+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knee Pain....one more time  (Read 1833 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Knee Pain....one more time
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance for asking the same question I have before.  However, now that I have more months experience and a more complete experience, I need to ask again.

My previous question was about knee pain that was associated from the hip.

I had been experiencing aching in my knee that seemed to be coincidental with my hip pain.  When my hip hurt, often my knee did.  It was a pain that started in my knee and went down my shin.

Now, when I overdo it, not only does my hip hurt, but my knee seems to be extremely painful.  Often, lately, my knee hurts worse than my hip.  It is a stabbing pain, and it is not related to movement or weight.  I can be sitting in a chair and my knee will stab with pain.  Today, for no particular reason, my hip felt good.....and.....my knee didn't hurt.

So, my question this time is more specific:  Has anyone had acute knee pain related to their hip problems, and has that knee pain been - for anyone - more acute than the hip itself?  I am trying to decide whether to go see the doctor about my knee (independent of the hip), but don't want to waste the $$$.  On the other hand, I'd hate to have the hip done and retain the knee pain if I can have Dr. Gross fix both (if it needs fixing).

Thanks everyone......
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Knee Pain....one more time
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
Yes, I had the exact same type of symptoms you are describing.  I also had many times that my knee hurt worse than my hip.  My physician ordered x-rays of both my knee and my hip because of the pain.  The knee looked perfect according to him.

Now that I am 15 weeks post op I have had no knee pain in weeks.  It was all due to the compensation I was making to avoid the pain in my hip.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
    Wish I could say that my knees were perfect...Not!  Both knees have been 'scoped for meniscus wear and have arthritis from use and abuse.  My hip was different though.  I could handle my knees, but as my hip wore down, it affected all kinds of stuff on my right side.  From "twisting" the painful part of my hip out of the way (subconconsiously all the way), I injured my achilles tendon, knee and shin.  The burning pain in my shin and knee were the worst and made it as hard for me to sit and sleep as my hip did.
    I still have the weak knees, but that's a pain I can deal with using minimal effort.  The rest of my leg pains went away, including the amplified pain around my knee on the operative side.  I would bet that your hip will solve your other symptoms too.
    As for your knee, you can get it xray'd or MRI'd to see its condition, or wait until after the hip job to see if it goes away.  Be interested to hear what Dr. Gross says.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

23109VC

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:41:37 AM »
I had knee pain that was definitely related to my hip.  I ha pain in my knee that would often coincide with my hip pain.  I had my knee xrayed and dr said it was fine.

I had my hip resurfaced 8 mo this ago and my knee feels great.  There is a good chance your knee pain is referred pain from your hip.  Fix the hip and the knee pain will vanish. Have An X-ray if you are worried something is going on with the knee.

Better safe than sorry.
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

maxx6789

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »
i had knee pain ... when I went to my first doctor, i said 3/4 the issue is pain in my knee and 1/4 the issue is pain in my hip. he did a brief exam testing my knee and hip ROM, etc and took xrays of both the knee and hip. knee xrays were fine, hip xrays had "severe OA and you need a hip replacement". i am just 8 weeks post hip BHR ... all my knee pain is 100% gone.

everyone's situation is different. i am sure many people have both hip and knee pain and a hip replacement does not resolve their knee pain when they in fact do have both a hip and knee issue. it seems the answer for you is ... yes, it seems worth it to have your knee checked out. from what i read, if you needed both a hip and knee operation, usually they suggest getting the hip done first and the knee done after.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

gibbcutter

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:25:45 AM »
Before  the surgery I was  experiencing significant  pain in the knee that supported the hip.  Post op, the pain slowly went away.  I think it was related to the iliotibal band.  Before the resurfacing, I was really concerned that I would  also need a knee replacement.  From what my surgeon said,  knee pain is not uncommon.

Good luck.

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
My knees hurt like hell, especially when I try to run. I think it is because I'm compensating for the one bad hip.  I had my left hip resurfaced in March so I am compensating all over the place. When my second surgery is done I will report in on the knee problem. Hopefully it will go away so I can run.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »
Hope so too, hip.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »
I probably said this before on your other post, but I had almost the exact same type of pains in both legs and I would get it for no apparent reason.  I think it was nerve pain caused by OA around the hip, IT band tightness, compensation,...?  not really sure, but it's all gone.    You might just want to wait on the knee pain until after HR.  It may go away. 

BTW - while walking on the treadmill the other day at the PTs office, I noticed a significant decrease in my "penguinism" in my feet.  That is without even thinking about it.  My feet point more forward than they have in years and I have the option of toeing in for fun, or being really goofy and walking like a penguin if I want, all with no pain.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »
Thank you all again.

I feel like a little kid.....so insecure with everything.  I suppose when you're faced with getting sliced open, you question everything.  It's been about 9 days since my hard workout, and the hip pain has died down.  And.....magically.....the knee ache is gone.

The thing - I think - that made me question all this is the conversation with the first ortho I saw (not my chosen surgeon).  I mentioned the knee pain that seemed to be associated with the hip, and he said it shouldn't be related.  He said the nerves that go to the knee are unrelated to those in the hip.  Something like that....but he definitely said that the two pains shouldn't be related.

I am grateful for this website (thank you Pat!!!), and for surgeons like Dr. Gross.

Thanks again everyone.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
    Your doctors is probably correct that its not the nerves causing the pain, but the angle of your leg, foot, knee etc. as you avoid your hip causes the "referred" pain elsewhere.  Up until the crash, when my hip became intolerable, my knee, achilles and shin hurt worse than my hip.  Now that its fixed, the other pains are disappearing.  Hopefully that continues.  A lot has to go right for us to function correctly.  Probably doesn't take much of a bum hip to upset it all.  Good luck with yours.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM