+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two-Days Post-Op with Right Hip Resurfacing w/ Dr. Gross  (Read 2278 times)

sdunn4

Two-Days Post-Op with Right Hip Resurfacing w/ Dr. Gross
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
I have been posting a few messages, asking many questions, and taking full advantage of this great patient-to-patient forum!  With this site as a guide, I feel I made the best possible decision- driving from upsate NY to Columbia, SC for the cementless- fixation / minimally- invasive technology expertise of Dr. Gross. 

The entire experience has been without a hitch, from qualifying for insurance coverage to the actual operation, ending with a smooth 2-night stay at Providence hospital.  The food was even good!  I was as nervous as you can get going into this operation, but everything went very smoothly with my resurfacing operation at noon on Monday 10/24/11.  Dr. Gross has set my cup angle at 32 degrees and he is planning on submitting a paper regarding the pros and cons of various cup angles.  I was discharged a few hours ago and my wife and I will relax for one more night at the Marriott Courtyard before beginning the 16- hour trek back up north.

Thanks to Pat for the hard work used to develop this site and for all of the wonderful advice and personalities I have been exposed to!

Steve
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:55:51 PM by Pat Walter »
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

Tin Soldier

Re: Two-Days Post-Op with Right Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
Good job.  Sounds like a long drive and I bet you'll be happy to get home.  Keep us posted on the recovery. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you!  I'm glad everything went so well (although, of course, that is exactly what I expected).  I could not agree with you more about Providence Hospital!  I remember saying something in one of my early posts after the first surgery about the food actually being good there, and I'm not sure anyone really believed me!

I hope your drive back up north is uneventful, and that you will keep us posted on your recovery!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Hi Steve

Congratulations on the new hip. I am glad things are going well.  Take it easy for now.  Stop and walk every hour on the trip back home.

Looking forward to the rest of your story as you recover.  Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
Steve, after checking out of Providence, we had a 7 hour drive back to Virginia.  Used the polar ice machine ALOT!  It seemed to help, and stopping every few hours to walk and stretch made it even easier.  Congrats and have a great recovery.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
Steve-

Great news!  You are well on your way now.  There will be several weeks of up and down recovery.  By about week 6 everything was relatively normal except for icing on occasion.

As everyone says, stop the car and walk around every 1 - 2 hours on the trip.  Believe me it will make a big difference when you get home.

Keep us posted on your recovery.

Dan

PS.  I measured my hip at 39 degrees.  I will be interested in what Dr. Gross has to say.
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Dayton96

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
Yeah, my angle was 32 degrees too.  It beats me why.  The angle seems to be working for me though.  I've had absolutely no pain issues from day one.  Have a safe drive back and do those stretching exercises and take those walks when you get home.

Mac 
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »
sdunn,

That's good to hear! I was wondering how you are doing. Upstate New York. That's a long drive too. My trip to Columbia was 12 hours from central Pennsylvania. I didn't ask Dr. Gross what my cup angles are because he just said that everything looked "perfect". I'll find out at my one year visit next Spring. I knew you would be impressed with everything at Providence. Beautiful hospital. Have a safe ride home. Stop as many times as you need to and get out and walk and stretch.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Congrats, Steve! Like Dan mentions, there'll be ups and downs on the recovery, but you'll be feeling much better in due time. Keep us posted.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ctb

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
Congratulations Steve!  I can't wait to join the club myself!

Catherine
Dr. Gross, LH Uncemented Biomet,  3/21/12

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 12:56:53 AM »
"WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE SDUNN4"   

Congrats. The hard part is over 8)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster