+-

Author Topic: Back pain before surgery  (Read 2344 times)

rbt2011

Back pain before surgery
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
Hello everyone!

i am scheduled to have a BHR installed at the end of this month.  I am looking forward to it in some respects but I am still pretty scared.  I don't worry about the actual pain or the rehab, my biggest worry is that it won't work.  I am 37.

Also, my back and pelvis hurt bad all the time.  I can't bend over at all anymore without putting my hands on my legs to brace myself.  The pain seems to be coming from the opposite side as the hip i am having done.  I have read a few things on pain being referred to other areas of the body. 

My question is this.  Has anyone experienced back pain then went away after the surgery? 
Thanks
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

jjmclain

Re: Back pain before surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »
I had back, neck, thigh, shin, and foot pain and numbness that went away after surgery.

JMS

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
Many of us had back pain before surgery as a result of trying to protect the bad hip.  It will go away after surgery if you are good  about your physiotherapy and do the work necessary to build the weaker leg up again. 

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
Yes, I had back pain.  I think that my back pain was gone about seven weeks after surgery.  My posture is better and I no longer limp.  Totally worth it!

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
Back, hip, knee, ankle and achilles all about 80% resolved at 5 weeks.  Amazing what your body will do to stay away from the real source of pain!  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

John C

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
Referred pain can be very difficult to predict. 25 years ago, I had a lot of pain around one hip, and spent 9 months with everyone telling me that the pain was coming from the hip. Eventually I had back surgery that made the hip pain go away immediately. Before my hip resurfacing surgery three years ago, I had severe back pain, that went away right after the hip surgery.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
Hay rob,
            I've got no back pain but I do have knee pain on my opposite side I think it's cos of my limp. As my mate tells me who is a sports therapist referred pain is very normal and its what often makes diagnosis very difficult.
Hope your ok bud.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

AlanN

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
I had back, neck, thigh, shin, and foot pain and numbness that went away after surgery.

All of the above for me too!
Alan
Motor Racing nut now with LHBHR ;)

Aerial

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »
As my hip has gotten worse and worse I have began to have back pain issues.  I have never in my life had back pain to this point.  I'm pretty sure it is due my limp.  I hope it resolves with surgery.  Good luck to you to and keep us posted on how your back feels post surgery.  Interestingly, my back pain is same side as my bad hip.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
I have started to experience exactly the same thing with my back. Never been treated for back issues before, so it has to be related to the bad hip. Be nice to get this taken care of before it gets any worse.

First surgeon who told me about hip resurfacing said that there was no reason to wait for it to get worse. Said arthritic hips are like pot holes. The sooner you deal with them the easier it is. The longer you wait, the more complicated it becomes to resolve the associated issues. 
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Luanna

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
I also had back pain prior to surgery. My SI joint would lock up on the same side as my bad hip. Very painful. I thought that it was coming from my back. X-rays were taken of both my back and hip. The othro doc at the time said that she felt strongly that the problem was with my hip. The back pain was far more painful than the hip most of the time.

I'm hoping that the SI joint and lower back pain will not return. So, far at 10 weeks no sign of it...but I'm very careful because I'm afraid it will come back.

Fingers crossed.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 02:37:38 PM »
I think you'll be fine, Luanna - I had back and shoulder pain for a while before the procedures and now it is really a distant memory.  I'd uncross those fingers, your hands will cramp  ;D.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
I had more back pain beforehand.  It was related to not bending over when picking up stuff from ground level.  I don't know why, but I find myself doing lots of heavy labor for fun (and for work sometimes).  I couldn't squat to pick heavy items up, still can't very well, but it's much better than before. 

Last week I stepped out of my boring cube and did some real work.  I spent about 4 long days in the field lifting 50 lb bags of bentonite clay, hogged pumps out of wells, wheeled gravel all over the place, used a 60 lb jack-hammer,... My back and my hips held up.  I was worried a little about stepping in a hole while carrying something heavy, but I was very cautious about that.

Funny story - I went to the hardware store to buy some concrete and I asked for the 60 lb bags and the clerk, who was about 55 said, "we only carry 80 lb bags, the manly kind" he emphasizes.  I laughed and made a snarky comment, "you know there is a thing called OSHA" (government body for occupational safety, not sure what the Birtish counterpart would be).  He then returned with a similarly snarky comment "the attitude department is over there", pointing to the back of the store.  All I was getting at is that you can lift 80 lb bags of crete all day long, if you want to shorten the life of your joints.  One of the few times I was the wise, and younger one in the conversation.  We laughed and then proceeded to load the truck with 80 lb sacks'o'crete.  Geez, those were heavy.  When I got back to the job site, I let the younger guy unload the concrete, wise again, eh?
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
Tin, I am proud of you, wise man!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

rbt2011

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.  I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear a lot of other aches/pains go away after surgery.

What about hair loss?  Is that because of my bad hip too?  I am really hoping it starts growing in nice and thick after the surgery. 
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »

What about hair loss?  Is that because of my bad hip too?  I am really hoping it starts growing in nice and thick after the surgery. 

Only on my back! ;D  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats