+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: i think i have an ear infection 1 week from surgery. what to do?  (Read 2687 times)

PistolPete

I think I have an ear infection as my ear is killing me and is all clogged.  Today is Sunday so no doctor and we suffered a major snowstorm over night so a trip to the er isn't an option.  What should I do?

obxpelican

Re: i think i have an ear infection 1 week from surgery. what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »
I would seek out a doctor as soon as you can for the infection, then I would call your hip doctor tomorrow. 

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »
Call you doctor tomorrow, visit your family doctor tomorrow.

If you look on the internet there are many things to wash your ear with.  A mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, and sometimes just some olive oil will help.  Look on the internet for the amount of hydrogen peroxide and water to use.  You don't want to just put a bunch of hydrogen peroxide in your ear with out rinsing with water.  That is what is in the drops to clean your ear wax out.  Maybe a hot water bottle.  Get on the internet.  Take some advil, asprin or tylenol for pain. 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

PistolPete

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »
I do get a ton of ear wax buildup and have one of those blue syringe balls to clean out my ear.  I just did it and a ton of crap came out.  It still hurts but not quite as bad.  I will try it again in a little while.

John C

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »
Those of us that surf a lot can have problems with ear infections, sometimes referred to as "swimmer's ear". The standard home remedy suggested by the ear docs here in Hawaii is a 50/50 mix of alcohol and vinegar, and that usually does the trick in a few days. Warning, if the ear is really raw, the alcohol is not fun. If the infection gets serious, eight to ten days of oral antibiotics is sometimes the only way to knock it out.
Definitely contact your surgeon's office ASAP. If I were looking at possible surgery in a week, I would consider getting out in the snow to find my way to an ER today.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »
Ok, so this is probably why I'm not a surgeon, they're gonna pump you full of antibiotics when you go in for surgery, so why worry about it?  I know, I know, but you have to wonder.  I agree with others, talk to your docs and don't listen to me.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

futbalfan

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
Hey I think that there are no concerns at all.  I have had ear infections since I was a baby and for the past 30 years I have lived with an ear infection every day.  It is a long story but in short I went through the surgery and everything was fine.   Good luck

PistolPete

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
So, I do have an ear infection.  Called my dr. And they are going to call me back.  I think it is going to be rescheduled.  I really don't want to take any chances.

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Good, pistol - I know it's frustrating, but you want everything to go straight, so you can get to recovery without any other issues.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
Well, the office just called and if I reschedule I can't get in until jan.  They are going to have someone else call to get more info.  Ugg the surgery may still be on.  Can't deal with this stress.

PistolPete

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
I got a call back from the office and they were not sure if I will be able to have the surgery next week or not.  They are going to check with the surgeon tomorrow and let me know.  I don't know if im even going to do it if he says it is ok.  I think I need to be completely healthy presurgery so im not sure what to do.  The woman I spoke to said they can prob. Squeeze me in befor Jan which would be optimal.  Would you reschedule the surgery regardless of what the surgeon says?

Anniee

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »
Pete, I think if it was me, I would trust my surgeon and go with what he says.  I cannot imagine any responsible surgeon going ahead with the surgery if he thinks the ear infection could cause problems.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

lori.36

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
I got a sinus infection 2 weeks pre-op.  It was gone by the time my surgery approached.  I was worried, but it all worked out.  Are you traveling for your surgery?
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

PistolPete

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »
Well, I spoke with my surgeon and because I'm not running a fever or anything and because it is such a small infection and that I will be on antibiotics for 7 days that there is nothing to worry about.  He said if things get worse to call him but so long as I'm fine there is nothing to worry about.  So, I guess in 6 days I'm getting my new hip.

obxpelican

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »
That is GREAT news!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good luck to you.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
That's great news Pete. I remember when Lori had that infection and was worried about it impacting the procedure, and it was fine. You'll be good and done soon.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
Good news, Pete. Reading your posts was like reading a suspense story! With a happy ending!  ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear