+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sky diving  (Read 9998 times)

Dannywayoflife

Sky diving
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
I did several tandem jumps while I was in the states 7 years ago and have always wanted to complete my aff. Has anyone returned to or started sky diving post HR?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Luanna

Re: Sky diving
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »
I almost tried it once years ago but chickened out - all geared up and everything. Don't think I'll be doing it after HR or ever. But it looks like it would be tons of fun if you aren't as afraid of heights as I seem to be.
 ;D
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
It's awesome! I use to be afraid of heights but I like doing things that scare the s### out of me! I don't think it should be a problem after HR as I was told it would be fine with a THR. I just carnt wait to get my life back!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

chris finn

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »
I don't think it should be a problem after HR as I was told it would be fine with a THR.

Complete opposite of what I was told by my surgeon. When I asked if there were any restrictions on sport, he said "yes...no diving" So I said "sky or underwater?" and he said "both" .....cant remember the exact reasons why (I swear my memory is getting worse) but at the time they seemed very intelligent and sensible.

BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »
The surgeon I saw who does THR said I could even run on one. I was a bit sceptical about that tho. But with sky diving there's generally very little impact.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

John C

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:52:17 AM »
But with sky diving there's generally very little impact.

The key word here is "generally" ;)

The last time that I went parachuting (many years ago), a strong cross wind came up at the last minute and blew us away from the planned landing area, and into a steep rocky hillside :o  I ended up cracking my helmet in half, and the gal in our group broke her leg. Probably partly due to inexperience on our parts, along with the fact that we were using army surplus parachutes which were designed to get you down fast. :(
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 01:13:14 AM »
True John. But let's face it as you say military kit has never been designed for comfort!  :o and to be fair sky diving is far less stressful on the body than an activity like say running and there's plenty of hippys out there putting a fair few miles in with there new joint.
Mind here's me looking at activitys way down the line and I haven't been sliced and diced yet! but I've lost so much life already in the last 14 months I am dreaming about being active again!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

dwbitt

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
I believe in one of Pat's interviews with Mr. McMinn he stated he had lifted his original restrictions for his patients to 'sky dive' or 'bungee jump' after receiving videos of said activities by some patients.

Just one Surgeons opinion but he's been doing this for awhile.

Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »
I believe in one of Pat's interviews with Mr. McMinn he stated he had lifted his original restrictions for his patients to 'sky dive' or 'bungee jump' after receiving videos of said activities by some patients.

Just one Surgeons opinion but he's been doing this for awhile.

Dave
Very true mate. Mr Treacy told me the only things he isnt keen on people doing is running marathons regularly and playing rugby but then he said people still dont listen to him and seem to be fine!
Mind I have to get the dam thing put in first! Heres to the 9th!!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Daytona Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
Hi its been about 3 years now since i last posted on here re hip resurfacing and skydiving. At the time my surgeon was fine with me skydiving and i recently went for a check up and asked the same question and got the same answer. Which is good as I have done almost 150 skydives since my op. Hope this helps.  ;D

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
Sweet thanks Dave! I'm hoping to do a dive next year so I'll be well over 12 months post op by then.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Anna

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »

Hi its been about 3 years now since i last posted on here re hip resurfacing and skydiving. At the time my surgeon was fine with me skydiving and i recently went for a check up and asked the same question and got the same answer. Which is good as I have done almost 150 skydives since my op. Hope this helps.  ;D

150 skydives since your op?!!!! Sweeeeeet  8)

Theres hope for me yet then. Never let a dodgy hip ruin your fun. I'll do one with ya Danny !
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
"normally" there are no problems.  Yes - but what if you are the statistic for the abnormal?  I still think we should treat our new hips conservatively and great care.  Think how many things you could have done besides sky diving - if you had that one bad landing.  You can think about it in the hospital while waiting for your revisions to heal.

The surgeons give in and say do what you want - but I attend the conference and courses where they shake their heads at the crazy things hip resurfacing patients do.  They prefer you be conservative and adjust your lifestyle so your hip resurfacing lasts a lifetime. 

Why push it to see just how far you can until you break something?  Don't forget most of you had bad hips to start with, so why take the chance of hurting the resurfacing or causing more problems in the other hip.

I believe in being conservative - God gave me a second chance.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
To be honest pat if I let this new hip change my life anymore then I may aswell get a personality transplant. Having done a few sky dives and done a lot of other very extreme stuff I'd rate sky diving as pretty safe. I'm waiting the full 12 months (well actually it will be nearer 14 as I'm waiting till the new year) but then I'm going to crack on! I could get run over by a bus way before my new BHR gives out. 
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

John C

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
Good for you Daytona Dave. I wish you many more happy jumps. I jumped just a couple of times many years ago, and between my lack of skills, and the army surplus chutes from WWII that we were using, I pretty much hit the ground like a brick; even cracked the helmet on one landing. I have a feeling that your skills and equipment make for some much more dignified landings than mine.
I can relate to both Pat's and Danny's comments. Pat's relates to my head, and Danny's relates to my heart. I think that for many of us there is a good compromise in there somewhere that listen's to both. Experienced extreme athletes take calculated risks all the time, and the key word is "calculated". Whether the risk is getting caught in an avalanche, drilled into the reef by a 30 foot wave, or having your chute get tangled, the key for the experienced athlete is to know and account for all the risk equations, minimize the risks where possible, and then adjust his actions according to his skill and willingness to pay the costs. Do I take my hip into account as one of the risk factors in the equation; absolutely. But if the risk versus reward/costs equation balances out, it still leaves plenty of room to push the adventure boundaries for those of us that value it as a key part of our lives.
I applaud Pat for reminding us of the risk, and I applaud Daytona and Danny for taking that risk into account, and following their passions.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

bilateralbliss

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »
Danny, please listen to Pat. i`m all for life`s too short enjoy it BUT Derek Mcminn told me only thing of limits when fully recovered was bungee jumping and sky diving. Fine to do  with anything else, that`s a choice but not the most dangerous one. After all you`ve gone through would hate to see on here you were unlucky with that one. After all he did pioneer the invention. Your body, your choice of course, but please reconsider and be content
with all the other sports you can return to.
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM