+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recliners  (Read 1865 times)

Boomer

Recliners
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:10:23 PM »
I have read quite a few posts about how helpful recliners are during the recovery period. We are fortunate to have a Laz-E Boy store close to where we live. We're going shopping this weekend.

Any suggestions, recommendations? I had no idea there were so many recliners out there. Motors and heaters? Wow!

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Re: Recliners
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »
Motors and heaters! Man, my Laz-E-Boy is really out dated! I haven't looked at them for years, many years, so I can't offer any suggestions. Just Do It! Get one, you won't regret having it during your recovery. As a matter of fact, I still like mine. My son dragged it up out of the basement so I could use it post op and it is still in the living room. That is one item you gotta have!  8)
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

JMS

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
Like you I went shopping for a recliner shortly before surgery, so I was in considerable pain at the time.  I found nearly all of the models worked well when going into the recline position, but some of the stiffer ones that forced me to push down hard with my calves when  trying to return to the upright position put a painful strain on the hip.  I assumed it would  be even more problematic in the days immediately after surgery, so I went with the motorized version.  That certainly made it easy to change position, even immediately after surgery, and rather than the all or nothing option that some of the cheaper chairs give, it gave me a wide range of slight position changes that I was glad of during recovery when no position seemed comfortable for too long.

Now that I am recovered from both surgeries, the chair still gets good use, but the gentle pace of the motor return is irritatingly slow when the phone is ringing on the other side of the room.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:57:09 AM by JMS »

Anniee

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »
I love my recliner during recovery!!!!  It adjusts to allow me to sit or recline in several different positions, which are different from my bed or couch.  Sometimes it really helps to be able to go from one to the other.  Mine is not fancy with motors, which sounds like it might be a good idea right after surgery; however, I have had no problem pushing with my calves to get it upright.  Of course, mine is several years old - maybe this would be more of an issue with a new one.   My advice is to get one that really fits your body and feels comfy. When I shopped for mine, I was quite surprised at the differences in comfort-level between chairs that looked very similar!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »
Bought the recliner this morning and take delivery in a week. Just being able to sit in one during the shopping was a joy! This was a good decision.

JMS are you telling me that you can now spring out of a chair when the telephone rings? I hope thats true, because I haven't been able to spring out of a chair for a long time. LOL!
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

JMS

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
Leaping around all over the place - and you will be too!  Hope the chair works well for you.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat