+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Year update after Revision to MoM THR  (Read 4370 times)

revision

3 Year update after Revision to MoM THR
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »
Hi All. I know I have a MoM THR but though that some of you might like to read a very short update on my progress 3 years after my revision from BHR to THR.

I had my revision Surgery preformed by Dr Keon De Smet in 2008. I was nervous at that time about my future as I am now only 45 and very active. I had my metals ions checked this week and my Chromium was 0.9ug/l and Cobalt 1.9 ug/l.

My big fear after the MoM THR revision was would I really be able to be active again. The answer is yes. I currently swim 1 km a day 6 days a week. I walk regular 4 to 5 km walks several times a week. I manage and training a soccer team twice a week and work hard without many problems as I am an electrician. There  are days when I do know I have a lump of metal inside me but 99% of the time all is really good.

To those of you who may face a Revision as some stage its not as bad as it sounds. I am sad my BHR didnt last more than 6 months but delighted with my THR revision.

Thanks for listening

Revision

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: 3 Year update after Revision to MoM THR
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
Sounds awesome.  One of the reasons that I was so excited about doing a HR was that I had the option to go to a THR if necessary.  Basically, my hip was so bad that I had to do SOMETHING!  Its great that you have such a good activity level.  Gives me the confidence that a THR while not preferred is still a quantum improvement over severe OA.  Best of luck.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
Hi Revision

Thanks for posting and letting us know how you are doing.  I am so glad you took time to let new people know that a MOM THR still allows you to be active without any restrictions.  Of course, we all want resurfacings if we can, but if we require a THR, we can still be active with a large ball, MOM style THR.

Good Luck.  I look forward to your post next year to let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
Im glad that your revision was sucsessful mate! What THR device were you revised to?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

revision

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »
Hi Danny,

I had the Wright Conserve Total Hip with Big Femerol Head. My cup size was 56mm OD and my femoral head was 50mm OD.

Revision

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »
Ok cool, that's good to know. Why did your BHR go wrong if you don't mind me asking.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Also do you have any restrictions on activity?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

revision

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »
Hi Danny,

I was unlucky to choose a surgeon that placed my acetabular cup at a 60 degree angle and anteverted my femoral componet. The combination of both of these meant I had a severe impingment and a permanent tight hip feeling with pain.

It all boils down to picking a surgeon with experience first time round which I didnt do. Anyway thats very old news now and things couldnt be better at present. I have no restrictions from Dr De Smet.

I have gotten to know my own body well in the past couple of years and feel I know what to do and what not to do at this stage. To me my ultimate test was in a water park while on holidays with my family last summer. I  went on every water slide there with the kids,crashing into the water at high speed. For me that was the ultimate test being trashed around at high speed with impact and I am here to tell the tale.

Revision

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
That's good to know mate thanks. Unfortunately realistically I'll have to be revised at some point in my life as I'm only 28 and was mega active before all this and want to be again after I'm fixed. I think I've got the surgeon right for me Mr Treacy will be my surgeon and he has a good track record so I should recover well. I just feel better knowing even if I were to get say 20 years out of a HR that I could go to a THR and still do my stuff.
I'm glad you got sorted in the end mate.
Where about are you from by the way? I'm in sussex uk.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
Thanks for checking in, revision - it's great to hear your experience with a THR. Like Danny mentions, for all of us, the possibility of a revision is always there, and like hearing from long term HR folks, it's great to hear from long term THR revision folks. Thank you and check in again.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
Yeah Hearn I know a lot of guys on here say that a well placed HR shouldn't need revising but I think that for young people like myself is unrealistic. If that happens great but it does make me feel better knowing that there's also a fall back that is good also. I want to be active as long as poss! I love this site it's great to hear about about other people's journeys i find it's really helped me mentally.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

revision

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
I posted back in October to give you my positive news that my 3 year metals ions test after my revision were great. Chromium was 0.9ug/l and Cobalt 1.9 ug/l.

As part of the blood tests my doctor took a number of other bloods just to give me a general health check. One of these happened to be PSA (prostrate specific antigen) which is a common blood test to indicate if there are any irregularities in the postrate gland. I got the results of this test and the results were very high for my age at 5.5ng/ml. This meant I had to go for further investigation. To cut a very long story short I had a biopsy which proved positive for cancer. This cancer is very rare in someone of my age and with no family history of prostate cancer or indeed family history of any other cancer. As you can imagine this news was difficult particularly after having a failed hip resurfacing and revision surgery to a THR.

I now face immediate major surgery again. The skills I have learned from this website site and from my revision experience has lead me to seek the most experienced surgeon and best surgical technique. This is known as da Vinci nerve saving prostatectomy approach. I will travel to Leipzig in Germany on Jan 2nd to have this surgery under Professor Stolzenburg.

So after the good news about my current metal ions levels I have a trade off with this terrible news about prostate cancer. I personally cannot help wonder if my original failed hip resurfacing is a contributing factor. I will never know. My urologist and oncologist have both asked me about my metal levels 3 years ago and now. My metal levels chromium and cobalt levels were off the ricktor scale 3 years ago before my revision (Chromium was 185ug/l and Cobalt 234 ug/l).

So Guys. That's life and here I go on another journey and hopefully the outcome will be as good as my new THR.

regards,

Revision.

bothdone

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
Hi Revision

I've just read through this thread.  Thank you very much for taking the time to put in your very interesting posts.   I can only imagine what it must have been like to get your latest news.    Please accept my very best wishes for your future.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
Revision-

Thanks for sharing your experience with your revision.  This is why I got an HR. 

It must be comforting to know that the metal levels are so low.  And that you don't have a ton of restrictions.  It was just a long journey to get there.

I guess I look at the prostate test as a godsend.  My father took a routine test for a life insurance policy.  His came back positive and he got it taken care of.  Who knows what would have happened if that test wouldn't have happened.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »
Sorry for the news, but being proactive, hope you got it early. Really good luck and check in.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Kiwi

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Sorry to hear your latest news. You've already been through a lot, but you are doing everything right to get through this.
All the very best for Jan.
Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Our prayers are with you, Revision.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Boomer

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
Revision,

Life has thrown you some seriously tough hurdles to overcome. I have no clever words or helpful advice for you. I'm sorry for what you have to face. I've seen the Di Vinci surgery you are talking about done at the UCLA Medical Center. It is the best medical robot in the world and in the hands of an experienced surgeon like yours offers you the very best prognosis. The UCLA site has quite a bit of info.

Lots of folks here and closer to you are pulling for you. Best wishes.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

rbt2011

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 09:59:46 PM »
Revision,
Really sorry to hear about your current struggles.  Sounds like you have been through more than your fair share of heartache in the last few years.  The good news is that they found it and you have a plan to beat it.  God bless you.  You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
revision,
            im so sorry to hear your recent news of your prostate cancer! I really hope that you get sorted and you will be in my and my familys prayers.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat