+-

Author Topic: Still limping?!  (Read 3130 times)

alpsters

Still limping?!
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
I am 14 weeks post-op and wondering if anyone out has experience with pronounced limping.  I understand that since I waited a long time (over 10 years with osteo-arthritic hip) to get my hip resurfaced, my body learned to compensate for the pain and disability through pronounced limping. I endured years of people asking me why I limped and now that I still get the question I am beginning to wonder if my body will ever remember how NOT to! A physical therapist pointed out that I do not limp when I walk backwards so I do that a lot to try to re-train my brain. Has anyone out there had similar experience? Will it go away on it's own with time or do I need the services of a PT on a regular basis to work it out? I walk and am in the pool regularly and doing stretches on my own everyday. I a feeling pressure from others to hurry up and get rid of the limp before it becomes permanent.....ACK! Thanks for any input. :P
LHR Dr. Bose July 20, 2011

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Still limping?!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »
Work with family and friends to watch you walk, sometimes it becomes an ingrained habit to limp.  Force yourself not to limp, if by some chance it's a weak group of muscles work with your PT.

You could also go back to a cane and force yourself to walk properly.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »
If you can't concentrate on doing a proper step with the heel toe motion, I would suggest doing some PT so they can give you some exercises to get you walking properly.  It is difficult after you have limped so long.  You need to retrain your brain, body and all muscles in the leg and hip.  Sometimes outside help is the best.  Ask your doctor to give you a prescription for PT.  Tell him you are concerned and need help getting your proper gait back.  I don't believe it will just happen since you have limped so long.  If you hadn't limped prior to surgery, then it would propbably resolve itself like it does for most of us, but since you had problems for such a long time - I would get some professional help.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
      Sounds a little silly, but worth passing on to Phys Therapist...but while I was recovering after using a cane (week 2 or so), I found that I still "collapsed" into my operative hip a little when I walked.  It wasn't due to pain as much as that is what felt natural.  I noticed by accident that when I had something a little heavy in my opposite hand, that hip drop disappeared.  Maybe having a 5 pound weight or something triggers the brain to lean away from the operative hip just enough to "stop the drop".  At 5 weeks my limp only returns when I get pretty tired from walking on it over the whole day.  See what your PT says...I would be interested to see if I can win the Nobel for medicine!  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
Alpster-

My limp slowly disappeared since my surgery.  I notice a tendancy to limp a little if I get tired. 

Keep in mind that I was biking alot and hiking right up to surgery.  I have also worked out intensely and often after surgery.

I would work with a PT.  I would also concentrate on walking funny.  It sounds like you are limping because that is what your muscles and brain are familiar with.  So you need rewire your circuits.  So do long strides, short strides, skip, heel-toe, race walk, etc.

Best wishes

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

alpsters

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:20 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions, I really appreciate the input and ideas. I will get hold of a physical therapist to keep me going in the 'right' direction.  Just love this forum!

othepain4

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:07:59 AM »
I walked fine at home when I concentrated but once I went back to work the limp came back. You need to make a conscious effort to walk "normally". good luck with your recovery!

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats