+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Follow-ups after overseas surgery.  (Read 1379 times)

IslandCatt

Follow-ups after overseas surgery.
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
I don't carry health insurance and I am considering traveling overseas (either India or Belgium) to have a HR done. I'm wondering what happens in terms of follow-ups or complications once a patient returns home after surgery.

Any input from those who have done this would be much appreciated.
Anterior LBHR, Dr. Sanders, 9/12/12

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Follow-ups after overseas surgery.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:19 AM »
Most people that go overseas will send the surgeon a copy of the x-rays once a year for a period of time.  When your hip resurfacing is done properly, there is usually little follow-up required.  I went to Belgium and stayed 9 days before I flew home.  I sent Dr. De Smet a copy of my x-rays at one year post op.  I know a lot of people that went East and West and few had any problems.  The few that did have problems either had a revision back overseas or at home.  There were a couple people with allergies to the BHR metal composition.  Not high metal ions for edge wear, but a deep allergy to the metal. 

If I needed a revision or had a problem, I would propbably go to someone in the US now that I have insurance.  I did not have insurance back in 2006.

Normally, the top surgoens in the world are across the pond and have wonderful track records of their surgeries.  That is why so many of us traveled in the old days.  Still an option if you don't have insurance.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »
Even Dr. Gross in SC does long distance followups, usually ion tests, x-rays and sometimes a worksheet that you fill out.

Not really a big deal and for some reason you would need a THR, those doctors are a dime a dozen here in the US.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »
You'll find many more docs that can do a reasonable job on a THR as opposed to a doctor doing a hip resurfacing.  THRs have been around a long time, many many docs do them.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
Carla,

The most important part of the followup is the x-ray, in this digital age that's easy.

Now Dr. Gross wanted my ROM checked, I simply went to a local PT and they gave him all my numbers that he requested.

It's all pretty easy, and if you are lucky enough to go to Bose or DeSmet it's almost a gurantee that you will be ok, they are really amazing doctors.

BTW, these are good questions and I am glad you asked them.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat