+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Left Hip Resurfaced with Dr. Gross  (Read 1924 times)

Anniee

Left Hip Resurfaced with Dr. Gross
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
I finally had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross last week.  It feels great to have it over with!  As expected, the surgery went as well as the first hip and Dr. Gross and his staff, as well as the staff at Providence are still wonderful!  I had the surgery at noon on Wednesday, and left the hospital to return home to Aiken (about 65 miles away) on Thursday afternoon, after my occupational and physical therapy sessions.

An interesting difference with this hip was that I woke up that first night with pretty severe pain in my left leg.  I never had very much pain with my right hip.  I am wondering if part of the reason has to do with the Polar Care machine to keep the operated leg iced.  For my first surgery, the Polar Care was going constantly from the time I got out of surgery until they got me out of bed the following morning.  This time, the orders were to not use the Polar Care during the night.  I ended up calling the nurse to tell her about the pain, and asking to have the Polar Care put back on.  She was a little reluctant because of Dr. Gross's orders, but she did put it back, and also gave me a little shot of morphine, and I was fine after that.  When I told Dr. Gross about it the next morning, he said it was good they put the Polar Care back on, but he had no real explanation of why this leg would hurt more than the other. I guess as others have said, each hip is different!  At this point, I'm off the narcotics and walked 1/4 mile this morning with one crutch.  I will probably switch to the cane tomorrow.

I think some people must have overused the Polar Care and done some damage, because the instructions for using it at home have changed to "use it as much as possible the first week", to use it frequently for an hour each time, then take it off for an hour.  I meant to ask Dr. Gross, but we started talking about the trochanteric flip approach, and I forgot!  I'll do a separate post about that that conversation.

Interestingly, in the group physical therapy session for all 5 of Dr. Gross's patients who had resurfacing the same day as I did, all of us were bilateral!  Two guys had had their first hip resurfaced the previous Monday, and the second hip on Wednesday.  Another lady, like me, had had her previous surgery by Dr. Gross about 6 months ago, and one guy had had his first hip resurfaced by a doctor in Kentucky.  The guy from Kentucky said that although his first surgery was successful, there was no comparison in the way he was treated by Dr. Gross and the Providence hospital staff.  As he put it, they are in a class of their own, and I completely agree.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:33:19 PM by Pat Walter »
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: All Done!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
Hi Anniee

Glad to hear you are done and getting along well.  Most of the surgeons have said that you can expect different recoveries when you do two hips. They have no explanation why, but it is very common.

I hope you contiue to have a quick recovery.  Stay in touch.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
Good job - Anniee!  A few folks here wondered how it went.  Sounds like you're doing really well.  I know you've done this before, but my orders to you are, "don't take on too much, too soon." 

Yeah those bilats are a crazy bunch.   ;)
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Luanna

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Congratulations Anniee. Wow...you have such a great attitude about the surgery and your expectations for an excellent recovery. Like that alot! I'm hearing so many good things about Dr. Gross and his staff from this site. Very impressive.

Hope your recovery is smooth as silk!!!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

lori.36

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
Great news.  Want to know when you can shave your leg this time.   ;)  Welcome home and enjoy.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Luanna

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
Lori, I have been wondering about shaving legs too but was hesitant to bring it up.  I'm beginning to look like a gorilla.  ;D

Anniee, do you have any secrets to share about this?

Luanna

RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
Before the shaving talk gets too busy - great news and Congrats Annie! you've joined the bilat club...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anniee

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

Lori, I made sure I shaved my legs the morning of the surgery this time, because I knew that, unlike you, I would not be able to do it again for a while!

Luanne, Lori is the one that somehow managed to shave her legs just a few days after the surgery.  Cannot remember exactly what she did, only that I would not be able to do the same.  So I'm afraid I looked like a gorilla for a few weeks too.  I did try taping the shaver to a long handle, but it did not work well...
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
Congrats on the successful surgery!  I have a thing for Dr Gross and Lee too!!  I'm hoping for a discount on my second HR since they left a staple in my "cheek".  Called them when I discovered it and Lee told me it was to secure the surgical drapes around the hip.  Once I figured that it didn't hold my leg on, I pulled it out.  I ended up apologizing to them figuring that my flabby buttock must have hidden it.  THAT's why I need to run!!  Cheers, Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Anniee

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Curt, that is really funny!  I would definitely request a discount!  Do you have your second surgery schedule yet?

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
Congrats Anniee!  Well now you have them both "behind" you!   ;)  I am almost jealous of all you bilats.  I am hoping that I won't ever have to do my right hip.

Don't try the taping the razor to a long handle again.  I had visions of blood streaming down your leg.   ;D

Best wishes on your recovery.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
No second scheduled yet...Dr G said I could go a little while on the other one.  As long as he doesn't retire, and keeps practicing I'll wait.  Figure the technology and his know-how only increase with time, and it doesn't hurt near as bad as the other one did.  Only a matter of time, but it can wait.  I know you'll be feeling great soon though...keep us all posted! Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Aerial

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
Been hoping to hear about how things went!  Thanks for the update.  I will be thrilled if I am at your point one week out!  Congrats on getting it over with.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 01:05:16 AM »
Anniee,

Welcome to the bi-lat club! I can't believe that there were that many bi-lats there at Providence at the same time. What's Gross doing, offering a two for one discount now?   ;D

I'm so glad that you are finally done now. It seems not very long ago that you had your first one done. I don't have any advice to give you, after all you've been here before so you know what to do (and what not to do). I can't offer any advice on the leg shaving either. You are at one week, you're at home and the worst is over. That has to feel really good!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Anniee

Re: Left Hip Resurfaced with Dr. Gross
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
Hi Steve, I just realized that this had been moved to the Hip Stories section, so I just read your post!  It was kind of strange to have all bi-lats in that group.  I'm pretty sure there were none in "my" group the first time.  Not sure about the discount thing - I can only tell you that I did not get a two-for-one price!  However, I am so happy to get rid of that joint pain, it's more than worth the price!

Curt, don't wait too long if the other one is hurting.  I don't think I realized how much the pain in my hip joints has affected my life until now when it's gone.  It's heaven!

Dan, don't worry.  The razor on a stick did not work because I could not apply enough pressure to shave the hair of, let alone cut the skin.  I'll just have to be fuzzy and wear long pants for the next few weeks!

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear