+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Prittchet  (Read 36997 times)

Tin Soldier

Re: Dr. Prittchet
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 02:11:12 AM »
Matt - I found that you have to ask some questions.  I really enjoyed asking him questions, you can learn a lot from him about the history and development of HR.  The last section in McMinn's book (Modern Hip Resurfacing) was written by Pritchett.  It sort of concludes that HR will be around for a long time. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Baby Barista

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:03 AM »
Some people are put off by his quiet demeanor and short bedside manner. But as I was wheeled into the OR this morning and saw him studying my X-rays on his computer, I could not have been more confident in my decision.

Some leaders are vocal and speak for their work, others are quiet and let their work speak for them. That is Dr. Jim Pritchett. He's extremely frank and doesn't sugar coat. I appreciate that. When he came out to talk to my wife when I was in post-op, she too was impressed by his candor. He said everything went as planned, my arthritis was more more advanced than it appeared on film and that time will tell the surgery's success. He believes if I hit the 4 month, 1 year and 4 year benchmarks... I could retain my BHR for life. No flowery words, no promises... just facts.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 01:13:55 AM »
Excellent  report!  Welcome to the Dr. P Hippy Club!

Best wishes as you recover.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Luanna

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
I'm with you Barista. Just tell me the truth and don't waste my time. Some people prefer a more indirect approach but I'd rather have the info straight up with a twist of lime.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
Good news Barista.

Yeah, no sugercoating for me either, not even a lime, maybe some salt in the wound just so I won't forget the experience.

JEMacpherson

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
I guess I should put some stuff on this site.  I had a right hip done by Dr. Pritchett July 2011 and I'm very happy with the results.  I was 57 years old at the time and active.  My main problem after the surgery was a very tight and painful iliotibial band (sp?) but it finally stretched out fine and I've had no problems with it since.  I returned to running and did the 5K Turkey Trot on Bainbridge Island in November 2011, just four months after the surgery.  It is now March 2012 and I now run about 3 times a week for 35 to 40 minutes each time - I completely changed my running style to minimize the impact by running exclusively on my toes and mid-foot (no heel striking at all) with a shorter stride (tiny steps on my toes going down steep hills), but I still have a pretty decent gate and speed and I very happy with my progress.  I'm using my old shoes but plan to go to the newer minimal impact style like New Balance Minimus or 5 Fingers something like that - the "barefoot" theory makes a lot of sense to me and seems to be working.

As for Dr. Pritchett, I did a lot of research ahead of time and know he is perhaps the most knowledgeable resurfacing doctor around.  His bedside manner isn't great in that he can seem abrupt and distant and disinterested, but he will respond if you are up front and direct with him, particularly on technical issues.  I strongly suggest that you read his many technical articles on resurfacing, particularly on the metal-on-metal issue.  I realize there is a relatively small likelihood that I will have problems with metal in the future but decided that the rewards of resurfacing are well worth that small risk, and I have no regrets at all about doing it - best thing I ever did.  My older brother had both his hips fully replaced and he is very jealous.
Dr. Pritchett - Seattle
Right hip resurfaced on July 11, 2011
Born in 1953

hernanu

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2012, 10:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the post, JE - your experience with this is good for fresh hippies or prospective hippies to see. The more realistic happy folks we see here, the better.

Thanks for the running tip too - I'm not a runner, but probably need the tip more since the running I do is on the treadmill or for small distances and I'm not clued into what would work best for us.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2012, 11:04:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience JE. I had surgery in August 2011 and had a similar experience with Dr. Pritchett. My new hip at 7 months is doing very well.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »
Thanks for posting JE, I did the same with the research and Pritchett has so much experience and he was relatively close, and my insurance worked.  I'll put you on the list for NW hippy gathering, if I ever get around to making something happen. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat