+-

Author Topic: how nervous were you the first time standing post surgery?  (Read 2172 times)

PistolPete

how nervous were you the first time standing post surgery?
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »
I ask because this morning will be my first time walking and standing and im def. Nervous

hernanu

Re: how nervous were you the first time standing post surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
I was nervous. The moment you're up, though it feels great to take those steps and feel the OA pain gone. The nervousness goes away as you walk more and more.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sdunn4

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Pete- congratulations!  I am 15 days post op and share your feelings from about 2 weeks ago today!  I was quite nervous too!  I took it real easy and the nurses helped by having a chair on wheels in the hallway for me.  I did feel a little faint and had some sweats- they had me sit back down and gave me a cool towel to help.  I jsut want to tell you- it literally gets better every day- I am up to walking 2 to 2 1/2 miles now with a cane for light assistance.  I am no super star with fitness but have always kept up by doing something every day.  You will be amazed how fast you progress!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:06:43 PM »
I was nervous how I would do, but excited that with those first steps I was on my way back!  The lack of deep joint pain was thrilling.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
When does your leg stop feeling like a lead weight?

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
I think I was too loopy from the pain pills to be nervous!  I just got out of bed the morning after the surgery, when the occupational therapist came to kick me out of it to take a shower and walk the hall.  It was quite easy! 

When I had my right hip resurfaced, the leg never did feel like a lead weight.  The left one did, and that worried me, but it only lasted about two days. :)

You'll be fine!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
     Both legs had the anti-clotting things on them after surgery, puffing away all day and night.  Once they removed them the following day, my leg felt great.  My only surprise was how weak my operated leg was in trying to lift it.  The quad was so weak from the dislocation and surgery that I could not lift it off the bed without help.  That was unexpected and at first, a little worrisome.  It was fine, however in taking the weight and standing.  Made me verrrrrry happy to stand there without that accursed joint ache.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »
I wasn't nervous. It just was so difficult. I remember it like it was yesterday - the sweating, lack of strength, pain.  I think it was from all the medicine leaving my system, not from the actual surgery. After my first few steps thay sat me down. I did not move from the chair for three hours. Then I got up, all on my own and started walking around the halls.

I still don't know why it happened but I was good a few hours later.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

PistolPete

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »
Pt came in and was ready to get me up but we decided to start with some pain meds first so I will be up in about 20 minutes

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
Cool, Pete. Take it easy, only do as much as you feel is right. Just sitting up was a big deal to me.

This is going to sound weird, but I loved the leg massage machines; it was like having a masseuse at your calves the entire day. The PT folks there are really good, the occupational therapists are also excellent. You're in good hands.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
Everybody here has been awesome so that's a major plus.  They did get me up and about but only to walk to the hallway and back.  They sat me in a chair but I only sat there for a half hour cause I needed to take a nap.  I was up all night last night getting the CT scan etc done.  Funny that I too like the compression sock things.  I am scheduled to be released tomorrow so we shall see.

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:26 PM »
Well done Pistol Pete! I hope things contuinue to progress for you so that you can go home tomorrow, hopefully to a comfortable recliner.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »
Good job.  I was darn nervous the first time and then the second time, I felt like an old pro.  I was so surprised at how I could put weight on the leg with not much pain at all a few hours after surgery, is very inspiring and after getting the feel of it, I just wanted to roam the halls on my crutches the rest of the day.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »
The first time I felt like a porcupine in a room full of balloons, once you do a few steps and nothing falls off the nervousness will go away. Good luck tomorrow ! and...
"WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE PistolPete"  ;D

bigblue

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
I remember feeling like I could go to the top of a mountain with my crutches. The meds were some good stuff. LOL. After my body got to a little more normal I realized I was carrying around a tree trunk but coming from where I had been prior to the surgery it was a good feeling realizing there was no pain.

Recent Posts

Re: Travelling for Resurfacing during Covid-19 by Saddlepal3
Yesterday at 08:59:57 PM

Re: Pain on Rising by jimbone
Yesterday at 01:24:59 AM

Re: Travelling for Resurfacing during Covid-19 by BionicHip
Yesterday at 12:00:02 AM

My 8yr Bi-Lat Anniversary by Gino_Tortellini
December 03, 2020, 09:25:02 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear