+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 Days Post-Op w Dr. Gross  (Read 3577 times)

Anniee

10 Days Post-Op w Dr. Gross
« on: October 22, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
Today, I am 10 days post-op from my left hip resurfacing and feeling really great! (Although I still need my afternoon naps :).) I have ditched the cane walking around the house - it seems a little early, but I keep forgetting to grab it and can walk just fine without it.  I do still take it for my twice daily walks outside.  I think it would be difficult for anyone who has not been in this situation to quite understand how wonderful it feels to be able to walk without hip pain!  The soreness from the surgery is very minor at this point, compared to the joint pain I had before.

Here are some differences I have noted about my two surgeries:

I had virtually no pain after the surgery on my right hip - the left one was much more painful immediately afterwards, but that did not last long, and it's fine now.

I never had a problem lifting my right leg up to get into bed - I had to use the leg lifter contraption for my left one for a couple of days.

My right hip was quite swollen for at least 3 weeks post-surgery - the left one was swollen for only about 1 week and I can actually get into my tight jeans at this point.

After the first surgery, I had a huge bruise on my calf just below the knee on the operated leg - no such bruising on my left leg.

I don't think I was able to get rid of the cane this quickly the first time.  Don't know if it was because I was more afraid then to put all my weight on the operated leg, and that I'm more confident with the second one?  The left leg feels quite strong and very stable at this point.  Or maybe the fact that the left hip was still in bad shape when I was recovering from the first surgery. 

What I find interesting about this is that I had the same surgeon, surgical approach and hospital both times.  Even so, the experience was a little different for each surgery, some things were better and some worse with each one (although the "worse"s were minor), but I can tell already that the outcome for both will be the same (unless I do something stupid to mess things up, which I will try to avoid). 

One of the great things about this site is that there are so many people contributing, who had their surgeries performed by many different doctors with different approaches, post-surgery protocols, etc., and we get to hear about and learn from their experiences.  And in the vast majority of cases, the outcome is great in spite of those differences!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:44:16 PM by Pat Walter »
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

obxpelican

Re: 10 Days Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
Assuming the doctor did not misalign the hardware you are right, most people recover very well.

10 days out and you are done with your cane, that is friggin awesome!  At day 10 I was only attempting to go without a crutch.  I think as far as Dr. Gross patients go I was a turtle recovery.

Keep up the good recovering.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Anniee

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »
Chuck, if I remember correctly, the turtle still won the race?
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

maxx6789

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 06:52:56 PM »
so happy for you anniee!! wishing you all the best with this recovery.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:53:29 PM by maxx6789 »
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
Chuck, if I remember correctly, the turtle still won the race?

And the turtle lives longer ;D
 too!

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
Way to go Annie.  I can tell you I can not wait to have that feeling of now hip pain!  Keep up the good speedy recovery!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »

I think it would be difficult for anyone who has not been in this situation to quite understand how wonderful it feels to be able to walk without hip pain! 

Good job, Anniee! I was in a WalMart store today. It is still such a joy to walk, no, glide is more like it, through a store from one end to the other so smoothly and comfortably. I'll never take it for granted how fortunate I was to have HR. I'm looking forward to more posts from you about your progress.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Luanna

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
Great progress Anniee. I'm in awe!!!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »
Congratulations!  It's good to hear that you are doing so well.

I'm three weeks out from getting both done at once with Dr. Marwin at NYU and I hope I can recover as quickly as you are.

Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Anniee

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »
Steve, I don't think I'll ever take it for granted either.  I'm so thankful that this surgery exists!  It must have been awful in the days before hip resurfacing or replacement when you just had to live with the pain!  I'm sure I would have been in a wheelchair in the next couple of years without the surgery.

Luanne, I'm a little in awe myself. It took me longer with the first hip, and I'm just grateful that this one feels so strong so quickly.  Definitely in awe of the skill of my surgeon!  Just have to remember not to overdo...

Woodstock, very best wishes for your surgery!  The three weeks will be gone before you know it, and you will feel so much better!

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
So good to hear how good you're doing, Annie. You are done and now can just concentrate on the recovery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
Good Job, unicycling in no time, eh? ???

Watch out on ditching the cane too early.  I mentioned that I over did it at 4 weeks and I made the limp real bad by not walking with some support, like a cane.  If you're not going far maybe it doesn't matter much. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Tin, I don't plan on doing unicycling any time soon!  And I do take my cane for longer walks, because I'm very aware of the limping issue, even though I really don't need it anymore.  I really, really don't want to overdo anything and have to start over!

Anniee

Back to the Gym!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »
Well, I couldn't wait any longer - I went back to the gym yesterday.  It felt really good, even though I did not do a whole lot, since I really do not want to mess anything up!  I walked 1/2 mile on the treadmill at slow speed, and did a light, seated upper body workout.  It felt so good!  One more step towards normality!

Luanna

Re: 10 Days Post-Op w Dr. Gross
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »
Excellent! That is inspiring. I just started back at 8 weeks and it does feel GREAT!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
Excellent news Annie! Nothing says you're back to normal like shortened breath and sore muscles  ;D . Congrats.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sdunn4

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »
I am 8-days post op with Dr. Gross, and this has been my first "Aha!" day.  Everything seems better- physical state, mental state, etc.  My wife and I walked for around 1/2 hour with me using just 1 crutch but walking so much faster and with more weight on the hip.  No pain like before with the OA!  I am just using the Celebrex 2x/ day per Dr. Gross's orders for the first 2 weeks, and some Tylenol this morning for pain.  I can't wait- each day now seems to be better!!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

Anniee

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
Steve, it sounds like you're doing really well, which is great!  Keep up the good work!

After the first few days, all I did was the Celebrex twice a day and Tylenol as needed.  I finished with the Celebrex the other day, so now it's just Tylenol as needed.  I did need some last night and today, because I was sore from my workout!  Not the upper body, but my legs.  The only thing I can figure is that walking on the treadmill is different from walking outside

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
Steve and Anniee-

Great reports.  The progress the first couple of weeks is noticeable.  Keep pushing and you will be amazed how the body responds.

Before you know it you will be going for long stretches without even thinking about your hip.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
        I'm such a wimp sometimes, but I'm taking a day off tomorrow.  Stretching only!!  My non-operative side is sore for all the right reasons.  Just hit four weeks and the walking every day is actually making my muscles sore for the first time in 9 months (when things really started going down hill with my hip).  Anyway, the hip feels good, but want to rest so I can continue to improve without getting sloppy.  Nice to have this problem after soooo long!  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat