+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Experiences with Dr. Snyder?  (Read 4968 times)

PistolPete

Experiences with Dr. Snyder?
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
I have surgery scheduled for Nov. 7th (less than 2 weeks) with Dr. Snyder.  One of my friends had his hip done with Dr. Snyder 3 years ago with great results.  He swears by him.  I got several referrals from other Orthopedics to go to him as well so I was quite confident going with him.  However, I just found this site and now I'm finding mixed reviews.  Like any procedure there are going to be issues along the line.  Unfortunately there is a major risk with anything.  I know he's done close to 1000 of these to date and I'm just curious if I should continue with this surgery with him.

I know some people have strong opinions one way or another but I'm looking for honest unbiased feedback regarding Dr. Snyder.  If you have personal experience with him please provide this here so I can decide if I need to postpone this surgery.  I felt very confident after meeting with him and esp. having a friend with great results years later.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

hernanu

Re: Experiences with Dr. Snyder?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:58:13 PM »
Hi Pete, I've had two HR procedures done with Dr. Snyder. I had my worst hip (left) done with him 8/24/10, and my right done 11/29/10. Both procedures went very well, with my hospital stay for both about 3 days, back to work after 5 weeks, Newton-Wellesley was a great hospital with its orthopedics wing both as comfortable as possible, the staff were I thought outstanding. I had both a physical therapist and an occupational therapist who were devoted to my recovery.

When released from the hospital, the staff arranged for inpatient and outpatient therapy; I chose from a number of possible places, which worked out great for me. The home care nurse and PT were outstanding (Visiting nurses assoc.) and the outpatient PT as well (BayState Physical Therapy).

I had very successful surgeries both times, dealt with Dr. Snyder before and after well and with no bad results or bad experiences either medically or administratively. I felt well enough about my experience that I recommended him to my brother in law, who amazingly was worse off than I was. He had a Corin minihip put in (not resurfacing) and is now recuperating well, without problems and is back to working as a trial lawyer.

I felt comfortable enough with Dr. Snyder to go back to him for my second hip, and he delivered. That is my personal story, my own success story with both him and Newton-Wellesley.

I know there are some folks here who have posted negatively about Dr. Snyder; some are patients who had a bad outcome. I think there's also someone who had nerve damage from surgery. I also saw one of the owners of a hippy website that holds him in low regard. My only question here is whether his good and bad outcomes are in the norm for the HR surgeons out there; I knew that this surgery carries risk, but felt that I had no alternative (THR was too restrictive for me).

I think you need to take these views into account, but as far as my experience within the last year or so, all I can tell you is that I am in excellent shape, my hips are without pain and as far as I know will remain so as I expand my activities. If you have questions, go in to talk to him and ask whatever questions you want - I found his office to be very communicative.

Hope this helps, since I had such a positive outcomes, my opinion of him is very positive.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:59:14 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
I'm glad to read this as my friend had the same experience as you did.  He said he will need to have his other hip done within the next several years and won't hesitate to go back to Dr. Snyder.  I also have to wonder being from the Boston area if the patients that had problems are simply much more vocal about this than with other doctors since after all we are from New England and tend to speak our minds.  I'm thinking of calling his office tomorrow to see if I can speak with him over the phone at some point before my surgery to answer these questions.

Thanks,
Pete

manypaths

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
Hi Pistol Pete,
I'm new to this site and still feel as if I'm wondering down corridors trying to find the right door.
Did you have your surgery done by Dr. Snyder? How is your recovery going?

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »
Yes, I had my surgery with Dr. Snyder and everything went great.  I had an issue in the hospital post op the day of the surgery and the Newton Wellesely team was AWESOME!!!!  So far I would recommend Dr. Snyder to anyone planning on HR surgery.  I will have to do my other hip in a few years and won't hesitate to go back to Dr. Snyder.

anonymous

Re: Dr. Snyder and the Mini Hip
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:46:59 AM »
I've seen three surgeons so far. The last was Dr. Snyder. In Boston, he's apparently the surgeon with the most resurfacing experience. He told me he's done over 1,000. However, when he saw me he told me that he does not recommend resurfacing anymore (for all of the publicized reasons) and that he wouldn't do a resurfacing on me because he would have to shave off too much of my femur head. Another surgeon told me that he doesn't recommend resurfacing anymore (for the same reasons), but that if I wanted it he would do one on me.

Then Dr. Snyder switched quickly to the Mini-Hip and told me that it would be the best alternative for me. That threw me off because no one so far had mentioned this option, nor had I read anything about it. Apparently it's been around since 2009. He said that I'd have no problem returning to any kind of sports activity (I play soccer, should say I played, because it's been months now that I really can't play, despite the Advil). He's done the Mini-Hip on people who return to high level sports after the operation.

Hard to tell what's going on here. Is this a surgeon preference, or is he really being honest about the resurfacing?

He further told me to look at the National Joint Registry report (which I'm sure anyone who's had hip surgery knows about) and found that what he said about resurfacing losing favor is true. Even in England where the procedure was invented, the number of resurfacings has slowed to a trickle (due to the issues associated with its long term prospects, it says). For that matter all procedures involving metal-on-metal have lost favor, big time.

Now what to do? Can anyone shed some light on the Mini-Hip? Is it something to consider or should I continue my search for a surgeon who will do a resurfacing? I guess that after reading the NJR report, I started thinking that even if the metal-on-metal risk is relatively low (if the resurfacing is done by an experienced surgeon and the BHR is used), why take that risk at all if there is an alternative that is just as good?

I would appreciate anyone's insights.       

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:04:12 AM »
Go see a better surgeon!! Yes resurfacing has slowed thanks to poor devices (the asr and the durom) the media really seem to have given resurfacing a hard time but a proven device like the bhr with a top surgeon still has the best record of any hip device there is.

The mini hip is still a thr and will still have the same restrictions associated with it. Many surgeons see no point in the mini stem devices as they don't really offer many advantages apparently as any revision will still require a normal revision stem. I know some top surgeons like to use the corail stem as its track record is outstanding!

Like I say personally I would get my self to a proper resurfacing advocate and I'm sure they will sort you out.

Not sure what they are on about with shaving too much off your femoral head! If you watch some surgeries youll see what I mean.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:38:45 AM »
Danny  -  Great you are feeling well enough to give some advice.  As a bi-lat and long time member of this group you have read a lot of personal stories and registry information.

I agree with you that a perspective patient should try to use the surgeons that have done a thousand or more resurfacings.  The mini-hip is still a THR.

The top surgeons using the top devices like the BHR have great outcomes.  Many surgeons have chosen not to do hip resurfacing since it is a very difficult surgery. All the components must be placed correctly or there will be edge loading and possibly high metal ions.

The real information from the surgeons with experience is available here

http://www.surfacehippy.info/positive-results-hip-resurfacing-2012.php  These surgeons have done thousands with excellent outcomes.

There are quite a few surgeons in the NY area that have done a thousand or more.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#New_York

In my almost 10 years of running this website, I have read of thousands of great outcomes represented by many personal stories and surgeon series and national registry outcomes.

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/index.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Pst felling somewhat better thanks. I don't mean to offend anyone if my answers are kurt I am still in pain and on a lot of drugs!

I am a total resurfacing advocate and believe that the right patient with the right device and the right surgeon it's a winning formula.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

Re: Dr. Snyder and the Mini Hip
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
I've seen three surgeons so far. The last was Dr. Snyder. In Boston, he's apparently the surgeon with the most resurfacing experience. He told me he's done over 1,000. However, when he saw me he told me that he does not recommend resurfacing anymore (for all of the publicized reasons) and that he wouldn't do a resurfacing on me because he would have to shave off too much of my femur head. Another surgeon told me that he doesn't recommend resurfacing anymore (for the same reasons), but that if I wanted it he would do one on me.

Then Dr. Snyder switched quickly to the Mini-Hip and told me that it would be the best alternative for me. That threw me off because no one so far had mentioned this option, nor had I read anything about it. Apparently it's been around since 2009. He said that I'd have no problem returning to any kind of sports activity (I play soccer, should say I played, because it's been months now that I really can't play, despite the Advil). He's done the Mini-Hip on people who return to high level sports after the operation.

Hard to tell what's going on here. Is this a surgeon preference, or is he really being honest about the resurfacing?

He further told me to look at the National Joint Registry report (which I'm sure anyone who's had hip surgery knows about) and found that what he said about resurfacing losing favor is true. Even in England where the procedure was invented, the number of resurfacings has slowed to a trickle (due to the issues associated with its long term prospects, it says). For that matter all procedures involving metal-on-metal have lost favor, big time.

Now what to do? Can anyone shed some light on the Mini-Hip? Is it something to consider or should I continue my search for a surgeon who will do a resurfacing? I guess that after reading the NJR report, I started thinking that even if the metal-on-metal risk is relatively low (if the resurfacing is done by an experienced surgeon and the BHR is used), why take that risk at all if there is an alternative that is just as good?

I would appreciate anyone's insights.       

Hi, I'm s patient of Dr. Snyder's and also a great believer in HR. When I had my two resurfacings done by him in 2010, he was very positive about HR.

Since then, I've dealt with him periodically and he has not mentioned changing his thoughts about HR.

Not that it would matter to me, since I have had a great result. If he has changed his mind about it, then I would go to another surgeon. If you want to stay fairly local, there is Dr. Marchand in New England and Dr. Su in New York; both (especially Dr.Su) would be very good choices.

I went to see three surgeons in the Boston area before I settled on Snyder, I was searching for someone to do HR.

I have heard that Dr. Su has an arrangement to provide cut rate hotel for patients, so you won't have the expense of a Manhattan hotel. Also, in the last five years I have seen Dr. Snyder about three times, so this is not surgery that requires the doctor to be nearby.

Good luck - As much as I have had good results from Dr. Snyder, the HR was what was important to me. If it were me, I'd go to Dr. Su.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »
Not sure why Dr. Snyder seems to have changed his mind about HR. He seems to have done plenty of them. And I don't know why he's advocating the mini hip now. He did mention that the HR metal on metal is not ideal. 

I understand that the mini hip is still a THR, but Dr. Snyder pointed out that it's bone conserving with respect to the traditional THR. He said it makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip on Dr. Marchand. I'll go see him next.

The other surgeon I saw was Dr. Ready at the Brigham. He said he would do an HR on me but did not recommend it. He said he's done 300. I thought 300 wasn't enough experience.

I've read about Dr. Su, but will keep searching in Boston until I exhaust my options.

Does anyone know about other surgeons in Boston that do HR?   

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 02:39:09 AM »
I'm sure I've read an article by vijay boss where he talks about short stem thr's and explains there's not bone conserving in the long run as they will still require a normal revision stem so nothing is gained over something like a corail stem which has a stellar track record.

I don't understand the "metal on metal isn't ideal". There is about 50 years of CLINICAL experience and data with the alloy the bhr is made from. True metal allergies are very very rare I think Mr McMinn was quoted as having had something like 2 in 3000 genuine metal allergies.

Go see someone like Edwin Su and your almost gaurunteed a good outcome. The main problem with the bhr is that it's EXTREAMLY HARD to place correctly and therefore there are very few surgeons capable of doing the surgery consistently.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jon

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »
Hey folks. 

I don't visit the site, and add comments, as regularly as I used to owing to the fact that I'm so happy with my BHR resurf.  This specific topic is too important, however, to not chime in.

I am in the Boston area and did a lot of research pre-surgery, and have a few friends who have used the "top" local guys (including Snyder). My strong recommendation is to NOT have any surgery at Newton-Wellesley.  I have heard nice things about Ready, but I would go to NY (Su) long before I trusted anyone in New England.

PM me for more info, if you like.

All the best,
Jon

McMinn RBHR, December 2011

anonymous

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
Thanks for chiming in, Jon

Who else did you come across in the Boston area who does resurfacing (aside from Ready and Snyder)?

Jon

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »
I saw about a dozen orthopedists before going to Birmingham.  In New England, I met with Drs. Paul, Burke, Zarin, Hanmer (partner of Snyder) and Keggi.  I think only Hanmer and Keggi do resurfacings.

anonymous

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »
Thanks for the names, Jon.

I'd feel funny about seeing Hanmer (Snyder's partner), but I'll check out the rest.

Remind me, who did your BHR?

Jon

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 05:22:51 AM »
I had mine done by Derek McMinn in Birmingham.  He was so highly recommended I decided it was literally worth going the distance.

Everything I have heard indicates Su does great work.

My reference to Hanmer in the prior post was merely to communicate that I think he still does resurfs -- it was explicitly not a suggestion to go see him.

jschoef

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »
I met Dr. Su over 6 years ago and I decided to have my hip done in February by Dr. Marchand in RI and so far I am doing great and I had a "Superman recovery".   I am now fully recovered and have full strength on the bicycle and I am an aggressive rider.
BHR Left Hip, Dr. Marchand 2/15

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat