+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: did you have issues sleeping post surgery?  (Read 3243 times)

PistolPete

did you have issues sleeping post surgery?
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:54:26 AM »
I've been waking up between 2 and 4 am and can't get back to sleep.  Then hours later if I fall asleep I get night sweats to the poing my shirt is drenched all the way thru to my covers etc.  Anyone else have these problems and how lond did it last?

hernanu

Re: did you have issues sleeping post surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »
Yup. I think the meds need to get out of your system and overall the shock your body went through. I just stockpiled t-shirts and put a towel on my bed when sleeping. It went away for me at about 2-3 weeks completely, although it wasn't really bad after the first week and a half or so.

No problems after the third week, I just kept up the fluids and sweated. The sleep came. I even called the doctor's office, they didn't seem concerned about it. I think after I started winding down the Tylenol, it also helped to get rid of the sweats.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:33:35 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

OtterDriver

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
Hello PistolPete!

Three weeks out for me now...Right BHR 10/18.  No real sweating issues, but clockwork like urination.  Up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to take a leak.  Just now pretty much back to my normal sleep pattern.  Still not on my right side though.  Off the pain Rx within the 1st week.

Best wishes!  Bruce

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
I've seen a lot of posts about the night sweats and the frequent urination.  I pee'd a lot, but didn't have the sweats much.  Like Hern said, it all seems to be related to your body trying to get rid of the chemicals.  I suppose the sooner you get of the hard stuff, the sooner some of these issues may resolve?  I'm not sure.  I left the narcotics in the hospital both times, so at 2 days out, I was just using acetominophen (which also makes you sweat and urinate a lot ???).    Maybe it's more a matter of getting all that stuff out of your system and returning to a more normal routine. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

chris finn

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
Yup...I had a lot of trouble sleeping after the operation...lasted about 2 months. Annoying, but it went eventually. I didnt have the sweats though.
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
Me too... night sweats, the chills, the itches, the gotta do number 2 but can't syndrome, and funny bubbly sensations when i urinated.  Anyone else have this problem? It lasted for three days and it was weird. 
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
I know I've been having some post op problems but I've not slept more than 3-4 hours since my op:-/
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

bigblue

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
I did have a problem sleeping. Mine was caused by the meds which eventually led to an allergic rash. I took over the counter benadryl which solved both problems.

Anniee

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »
I had problems sleeping for the first two weeks or so.  For me, I think it was mostly that I could not get myself into a comfortable position for sleeping.  And I had weird dreams when I did fall asleep, but that went away when I stopped the narcotics.  Also, I was supposed to keep a pillow between my legs, and the darned thing kept getting in the way and/or falling on the floor.  The sleeping problems were pretty much gone by the third week after surgery. :)
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

jjmclain

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »
I didn't sleep well for the first 4 weeks until all of the restrictions were lifted and I was taken off of coumadin. I think I never slept more than 1-2 hours straight.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
Mine definitely seemed drug related. Took a week after I quit to calm down.  Now I'm just stuck with my middle of the night old man pees.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

chris finn

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »
  Now I'm just stuck with my middle of the night old man pees. 

lol...glad its not just me  ;) :D
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

PistolPete

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »
I slept better last night.  I did wake up around midnight and was up for an hour or two.  But, I was able to get back to sleep which was great.  I had the night sweats again last night but not nearly as bad.  I"m hoping to be sweat free tonight.  Here's hoping.

PistolPete

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »
I'm on day 11 and stil get the night sweats pretty bad. I'm not on any meds except for the asprin so I'm hoping the night sweats will go away ASAP.  It is no fun waking up drenched to the bone.  I'm wearing moisture wicking shirts so my T-Shirt doesn't hold the water in but it's still aweful.

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
I've been taking Tylonol PM for my 11:00pm dose in place of regular tylonol.  The Dr said there was no problem with this.  It has helped me sleep through the night, with the occasional need to pee. I wake up in the morning refreshed and not drowsy, except for the quick cat nap around 3:00pm.  I think that sleep is very important to the recovery period.  I'll cut back when I can sleep on my side again and feel comfortable.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »
You're right about the sleep, Cantab, necessary for a healthy recuperation.

Pete - my night sweats stopped after about three weeks. It is pretty bad, but they go, and once they go, they go for good. Feel for you, I went through it twice.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal