Rushing early risks small micro-fractures that end up in a neck fracture. 

While I find Cory's story inspiring... he also took a huge actuarial risk.  I think that good strength/stabilizer work within the limits of no impact for 6 months is the way to go.  marathon at 3 months sucks if you break it off at 4 months.

Not sure who has the sig, but something along the lines that its not a race after you've had the surgery.... you've already won. 

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »
I am 50 and in pretty good shape prior to surgery.  I would say that everything felt pretty normal around week 7 as far as daily activity.  I didn't really think about my hip much at that point.  I returned to work but not full days in week 4 and was driving an automatic.  By week 6 when my restrictions were removed I was able to drive my manual transmission.

I still feel I have a ways to go to totally recover.  I can feel my stabilizer muscles for lateral movement need much more work.  My hip flexor is finally feeling better but isn't as strong yet.  I still have some hip muscle ache after a good workout.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

23109VC

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 01:28:48 PM »
Don't stress about how fast you will recover.  You will get better and see improvements if you are in pain preop.

The really bad bone on bone pain is gone immediately.  But your leg will be weak and sore from the surgery.  That gets better.  I never really felt like I was in bad pain after surgery.

By 4-6 weeks you should feel really good and be walking  around. But don't overdo it.  I walked too much at about six weeks and it set me back in my recovery.

I'm at 8 months and can jog, but I'm still taking it easy and not pushing it.

Your body will heal at its own pace...you can't force it.....

If you are in bad Pain don't wait..get it fixed.  I wish I had fixed my hip sooner!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

ZAP

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
Don't stress about how fast you will recover.  You will get better and see improvements if you are in pain preop.

The really bad bone on bone pain is gone immediately.  But your leg will be weak and sore from the surgery.  That gets better.  I never really felt like I was in bad pain after surgery.

By 4-6 weeks you should feel really good and be walking  around. But don't overdo it.  I walked too much at about six weeks and it set me back in my recovery.

I'm at 8 months and can jog, but I'm still taking it easy and not pushing it.

Your body will heal at its own pace...you can't force it.....

If you are in bad Pain don't wait..get it fixed.  I wish I had fixed my hip sooner!

"I walked too much at about six weeks and it set me back in my recovery."

How so?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
Yes Corey fulks recovery was outrageously fast! Although I'm sure I read somewhere recently that mr mcminn believes that too early a return to high impact can cause a failure in the medium term ie 10 years or around there. I think it was in a post either on here or on vickys site.
I will be waiting a full 12 moaths before I return to high impact.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
Zap, I'm 65 and had my right hip resurfaced in April, and my left one last week.  I was able to do most of the things you list
We will measure recovery, being able to get out of bed, use the washroom, walk, take a shower or bath, etc , all on your own.
the day after surgery (with crutches).  I was able to do all of them without crutches or a cane at about 3 weeks.  However, that is just part of recovery!  The bones and muscles have to heal, as others have said, that takes time and is individual to each person.  Recovery is not a race - there are things I feel I could have done earlier than my doctor allows; however, he is the expert, I trust him and follow his orders.  I recommend you do the same.

That said, we all want to get back to normal as soon as possible after the surgery, and I think it helps a lot to be in as good a shape as you can be beforehand.  Best of luck to you!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
Annie! how are you? how did it go?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »
I have to echo what a lot of people have said.  I have failed numerous times in the last 3 weeks to rein myself in and too often have tried to do more than I should.  I can do everything that is listed, but I am cautious because I know that I'm not supposed to do everything!  When I feel tired, or feel some pain or fatigue in my operative hip from trying every third stair going up, instead of one at a time, I remind myself that it should be hard and I should go SLOW!  Dr. Gross dislocated my hip, ground down my bones, pressed fit two pieces of metal and cut and sewed up a lot of soft tissue.  I think its supposed to hurt and take a while to heal properly.  I have asked my wife to remind me often that slower is better for now.
I think all I really need to do is to remember how bad it hurt before and try not to mess it up.  Best of luck with a proper recovery!  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Luanna

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
I have asked my wife to remind me often that slower is better for now. I think all I really need to do is to remember how bad it hurt before and try not to mess it up.

Makes total sense to me Curt! Good for you.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Anniee

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
Hernan, I'm fine!  Everything went very well and I 've been back home since last Thursday.  I drove myself to the grocery store this afternoon! :)

While I still have the pain from the surgery, that awful pain in the joint is gone!!!  I can tell that I will have to really make an effort to take my own advice not to overdo!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat