+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any recommendations on best car seat for hip OA?  (Read 6218 times)

Jeremy76761

Any recommendations on best car seat for hip OA?
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »

I don't have a resurfacing, but I was wondering if anyone has knowledge or suggestions about the best seat or vehicle for hip OA. I have been told that it's best to have 90 degree seats such as with an SUV rather that a sports car or coup. Not sure if there is a definite answer, but given the experience on this site, hopefully someone can give me some advice.

I have left hip OA and have to buy a new car. Given it is an expensive investment, I can't afford to do again for 10 years, so have to get the best option.

hernanu

Re: Any recommendations on best car seat for hip OA?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
Not sure, really. Before the resurface, I found SUVs that were not 90 miles high to be easier to deal with. I had a Lexus 4xx series, which was low enough and had a step, so I could step up and sit without a lot of bending. The seat was a bucket seat, which was probably the most comfortable and allowed me to swing in and out without much issue. The worst part was the first step, since that required some ROM to stretch up. That's where the intermediate step helped. So pre HR, I'd say the SUV was better.

I've always loved sedans though, and as nice as SUVs are (especially during New England winters), I drove a Lexus ES 330, which is kind of low slung. I adjusted the seats as I described earlier, to have different positions when I got in vs. when I drove. After the HR, I can drive either car with impunity (the LX 4xx is my ex-wife's), so the sedan is my chariot.

Who knows? maybe I can get a sports car, not to show off the car (or compensate for something), but to show off how low the hips can go. No one else but other hippies would know  8).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:10:11 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

rock_chic_fairy

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
I have a Land Rover Freelander, (UK), which is very comfortable, I did drive a Jeep Cherokee and found the seating in that very, very comfortable. One thing I do find makes a huge difference is leather seats, they allow me to slide in with little effort! Getting in and out of low cars is a big no no for me, I sadly have parted with my original Mazda MX5 as it was impossible to get in and even harder to get out!!! The other thing for me, with it being my left hipp, is that I drive an automatic as the clutch becomes hard work xx

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »
Whoops! I didn't even think of automatic vs. standard. Automatic for me.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

MattBrunner

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
Jeremy,

I would agree with the other hippys that an SUV or highers seat is much easier post op.  I wasn't comfortable getting in and out of my Audi for about 4 weeks and the leg would get really stiff even if someone else was driving.  My truck  or SUV I borrowed post OP was easy to get in and much better for moving the resurfaced hip in different position.

Plus the SUV have those great handles to get in and out.  Now at 11 weeks I'm back in the turbo Audi driving all the way down the coast hwy, much more fun!

Oh don't try to get in a little car when you have someone drive you home from surgery that was a painful hour drive in a compact.

Good Luck.

Matt

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
I vote for a smallish SUV or crossover.  I have a Cadillac SRX with leather seats.  It is the perfect car for hip problems, because

1)  it's not so high that it is hard to climb in
2)  it's not so low that you have to fold your hips and legs to uncomfortable angles
3)  the seats can be adjusted almost infinitely to get you to a comfortable position, and changed instantly if you need to change position on long drives
4)  mine has heated seats - feels great on sore joints, especially on cold days!
5) it's easy to slide in and out

I am sure there are other vehicles of similar size that would work as well!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
My girlfriends Versa was the best among the three vehicles I used after surgery.  It was a little lower but not bad.  My Jeep Grand Cherokee with leather seats was next.  Getting in the Jeep was great.  The only problem was it was too high and it hurt when my foot dropped to get out.  The Honda Accord was the worst.  It was also a manual transmission so it came weeks after surgery.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
Before surgery - there wasn't much I could do, but just get in and out slowly and methodically, because it would hurt if I went too fast.  I think the higher vehicles were easy for me, like 4x4 truck but stock lift.  After surgery, the MPV van was pretty comfortable.  Now I ride a bike, but when I drive, vehicles are much easier to get in and out of. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Jeremy76761

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »

A lot of interesting answers.

It really does seem that the consensus is that SUVs or crossovers are easier on the hips before resurfacing and soon after surgery.

Hernanu: Interesting that the vehicle that was not "90 miles high" was better. I imagine that is because getting in and out with a high step can create problems. Wonder if sitting too high also puts more pressure on the hips than sitting into a slight angle.

RockChic: Yes, one thing I have found is that the clutch can really hurt in the groin area if my leg is not strong enough. I wonder if even when strong there is not some imperceptible but consistent wear from the clutch. Automatic must alleviate the hip over time, I would think.

Matt: Good tip about the handles getting in and out.

DGossack: So again, it seems a vehicle too high isn't the best. Interesting.

Anniee: That Cadillac SRX looks pretty sweet on-line. I won't even have to re-mortgage my house, although I might have to put off a hip resurfacing a couple extra years to be able to afford one.  ;) Seriously, a great vehicle, I'm going to test drive one next weekend.

Tin: Guess for you there wasn't a vehicle too high. But yeah, bikes are best. Don't know why, but bikes hurt a lot for me.

T Flip: who would have thought heated seats matter? Thanks for that one. Ironically, I thought only initiated surface hippy's would want the heated seats -- best to keep the butt warm when the metal freezes up in winter. :)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:19:42 PM »
Some folks can ride a bike with OA and some can't.  I couldn't, it was horrible, really painful, had to stand up most of the time, or open my leg outward with each stroke, but still hurt.  Not an ounce of pain now when I ride. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »
Jeremy, the trick to buying a Cadillac is to not get a brand new one.  One that is slightly used (20-30K miles) will be close to half the price of new one.  Think of all the money you can save!  Let me know what you think of it after your test drive!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear