+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Did you have any restrictions Post Surgery?  (Read 2121 times)

PistolPete

Did you have any restrictions Post Surgery?
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
So, after my resurfacing I have zero restrictions on what I can do.  Obviously, I can't do much as ROM because of the surgery is laughable and I'm in quite a bit of pain.  However, my surgeon said there are no limitations with my recovery and I can bend at 90 degrees along with crossing my legs etc.  He said because I'm young (35) and in great shape (Martial Arts) I don't have any limitations.  He also thinks I can get back to training in 2.5 months.  I will prob. wait 4 months and just go easy to be sure.

hernanu

Re: Did you have any restrictions Post Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »
Ok - however, everyone's body is different and you want to take it easy. The first 3 - 6 months are key, even if you're in great shape.

There's nothing to say you can't go back to working out, but full blown martial arts training might take a bit. Patience is the key. There's several of us martial artists at different stages of life and recuperation, but some issues you want to watch:

• The first three months your bones are recovering from the surgery. The biggest risk during this time is neck fracture, which would require a revision. The reason I've heard is that there is blood loss to the area that needs to be replenished in a poorly vascularized(SP?) area.
  • The big muscles may be rarin to go, but your concern is the smaller supporting muscles. Those have been compromised by the surgery, and need to heal. In martial arts, especially kicking and pivoting, they need to be strong.
  • ROM. You know that many kicks require good ROM. You don't want to try some kick and wind up on your butt because you're tight. Not only is it a fall, but you make the rest of us martial artists look bad and lose street rep. Not good.
  • Stamina. You need to build it up, as you lose it during a workout, your bigger muscles will lean on your smaller ones, which are weaker from the procedure. It's how people wind up with secondary problems like bursitis and muscle pulls (illeoapsis muscle for example)
  • It took me a good three to four months to go through PT (in house, out house... I mean outpatient), and during that time, I devoted myself to those exercises as intensely as I did martial arts exercises.
  • Talk to the PT about your goals. I told her I wanted to get back to hands work first, then kicking, etc. She designed a workout regimen to work towards that, but I lightened up and didn't put a time limit to it.
  • Take it easy on the return. Gary2010, Chris Finn, Nemesis and several others are experienced martial artists who have done this, use their advice.
  • Stretching. This took the longest for me (about 6 months before seeing good progress), you may need less, but remember that when you do this you're putting stress on the joints. Patience on this is paramount.

I'm about to celebrate my year anniversary on my last hip (14 months on the other), I'm back to full bag training on the upper body, the stretching is going nicely now, but it took about 6 months before I saw real progress. Kicks are at waist level, can do roundhouse full power, side kicks at low altitude, front kicks waist level full power. Have not done them on the bag.

I'm 54, 38 years of martial arts, got my TKD black belt about 25 years ago. You're younger and will heal faster, but bones are not forgiving, so be aware and you can make a great recovery. I trust Dr. Snyder, but he is not a martial artist and may not be fully aware of the stresses we put on the body. I got back to weight lifting (moderate amounts) long before I could handle a full bag session.

Sorry if I got wordy, but I think it's important to take good care of yourself so your recovery goes great.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:10:50 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
Can't spell it out better than Hernan just did.

The big muscles have seemed to come back quickly.  The smaller muscles and the hip capsule are taking longer.  I still get pretty sore after certain workouts.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
Pete i as you have no normal restrictions but I really wouldn't return to impact at 2-3 months. Is it worth it? I read somewhere derrick mcminn has attibuted faiukre at 10-12 years due to a too early return to impact. Bmd only normalises at around 12 months but bone healing takes up to 2 years. Mr Treacy has told me 12 months and its going to be hard but I fully intend on taking a long steady recovery. I know you run a arts school but if you return to early you may risk a revision and let's face it if you had a revision at 10 years you'd still not be 50.
Please think carefully.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
Pistol - what about the first 6 weeks posterier restrictions?, presuming it was posterier.  I don't think age or flexibility has much to do with that.  I beleive our hip capsules heal at about the same rate, somewhat slow.  You wouldn't want to pop your femur out through your gluteus when bending over to tie your shoes.     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

PistolPete

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
When he said no restrictions he wasn't talking about Martial Arts training.  He said as far as sitting, standing, walking, load bearing etc.  He said I could get back to Martial Arts training in 2-3 months but I will wait at least 4 and go very easy at that point. I know that my bones need to fuse to the implant and I want to make sure that has happened before I start over stressing the joint.  Please don't think I would be careless and just start firing off kicks and training BJJ in a week or so. 

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
Good man I hope we all get back our former lives mate. Stay safe bro and keep me up to date as your like 3-4 days ahead of me so its cool hearing how your getting on!
All the best Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »
When he said no restrictions he wasn't talking about Martial Arts training.  He said as far as sitting, standing, walking, load bearing etc.  He said I could get back to Martial Arts training in 2-3 months but I will wait at least 4 and go very easy at that point. I know that my bones need to fuse to the implant and I want to make sure that has happened before I start over stressing the joint.  Please don't think I would be careless and just start firing off kicks and training BJJ in a week or so.

Whew!! I thought you were going to be doing spin kicks pivoting on the crutches  :o.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
HAHA some people have called me crazy before but never stupid.  HAHA

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
     Just got back from Columbia SC (7 hr drive each way in two days).  Dr. Gross said all looks awesome, 35-40 deg cup (as close as they can measure with the Xray anyway), and he gave me the following advice:

1.  Continue to avoid over-flexing the hip in any of the three directions used for dislocating the leg during surgery, i.e. knee past 120degree (he used 90degrees for 6 weeks), knee in/foot out movements (across the line), etc. 
     2. No heavy impact or jumping until 6 months

Now since I'm only 50 and have not degerated completely, have great bone denisity and superb will power, I asked him if I could follow my body's advice and when it "twinges" to stop doing that movement.  I fully expected him to say that's smart...he didn't.  He wanted to be very clear that it takes a healthy person up to a year for all the ligaments to recover, and especially the muscles and tendons that were cut to heal.  He also said that with these implants, the first indication that a dislocation is about to happen is when it happens.  It doesn't stretch and then go pop, it just pops.  I didn't expect that.
      Having said all that, I am a bet surprised that your surgeon would say you have no restrictions at all.  Seems prudent that you would want to avoid doing things that might put your new hip in jeopardy.  I too would want to stretch and get limber...it would feel like progress while I wait for the impact to come.  It simply makes sense to me, at least, to avoid the moves your doctor used to break you apart.   The walking and load bearing are fair game and I have used extensively to regain the strenght for the cut muscles.
     Good luck and be safe in your recovery...you too Danny.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »
Pete, I have the pillow between my legs to prevent crossing, 90 degree restriction , and no pidgin towing
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat