+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: ASR Tests ?  (Read 1663 times)

wayne-0

ASR Tests ?
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
This question is for the lucky one's who recieved ASR implants. What specific tests/testing have you had done to ensure that all is well with the implants?
Thanks 
Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Dannywayoflife

Re: ASR Tests ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
The asr was a device made by depuy and was subject to a lot of failures due to the poor design and metulergy. It was recalled about 18 months ago
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

John C

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:07:20 PM »
Hi Wayne,
A good friend of mine had an ASR put in by Dr Schmalzried in LA. After the recall, they checked his metal ion levels. I do not remember exactly, but the numbers came back somewhere between 3 and 5 for Chromium. They said that the numbers were not perfect, but were good enough that it did not warrant further testing (like MRI, CT scans, ultrasound, or joint aspiration). They do want to check the ion levels every year.
 I am not positive, but I think that I read somewhere that Depuy will pay for tests to monitor things, so you might look into that.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:40 PM »
John your always good for a thorough answer, i appreciate that. My cobalt came in at 1.0 and chromium at 1.1 well within normal range. I am not having any issuses and my activity level is still really strong. I did register with J&J Depuy and they will/have paid for everything including revision in the future if it ever gets to that point. Hopefully not. As far as the subject of alot of failures the actual # of failures/issuses is hovering around 13% so that means i am 87% likely to be successful. Just another strong case for having an experienced surgeon place the implants/devices.My doc and I are staying ontop of things however i am curious to see what other testing may have been ordered by other doctors. Thanks again everyone. Gotta go, the waves are good and I need to surf.
Wayne

Luanna

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:07:27 AM »
One of my friends has had her levels measured. The levels were not exceptionally high but her doctor sent her for an MRI last week to check for tissue damage. She is waiting to hear the results. She had surgery 2 years ago and feels great! But she is very anxious about the situation.

Luana
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

John C

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:22:03 AM »
Hi Wayne,
Wow, I am delighted to hear your numbers! 1.0 and 1.1 is fantastic. I am very happy for you, and hope that those numbers are indicative of a very happy relationship between you and your ASR for many years to come.
Just finished a great week of sailing overhead to logo high waves. It has been an exceptional fall wavesailing season here so far. Nothing huge yet, but lots of head-to-logo high days, with just enough wind to get out, but not so much that it chops the faces up. Trying to catch up with you for all those great summer days that you had at San O'.  ;)

David

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
Hi John...how soon after surgery did you get back into windsurfing?
I usually don't go out unless it's blowing steady 20+ and don't want to do anything stupid.
I'm at 7 weeks today.
Thanks.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

John C

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
Hi David,
My doctor (Dr Gross) is adamant and merciless about no impact or "at risk" sports for six months. I asked specifically about windsurfing, and he repeated "six months". Because my surgery was in June, and we are on Maui from May till November, it worked out that it was 11 months before I windsurfed, though I was back snow skiing full time at six months. As you probably know, Maui averages about 25 mph almost every day during the summer, and there can be pretty rough wind chop, which I definitely felt during the first summer. Nothing serious, just some minor soreness with an awareness that the muscles and the joint were dealing with a fair amount of regular impacts from the chop; more than I felt in running trails. By the second season, I stopped noticing it.
Hopefully Wayne will jump in here with his answer to your question as well.

David

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »
Thanks John, that's pretty much what I figured.  I'll be sure to add that to my questions for Dr. Su when I see him next month though.  I've been SUP boarding but not in any waves as of yet.
I'm surprised you felt more impact from the board than trail running.  Been to Maui a few times to sail, but It's been a while.  Might be time for a visit next year with the new found hip.
Thanks...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

JMS

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:16:27 AM »
Just to come back to the original query re the possible tests that could be done if it was suspected there might be a problem. Mine was a BHR not an ASR but I believe the sequence of testing would be pretty similar. 
X-Ray of course would normally be the first test, followed by:
1. Ultrasound. While fluid around the joint can be caused by many issues, it is assumed that fluid will be present if there are problems. 
2. MRI. While the joint itself will not show up of course, the MRI will indicate if there is any evidence of pseudo tumor, as indicated by soft tissue growth around the joint.
3. Metal ion testing.  And/or
4. Hip fluid aspiration

wayne-0

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:59 AM »
Yeah John trust me you get many more days than I do but every time I am out I have it all to myself except for two kiteboarders i see on rare occasions. ;D ;D ;D Hey David I waited a full 12 months to windsurf due to the fact of fairly strong impact as you know this sport can be. The funny thing about my first session post op I had every intention of trying to take it easy. Maybe not trying to jump but a couple three feet off the water. Well after about 20 minutes everything felt so good and right I just started to do a couple higher launches which lead to even higher ones. So my first session I was jumping maybe 10 - 12 feet. Not sure if that was/is stupid but everytime I sail and the wind is right I am jumping at least that and higher. I have been really wanting to do back loops again but thus far I have resisted. The day I do one again I will post it for sure.Thanks Luanna about your friends situation, I am curious to hear how her test results come back. Thanks JMS for the list of tests I will put those on my list just in case.
Wayne

David

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »
Thanks Wayne-O...Yea not really a sport you can hold back on once you're out there, unless you go out with a big board and flat water, then I'd rather be doing something else.  Just have to get it in my mind not to go out until next summer.  Glad you are doing well, looking forward to the loop report.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats