+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Will I be able to Snowmobile again?t  (Read 2851 times)

PistolPete

Will I be able to Snowmobile again?t
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »
Well, I'm a week and a half out from my surgery and I'm an avid snowmobiler.  I'm looking forward to getting back on the trails again but wasn't sure if the up and down motions and bouncing would put too much stress on my new hip.  I'm not going to be riding this winter so no worries there.  I actually just sold my sled to make sure I don't take it out.  haha  But seriously, will I be able to get back on the sled next winter after everything is completely healed up?

Tin Soldier

Re: Will I be able to Snowmobile again?t
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:26:05 PM »
I don't see why not.  I haven't sat on a motorcycle, a horse, or a low-seat old school tractor (8N) since I had both hips done.  Those were the three items that put me in the worst, most painful position early on with OA.  If only I'd known that most humans are able to sit on those things without being in pain.  When I needed people to help me get off the motorcycle or horse, I should have known.  I suspect the snowmobile is very similar.  Some of the low stuff on the side, like those dudes on the x-games going around turns 8), might be a bit much for the ROM in the first few months, but I think you should be able to get that all back with stretching and good excercise within a year or so. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 12:29:26 AM »
Yes. You will be better, stronger, faster than before

I ride dirtbikes and do an occasional old timer mx race. (Over 50 class) I was back riding at a year and started back on tracks around a year and a half. Once you're healed and back in shape muscle wise I don't think you'll have too many limitations.  8)

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:02:48 AM »
A year after my surgery I purchased 3 jet skis and have been riding them in rough water ever since, I jump them, submarine them and I've never had an issue whatsoever.  In fact getting on and off them would have been totally impossible pre-op.

I've often thought that snowmobiling would be the perfect transition from liquid to frozen water fun.    I think the wife might leave me if I get another toy though, 3 jet skis, 1 ski boat and a fishing boat and I am still looking for fun.

Chuck

Well, I'm a week and a half out from my surgery and I'm an avid snowmobiler.  I'm looking forward to getting back on the trails again but wasn't sure if the up and down motions and bouncing would put too much stress on my new hip.  I'm not going to be riding this winter so no worries there.  I actually just sold my sled to make sure I don't take it out.  haha  But seriously, will I be able to get back on the sled next winter after everything is completely healed up?
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »
It's funny because some of my snowmobile buddies are pissed that I'm having this surgery and esp. that I sold my sled.  There is no way I could ride this winter and figured that buying a new sled next year will be the motivation I need to get back on the trails.

Chuck, sell the fishing boat and buy a sled.  Way more fun.  haha

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 10:11:30 AM »
I may have to sell a boat snowmobiling looks like fun.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Luann

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »
Hey Pete!

What does your Dr. say? If you have read any of my posts, I ride horses with a lot of jarring, jumping (mostly logs on trails) and running and stopping/turning hard. I have not problems with any of these. I'm thinking you should be fine. I must say for me, though, it took about 9 months to really start feeling "normal" again. Good Luck!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

John C

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 05:17:15 PM »
Snowmobiling should be no problem. I went out for my first time at about 8 months after surgery, and had no problems at all. I was riding with my son who is a dirt bike racer, so we were riding pretty hard and fast, though no huge airs.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
Lu - I was going to mention your horse riding success's.  I think the horse is probably the absolute most extreme hip ROM many of us would ever experience.  That is until I join Cirque du Soleil.  ;) The old school tractor I was talking about was designed for the Depression era farmer, who was probabaly about my size 5'7" or shorter, but with good hips.  The transmission box is only about 12" wide but to get my feet around it and squat into a low seat, youzers.  Like I said, if I sat on a horse I think I'd be stuck there.  However, with all this talk of snowmobiling, and horseback riding, and jet skiing, and with my new hips, I may have to take up a new hobby, something other than mowing the pasture. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
I did almost 30 miles last year around key west last January on a jet ski and the ocean was very rough that day, my hip was fine.  Most of the time we were in the air while we were out on the ocean.

I think flying down a frozen black diamond hill is very stressful on a hip for sure, that alone tells me that hip resurfacing works

One of the only things that I may not go back to is karate, the thought of taking a side kick to the hip from a 200 pound guy worries me.

In the end if you get good bone ingrowth you pretty much are able to do most active sports, of course you need to talk to your doctor.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

BrianROC

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:28:55 PM »
I had bi-laterial resurfacing in December.  I was sitting on my motorcycle four months later.    If things go well I would think you could be back on a sled towards the end of the winter. 

Good luck with your surgery. 

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
Brian,

That's positive thinking for sure...

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts