+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Marchand in RI  (Read 5553 times)

moe

Dr. Marchand in RI
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »
Well after a bit more exploring I found the bi-lateral info I needed.  After 9 mos of visiting Surface Hippy you would think I would have read it all twice over. lol
If any patients of Dr Marchand ,of South County Ortho Wakefield RI, could share their story I would greatly appreciate it as I will be getting 2 new BHR's in Oct if all goes as planned.  Pat and hippies thanks so much for sharing your stories.

Steve, I'm 57 years old and had bi-lateral BHR just over a year ago by Dr Marchand and the team at South County Orthopedics and So Co Hospital. You have made a very wise choice. My experience was excellent, everything went extremely smooth. The hospital room was like a suite, the entire staff was extremely caring. I just got back from a camping trip where I was hiking, biking and kayaking, 2 years ago on the very same trip I thought I would need to be rescued off a trail because the pain was so bad. Now I haven't felt this good in years. My job can be physically challenging and I have had no issues. I had all the classic symptoms of OA, now I have absolutely no complications, zero problems. If you want to talk more let me know, Nancy at So Co may have given you my name and number.  moe c
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:49:56 PM by Pat Walter »
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

stevejco

Re: Re: Choosing a Hip Resurfacing Doctor
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 10:39:56 PM »
Moe, I think it's great that you've done so well after your surgery.  Nancy said she would be sending me a list of a couple of Dr Marchand's patients perhaps you'll be on that list.  I would love to hear how your rehab went as I've heard how difficult it can be after bilateral BHR's. I really have a good feeling about Dr. Marchand and having confidence in my surgeon and his staff will allow me to focus on what I need to do to get well.  Thanks so much for responing to my post Moe.  Steve

moe

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »
Steve, I won't sugarcoat it, the rehab and recovery is tough. You will need lot's of help just to do the simple things for a while. You will literally not have a good leg to stand on. Just by your research here I'm sure you have a good idea what to expect. I would line up a rehab facility ahead of time and ensure they know what BHR is. My primary PT didn't know anything about it, so I didn't have a lot of confidence in that person. I was happy to get out of there without getting hurt. A few people here have gotten injured by too aggresive PT. I would check out the McMinn Centre website, they have lots of good info there and video of simple rehab movements. Be conservative and think long term. I would also try to be as active as possible before surgery to keep your muscles strong, this will help your recovery. I realise this can be difficult with the pain you have, just do what you can without beating yourself up.

Dr Marchand and the staff really have confidence and that passes onto the patient. You're in good hands. moe

stevejco

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
Moe, I have suffered my whole adult life with pain and have had five surgeries related to crohn's disease so I'm no stranger to the whole surgical and hospital routine.  I also suffer from joint disease and have a fairly limited range of motion in most joints.  I expect my recovery to be hell but the ex-marine in me wont give up on any fight. I have tried to be active through the pain and have managed to coach all three of my childrens baseball, softball and soccer teams for the past 9 years. I just can't keep up anymore and refuse to let my disability define me as a person.  I want to be the dad noboby can keep up with instead of the dad everyone waits for again.

I've had to postpone my surgery until Dec because my employer wont give me the time off until then(nice when the US gov sets the standard for empathy towards its employees lol). I've given some thought to the rehab issue and have prepared a list of facilities in my area to visit pre-op.  I am paticularly interested in those that offer aqua therapy, though I'm sure half of them won't make the cut due to lack of experience with hip resurfacings.

I've also looked into zero gravity recliners(I do have a couple of regular recliners) and ice machines but wonder if the expense is justified due to the short time I'll actually need them. I will be getting a shower bar and raised toilet seat.

I'm very stubborn when I set my mind to it. My high threshold for pain has allowed me to get along these last 15 yrs with these hips but I'm a bit concerned with how the heck I'm going to deal with the bi-lateral pain post-op without having that one good leg to stand on or that one good side to sleep on.  I hate popping pills.  I'll have to remind myself that I'm not going through this alone.  I'm very fortunate to have three great kids and a wonderful wife (who is a wound certified RN).  The support I've received from my new Hippy friends means a great deal to me. Thanks very much Moe
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:30:51 PM by stevejco »

moe

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »
Steve, sorry to hear of all your health problems and now an additional wait for surgery. You've had a tough road.

I did not get an ice machine, just used ice packs and that was fine. I did get a recliner, I did not have one. I bought a LaFuma online, I slept in that for about 2 weeks, really helped out. I still use it a lot now. But you already have a few so you are probably all set.

Let me know if I can help, moe

jgenese

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:50:34 AM »
 I am a 45 yr old male in need of hip resurfacing. I had a hip athroscopy 10 yrs ago and the surgeon who did it recommends a resurfacing but he doesn't perform the procedure. I live in Rhode Island and have an appointment with Dr. Marchand at South County Orthopedics on Sept. 15. He has 510 resurfacings under his belt but I'm wondering if there is anybody in the area who they recommend. I"m a little nervous about the procedure and recovery.

Lopsided

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:22:41 AM »
I"m a little nervous about the procedure and recovery.

Don't be nervous about the operation. If you feel you are ready for it, then jump in.

And the recovery, you should savour and enjoy.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:23:12 AM by lopsided »

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

moe

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:20 AM »
I am a 45 yr old male in need of hip resurfacing. I had a hip athroscopy 10 yrs ago and the surgeon who did it recommends a resurfacing but he doesn't perform the procedure. I live in Rhode Island and have an appointment with Dr. Marchand at South County Orthopedics on Sept. 15. He has 510 resurfacings under his belt but I'm wondering if there is anybody in the area who they recommend. I"m a little nervous about the procedure and recovery.
[

/quote]

I recommend Dr Marchand. See the above replies, moe

stevejco

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »

I met with Dr Marchand last month and have an appointment for bi-later BHR's Dec 7.  He's comes highly recommened, is trained by one of the best( Dr Su ) and I believe he is the most experienced surgeon in the RI area.  I think once you meet Dr Marchand and his staff you'll feel very confident that you've made a good choice in surgeons.  I was told rehab would take 8-12 weeks but you'll find that no two hip stories are the same. I was very nervous prior to choosing my dr and booking my surgery.  I think now I feel somewhat relieved that I can see a pain free life in the not so distant future. I wish you the best and who knows we might bump into one another at South County. lol  Steve
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:29:54 PM by stevejco »

moe

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
Thanks Moe...After reading about your experiences, this is the first time I've felt positive about going through the procedure. I'm looking forward to my consult with Dr. Marchand next month and looking forward to some relief. I work on submarines and lately it's been a struggle just leaving work and walking to to my vehicle. Any insight how long I can plan to be out of work?

Submarines! EB. I was there over 30 years ago, Q Point, I still remember my badge number, 70069. If you're having trouble walking to your car, it's time, it doesn't get better. I was out of work 12 weeks with 2 hips, you could probably go back sooner, but I wouldn't recommend it unless absolutely necessary. Use the TDI, you paid for it. You want to use all that time to get your strength and stability back. Once you go back to work you won't have as much time or energy to do it. You want to be safe and that hip to last a very long time. Good luck, moe

jgenese

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 03:41:38 AM »
  Moe and Steve
 Yes, I think It's time. Once again, thanks for the posts. I'll check in after my consult with Dr. Marchand.

moe

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 11:16:27 AM »
I forgot to mention that South County Hospital Orthopedics has received the Blue Distinction Award from Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI for it's high level of care and success for hip and knee replacements. Only the best facilities receive this. The info is on their website. moe

jgenese

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 04:36:09 AM »
Well, I had my consult with Dr. Marchand yesterday and scheduled surgery for Oct.22. Very comfortable experience with the doc and staff. Sounds stupid but almost shed a tear knowing relief is right around the corner. Wy suffer...life is too short to live with pain if you don't have to. Thanks to all for the posts!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat