+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Annual Meeting of the American Academy of orthopedic Surgeons  (Read 1448 times)

Boomer

Annual Meeting of the American Academy of orthopedic Surgeons
« on: October 25, 2011, 03:07:01 AM »
The annual meeting of the AAOS takes place in San Francisco in February. You can view the agenda on AAOS.org. Fascinating to see so many of the topics discussed on the surface hippy website also on the agenda. The Metal on Metal issue is very high profile. Some of the very best resurfacing surgeons are presenting and taking place in actual debates.

Patient care and resurfacing will continue to improve because the best and the brightest do not agree. All things are being challenged.

I was pleased to see so many resurfacing heavyweights presenting at this show. We are well represented!

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Jeremy76761

Re: Annual Meeting of the American Academy of orthopedic Surgeons
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »

Hey Boomer,

Do you know where people can access information about this meeting before and afterwards?

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Jeremy,

If you spend some time at the AAOS website you can get almost anything you need. Look for meetings/education and it will get you to the various events of the AAOS. There is a link to the 2012 Annual Meerting in San Francisco. Dig deeper and you can find the agenda and a list of presentations, which includes the names of the doctors participating.

Its not an easy site to navigate, but if you have time and patience, you can acccess almost anything you want to know about what is happening with the AAOS.

You can also "Google" 2012  AAOS Meeting which will get you to the meeting link.

Boomer

Anniee

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
Thanks Boomer!  I will check that site out.  I have time now that I'm at home recuperating!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
Interesting news article from the recent AAOS Meeting. "Lessons from the Hip:Where Did Metal on Metal go Wrong?".

You access all the news from the recent meeting on the AAOS website.

This article was outstanding. AAOS is taking responsibility for some MOM devices getting to market without proper testing, and for surgeons installing the devices without proper training and experience. Stated that it would be hard for the 17,000 Ortho surgeons in the US to have the same success as reported by the 300 Ortho surgeons reporting the most recent excellent data in Australia. I'm my opinion, the article supports what most have been saying for some time. Choose a device like the Birmingham Hip that has a great track record, find an experienced surgeon with and equally successful track record, and about 96% of the time you will be happy. The article reiterated concerns with smaller females and obese patients.

The overall theme of the article was that the surgeons need to take responsibility for their patients. McMinn had a small say, but he made his point. The article was quite strong in encouraging surgeons who only do a few number of hips surgeries to get out of the hip business.

Dr. Kwon was quoted liberally in the article, as he should be considering his experience. His opinion is that the problems causing the need for revision result from a poor designed device or poor implementation. He did not bash metal on metal completely.

I thought the article was excellent. You may have a different read or different opinion.

Boomer

horse doc

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
there is a mountain of information there ;D

where is the article you are referring to?

I am chugging through the abstracts;  here is one of the sessions with info pertaining to what aaos calls HRA 

http://www.abstractsonline.com/Plan/ViewSession.aspx?mID=1668&sKey=61d6e48b-545c-4a87-9804-75100b898662&mKey=BA8AA154-A9B9-41F9-91A7-F4A4CB050945

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »
they need to have a session with people 1-3 5-10 years post op and hear from us.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
I think there ought to be subset of the AAOS just for hips.  Seems like there is so much info on a plethora of subjects just within HR itself.

Thanks Boomer, I'm glad to see that there is a lot of support from the appropriate organization on MoM HR. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Statcounter

View My Stats