+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stair Climbing Help Please  (Read 3260 times)

Luanna

Stair Climbing Help Please
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
I'm at seven weeks today and am doing really well. I'm a bit frustrated because I am only able to go up stairs with both feet on one step then both feet on the next step etc. How do I get to the point where I can climb stairs normally using only 1 foot per step? I can get my operated leg to land on the next step but that's as far as it goes.

Hoping there's a technique or secret to it.

Thanks,
Luann
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Lopsided

Re: Stair Climbing Help Please
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
Luann, there came a point where I noticed that I could flex - bring my knee up comfortably, and that is when I could go up stairs alternately. It did not take seven weeks for me, but I do not think it matters if it takes longer. The PT that I had definitely made it easier.

Next time you get PT, ask for exercises to help you flex.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
Hi Luanna

I am assuming you are not using any walking aids.  Maybe a cane might be helpful for awhile. I just posted a new page on how to do stairs with a cane or crutches.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/stairscaneorcrutch.php

I think you are probably past that point.  You can always use the handrail for some support for push up and going down with one leg at a time.  As your PT for some info about how to do stairs normally. I think we are all a little worried about the new hip and whether it will properly support us.  As long as you are still stiff and worried, I would use a walking aid or hang on to the rail.  Also get some more input from a PT.

Just be careful.  It takes a long time to become flexible for many people.  I did a lot of water walking around the 6 week point of my recovery to loosen everything up and get moving normally.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luanna

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:25:46 PM »
Thanks Lop and Pat. I appreciate the information. It is definitely a matter of both confidence and flexibility. Pat, per your suggestion I used a cane and stair rail and that certainly helped. Showed me that I can do it and it doesn't hurt. I've avoided stairs this whole time and that was probably not too clever.

I'll take it easy and also ask my PT to help me on it. She mentioned it this week but we didn't have time to pursue it.

Thanks again.
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
Hi Luanna, I think it just takes time and repetition. If you haven't done much with stairs, then probably those muscles are weak and they need to be worked. One thing that helped me was an exercise that my PT had me do:

• Step forward like a walking step with the operated leg.
  • Rock forward until your rear foot is bearing very little weight (heel off the ground).
  • Rock back until your front foot has little weight on it (roll back on its heel, toe off the ground).
  • Repeat

This was when I wanted something to strengthen me to get me up those stairs, it worked both to strengthen the leg and provide some easy stretching. She also had me put my foot up on a chair from a standing pose. Good luck, you'll get there.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »
Hi Hernanu,
Thanks so much. The heel-toe exercise seems easy for me. I'm keeping my back good-leg foot flat on the ground so that the operated leg is doing all the moving. Is that correct?

Next I'll try the foot on the chair......

Yeah- progress!
Luanna

David

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
Luanna...you just need some repetitive strengthening.
Start at the base of your staircase and do repetitive stepups on the first step and try raising the opposite knee as high as you can before stepping back down.  Have the handrail or your crutches in front for support at first.  After a while you will be doing many sets of them without any support and climbing stairs without any thought about doing so.
Everyone progresses differently, your PT should know and be helping you progress as you are able.
Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

John C

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 04:36:54 PM »
I great exercise to build up for stairs, is using the steps out of a pool. Since the water supports part of your body weight, it allows you to make the full motion with less weight bearing. The lower the step in the pool, the more the water supports some of your weight. As you work your way up to the higher steps, you will feel your muscles working more. Just put your foot up on the step with the right amount of challenge, and then repeatedly rise up and down on that leg.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
Hi Hernanu,
Thanks so much. The heel-toe exercise seems easy for me. I'm keeping my back good-leg foot flat on the ground so that the operated leg is doing all the moving. Is that correct?

Next I'll try the foot on the chair......

Yeah- progress!
Luanna

Well, I rock forward a bit so my back heel picks up as I go forward, then rock back - puts fairly gentle pressure on the front leg for as much as you can handle for now. John and David had some other good exercises. When you get strong enough, just tackle those stairs.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement and the exercises. David, the repetitive strengthening exercise really works my operated leg well. At first it doesn't want to go up very high but by the 10th rep. it is much more flexible.

John C., using the steps in a pool sounds great. I need to join the local Y again. I used to swim on a team and really enjoy being in, on, and under water. Can't wait to do some pool walking, working the pool steps, and starting on some easy laps soon.

Thanks again. I have a feeling that I'll be ready to tackle those stairs in no time Hern.

Luanna

JMS

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »
John's suggestion of using the pool steps is a great one, that really helped me get strong again on stairs. I also liked the fact that if I did wobble, the worse that could happen was to fall gently back in the water, so I was able to do the exercises without holding onto the rail, which helped my balance.

If you can't get to the pool, an easy way to begin is to step up and down onto the telephone book, while resting one hand on the kitchen counter for stability.  My PT had me stepping on and off forwards, backwards and sideways.

Luanna

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 10:00:34 PM »
Just tried using a phone book and that worked well. It's a good first step!!!!

Thanks JMS.

Luanna

bothdone

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:12:51 AM »
The advice I was given was that your unoperated leg leads going upstairs and your operated leg leads going downstairs.

The physio gave me a reminder:

The good go to heaven (going upstairs)
The bad go elsewhere (going downstairs)

Is that the same advice others were given?

I wouldn't worry about doing one step at a time - bringing both feet together and then going up another step.   It'll happen when you are ready.   In fact, thinking about it, one step at a time seems a pretty good idea for recovery.... :)

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Luanna

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
Hi Ed,
I don't recall hearing about the "going to heaven" and "going elsewhere" saying. That's a good one. My PT says "up with the good" and "down with the bad".

Your advice is very reasonable. I tried ALL the exercises yesterday that everyone recommended and I think I'll take it a bit easier today!!!!  :)

Luanna

JMS

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
My PT had me do "good to god" and "bad to the devil" at the very beginning when all I needed was a way to function when faced with stairs or curbs.  Once I got down to strengthening exercises however, then the reverse was true as a way to work the weak muscle.

Luanna

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »
Hi JMS,
Thanks for the input. So, when strong enough I should go up with the bad foot and down with the good foot. That may be another few days but I can see how it would strengthen the muscles.

Luanna

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear