+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What I learned about the trochanteric flip  (Read 3135 times)

Anniee

What I learned about the trochanteric flip
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
When Dr. Gross came to see me the day after my surgery, I took the opportunity to ask him about the trochanteric flip (osteotomy) approach to resurfacing.  I have been curious about this since Carla (T. Flippy Hippy) started posting, and I think others on this site may be interested also.  I actually took some notes afterwards so I would not forget what he said, because I was still on narcotics.  I think my notes are pretty accurate.

Dr. Gross said this procedure was developed by Dr. Ganz in Switzerland for performing hip impingement surgery.  Some doctors then started using it for resurfacing.  They theory was that younger people have less blood supply to the femoral head, and therefore, this approach would work better for younger people.  However, Dr. Gross, who has performed many, many resurfacing operations on younger people, said he has not found this to be true.

Most of the doctors who used this approach for resurfacing have now stopped because of complications due to problems with the osteotomy not healing (4-5%), and if it does not heal properly, the patient becomes a cripple.  The rate of femoral head problems with the posterior approach is less then 1%.  Dr. Gross said he did perform one surgery using this approach and concluded that any possible advantages did not justify the risk.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

jjmclain

Re: What I learned about the trochanteric flip
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
You are so right T Flip! It is not a contest over whose approach is better...we have all chosen the surgeon that is best for our circumstances. I think it is great to have you on this forum to bring the knowledge of this different approach to any future hippies that are faced with it.

June

lori.36

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
Annie, 
1st ? what kinda drugs are you on and why?   ::)
2nd Great information for all new users and existing users.  I remember when Carla first posted about this, everyone was apprehensive on this approach, but she still found her surgeon.  She choose her surgeon and let him make the choice on the approach, which I think we are all supporting her with her recovery.  We want for Carla to heal, we just want new users to be informed of the risk with this approach. 
Carla,  I find it interesting that you are going to have the posterior approach on your other hip.  It will be interesting to hear of the comparrisons at that time.  My BHR changed my life and I am thrilled that I did it and I hope you are also.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

David

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 02:22:30 PM »
Carla,
Once the decision is made to do a BHR or THR, the fact that one has or had a FAI has nothing to do with the approach or surgery. What am I missing or misinterpreting?
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
David, I think you are correct.

Carla, I certainly did not mean to criticize your choice of surgeon or his approach, and I definitely understand the limitations many of us have in regards to insurance coverages and other financial issues.  We all have to make our own decisions in regards to these matters.  As Lori says, we all support you in your recovery, and that definitely includes me!   However, since you started posting on this site, I have been very interested in getting my doctor's opinion of the procedure that you had, because it is so different from the surgical approach most of the rest of us had,  and I wanted to share the information here because I know many others are also interested.  After all, that is one of the purposes of this site!

Lori, I was on Oxycontin and Nucynta for pain.  Also, I had had a shot of morphine during the night.  I was afraid to trust my memory without taking notes! :)

Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
"My surgeon is smarter than your surgeon"
"Oh yea?  Well my surgeon can beat up your surgeon" 
;)  ;D  ;D  ;D
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Luanna

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »
That's too funny Dan. Can't imagine OUR soft spoken gentle surgeon ever lifting his voice, let alone his fist to anyone...although...you get him going about his latest research and he can get kinda excited!!  :)

It's funny how everyone thinks their surgeon is the BEST of the BEST.... well..unless something doesn't go quite right...

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »
I feel fortunate to have a "designer" surgeon  :) in my home state.  I appreciate that travel is not available to everyone.  A few years back I had fairly complicated reconstructive jaw surgery (for medical not cosmetic reasons).  Like hip doctors there are some very preferred surgeons out there for this type of surgery.  However, I found a very, very good doctor right in my home state.  He did a wonderful job.  I think the point is you have to be comfortable with your choice after meeting the doctor and his/her staff.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »
Dan,

Hilarious! I was thinking the same thing. I don't think anyone on here is trying to offend anyone. I admit that I would have asked Dr. Gross about the "flip" just out of curiosity. I'm sure that I'll have some questions to ask him about other surgeons and techniques when I see him next time.

T-Flip,

I admire your spirit. I'm glad that you are here and you keep coming back. Your posts have been inspiring and you have added life to this forum. Sorry, fellow Hippys, I don't mean to suggest you guys are dull. Well....maybe I am.  ???  We are in different situations and have to do what we have to do. I look forward to your posts as you progress in your recovery.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Luanna

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »
Hi T. Flip,
Good information. Thanks for providing it.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
I was told that FAI does increase the difficulty of a HR slightly mainly because if toy have the cam deformity it makes not notching the femoral neck harder to achieve. I have both cam and pincer deformity but Mr treacy only mentioned the cam as effecting the difficulty of the surgeory.
I really carnt wait to join the hippy club! 21 days to go!!! (not that I'm counting!):-)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Luanna

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »
Thanks Vicky. Good data. I appreciate reading research reports. Less opinion and more facts based.
Luanna

Anniee

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
Vicky, thanks for the information!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat