+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre-surgery condition(s) relation to post surgery recovery  (Read 1667 times)

bryanb

Pre-surgery condition(s) relation to post surgery recovery
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »
I have been curious about this topic since I started reading posts on surface hippy.  A person who has opted for this procedure is obviously suffering and will ultimately find relief post surgery.  With that said, there is a physiological difference in going a couple of years of bone on bone vs. entering surgery with a hint of cartilage intact.  From your experiences, how much do you think the state of degradation relates to recovery and more specifically walking unassisted?

Aerial

Re: Pre-surgery condition(s) relation to post surgery recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »
Great question.  I wonder the same thing.  I am ultimately waiting four months to have my surgery due to my job.  I have noticed a real downward trend to my hip strength and range of motion in the past three months or so.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
Based upon what my xrays looked like before and after, I would have to offer the non-medical opinion that the end result will be about the same.  As the joint goes through more degradation, it seems to develop more cysts, spurs and the like.  Also, the bone on bone certainly hurts more acutely than moderate OA.  While almost all the damage and rough areas will be cleaned up during he HR, the new joint should replace any and all bone contact if it is postioned correctly.  According to Dr. Gross, any malformities found during the operation will be removed or smoothed with bone grafting.  In my case the bone on bone just made the decision a no brainer...I was basically crippled and couldn't walk or sleep.  Opinion...it won't affect the recovery.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »
My non-medical and non-expert opinion is the same as curt's. I think that once the wreckage is cleaned up and filled in and finished with a nice smooth, shiny brand new hip surface it shouldn't matter what the state of degradation was before. At least that is what the bone part of the recovery should be.

However the soft tissues that were effected by possibly walking with a limp and compensating for the loss of range of motion and just guarding yourself from a possible unexpected stab of pain may effect the recovery to some degree I would think. There is probably a difference in recovery between someone who suffered with bad hips for 2 years as compared to someone who did for 10 years. That's as far as the soft tissues are concerned. That's an excellent question, bryanb.

My hips went really bad over a 3 year period. That's a short amount of time as compared to someone who suffered for a much longer time. I suppose that may have been one of the factors in my quick recovery...maybe?

Aerial, you are the way I was about 4 months before my surgery. There was a very rapid change in the state of my hips in probably about a 6 month time period. To me it seems as though once the joint reaches a certain stage it really goes bad fast. Be glad that you are scheduled and you'll soon be done.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

bryanb

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:33 AM »
I agree with the last two posts comcerning the actual joint.  Our doctors are evaluating x-rays, specifically looking at the joint and then performing a surgery that returns the joint to a functioning state.  As far as the soft tissue around the joint, leading to our backs and our knees that is a whole different story.  I guess the only reason that I raise this question is to try and make a bit more sense of the rates of recovery, in addition to the wide ranging variations in protocols post surgery. 

My decline in the months leading up to surgery was so debilitating that I viewed my surgery as though I was going to be given a winning lottery ticket!

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
I saw a slight variation on my first (bone on bone for about a year or so) and my second (slight bit of cartilage left). I think it may have been due to some of the technology used for each and the state of my hip (sounds like a presidential address... four score and seven months ago... my hip started to kick my.... ).

My left hip was bone on bone, I was out of the hospital in three days, the recovery was longer partly due to a drain being put in which needed to heal along with my incision; the hip itself, though had no restrictions and I was exercising and weight bearing as soon as possible. recovery to unassisted was about five weeks, to one crutch about a week, driving in two, showering in one. Back to work in five weeks.

My right hip still had cartilage, I was out of the hospital in two days, because of a new type of bandage (to me), a silver flat, water resistant bandage, I was able to shower right away. Walking unaided was bout the same, about five weeks (maybe four), to one crutch in a week, driving in two, despite the fact that this was my right (no issues with motion of the foot from accelerator to brake and back). Back to work in five weeks.

So the recoveries were essentially the same, much less swelling from the second, but I attribute that to the amazingly good silver bandage and not having any stitches / sutures / steri strips the second time around, just the bandage and glue.

Obviously someone having no or low weight bearing on one and no restrictions on the other has significant differences, but mine, although there, were not significant and overall the recovery time was the same.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal