+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Day 4 - Surgery w/ Dr. Gross  (Read 3421 times)

tennisgirl

Day 4 - Surgery w/ Dr. Gross
« on: November 13, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I had my surgery last Wednesday November 9th, and like Pete, I have pain in groin and top of my thigh, plus the lovely ache at the incision point.  It's reassuring to hear this is all pretty normal.  My swelling and bruising is not too bad at day four.  I actually hurt more now than before surgery.  I have not had a good experience with two different types of pain killers...nausea has ruled, so I stopped taking them yesterday, and the pain isn't too bad.  I chose pain over nausea (and Dr. Gross even gave me a script for painkiller nausea...didn't work).  I think I am truly one of those people who are very sensitive to pain meds.  I am taking tylenol for now.

Has anyone experienced being lightheaded?  I took a shower today and while putting on my war paint (make-up for you gents), I felt weird and sat down.  Ate some lunch and am trying to stay hydrated, but still feel a little yucky.  Don't know if this is just another side effect from surgery.

Glad you are all out there to bounce thoughts off of!

Mindi

BTW, I played tennis the night before my surgery.  Dr. Gross recommended some courts to me and my husband.  Was so glad to get one more time in.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:04:14 PM by Pat Walter »
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Day 4 Surgery w/ Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
Mindi

Glad to hear you are on the mend.  I moved your post to your own topic under Hip Stories so other people can read about your surgery and recovery.

I had problems with nausea too.  I could not take the codeine type meds they had in Belgium and ended up with just Advil.  I was lucky and did not not a lot of pain meds.  Have you tried Trimodal?  It is the mildest of the narcotics and used a lot. My dog even uses it sometimes!

A lot of people are lightheaded.  You still have meds and anaesthesia in your body plus you might have lost some blood.  Just be careful and take it easy.  If it gets worse, give your family doctor a call. 

There are so many side effects of surgery.  Some people have almost none while others have many problems - nausea, dizziness, sweating, vision problems, headaches, etc.  It is pretty much normal to have some problems.  If you have any really bad pain in your legs, it is possible to have blood clots. Those are very severe pain, but need to be checked at the emergency room.  Not many people have them, but occasionally it does happen.  So it is good to ask here, but if anything is really, really bad - call your surgeon, family doctor or go to the ER.  Blood clots can be very dangerous. 

Not trying to scare anyone, but we just need to be aware that there are many effects of surgery that are very bothersome - but when they get very painful or severe, don't take chances.  Most people can tell the difference of pain from bruises and incisions compared to blood clots or even femur neck fractures.  They are in great, great pain.

Good Luck.

Pat
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:03:55 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Day 4 - Surgery w/ Dr. Gross
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
Congratulations Mindi,  I'm envious, I wish my surgeries were behind me.  I would bet that these problems will pass in no time and you can start working your way back.  Just think about how great it's going to be when you are back on the court with no pain and a good leg to swing off of.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

tennisgirl

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Hi Pat,

First let me say, you are awesome and I'm so glad you have this forum!

I promise not to take any chances with my health and will call my doc if I feel worse.  My legs feel fine and I'm doing the PT exercises faithfully and can actually see some progress.  I am also not being ultra aggressive and taking things very easy...letting my family and friends baby me when appropriate.  I love all the meals that are being brought to me.

Unfortunately, Tramadol is another one of the evil drugs for me.  Had a very bad experience with it two years ago, so it's off the list.  I'm really doing okay just with the Tylenol, and not much of that at all.  Wish pain meds did work for me, but they don't.  Can you guess I'm a cheap date too?

I do think you and the others that have commented are completely correct that my body is struggling with the anesthesia, pain meds, etc.  So, the plan is to feel much better tomorrow.  I'm trying to drink lots of water the rest of the day (will pay for it at night, right?) and flush the toxins out hopefully.

I do also want to say that I received top notch care at the hospital in Columbia.  All of the staff at Providence Hospital have extreme respect for Dr. Gross.  Even the pharmacy I visited in Columbia had wonderful things to say about him.  It was another bonus that I was able to go home the next day...even though the hospital folks were great, I never slept more than an hour that one night...

Will try to update with more in a few,

Mindi

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
Wow, you only spent 1 night in the hospital???  I wouldn't have been ready to go home that soon.

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 06:18:32 PM »
So glad to hear that you made it through surgery.  Did you by any chance go to the courts aff Parklane Road, which is very near the hospital.  I played there alot a couple of years back, pre hip issues.  Would love to be able to get back into tennis.  Please keep posting as you make recovery and progress back into tennis.  I would love to hear how it goes and how long it takes.  I am from Columbia and have my surgery in early December.  I did not know Dr. Gross played although he did ask what I hope to be able to do after surgery that I can not do now.  I responded tennis (singles player) and running and he was very encouraging of these activities (running in moderation though).  Good luck to you.  Every day will be better.  I am like you, very bad with pain meds so if you find something that works let us know!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
      Mindi, I met with Dr. Gross for my 6 weeks the next morning at the Irmo office.  He was very upbeat so he MUST have had a great day with you in the OR!  Glad to hear things went well.  I actually got chewed out good naturedly by Lee during my checkup.  I had my surgery on Friday and checked myself out on Saturday after the PT lesson.  She said she came by my room and nobody was home.  Must be pretty normal now for his patients to leave after one night.  Let us know how the recovery goes.  The quad pain you mentioned went away for me after about 2 weeks.  Good luck. Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

tennisgirl

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
Yeah, Dr. Gross plays USTA, and found out his wife is a player too.  Yes, I did play at the courts off Parklane Rd...was about five minutes from the hospital, so it was very convenient.  After playing tennis we went into Columbia and had an awesome meal at a local restaurant.

I was really ready to go home the next day...it's a four hour ride from Columbia, so it wasn't too bad and we beat rush hour traffic so I was home by 5:30 p.m.

I actually walked a few hours after I got out of recovery.  Unfortunately, I made it as far as a few steps past my room and got sick.  My PT wouldn't let me walk anymore after that cuz she didn't want me making a mess in the hallway.

The next morning after surgery I had a brief session with an OT in my room who made me dress myself and take a shower, which was very valuable.  You think you can do things, and then, you realize you have to modify your moves to adhere to Dr. Gross' restrictions.  I also went to a group PT session with four other Dr. Gross patients.  We reviewed the four PT exercises we are allowed to do, plus practice going up stairs and instructions on getting in and out of a car.  Once I finished "class", I was allowed to leave.

And Curt, I'd like to think Dr. Gross was in a good mood due to my surgery...he told my husband my bones were in great shape, and I was very flexible, so it made the surgery easy for him.  Glad to oblige, ya know?

Mindi

Aerial

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
Mindi- Just curious how long the whole process was from your scheduled surgery time to the recovery room time to making it to your room?  I'm asking this for my husband!

tennisgirl

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »
I arrived at the hospital at 8:00 a.m., and my understanding I was the third of five scheduled surgeries by Dr. Gross that day.  My paperwork said 10:30 surgery, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get wheeled out of the pre-op area until around 11:00 a.m., I could be wrong, as I was being given meds to relax me and my time frame could be off.

I do remember waking up in recovery after 3:00 p.m. and being surprised it was so late.  I think I was back in my room by 4:00, but I was in an alternate medical universe....

My husband said they did a great job of letting him know how long things would be, and Dr. Gross came out to talk to him after he was finished with me.  I know you are local, but we had a room at the Marriott Courtyard and my husband did go back there to hang out for a bit.

What time is your surgery scheduled?

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
Wow, I must be surgery 5 of 5!  I am to arrive at noon and surgery at 2:30!  I was a level four singles player, maybe I can chat Dr. Gross up on that.  Some of my worst and earliest hip pain came from tennis so I stopped it quite a while ago.  Would LOVE to feel a kill shot of a strong down the line backhand again!   :). I really thought tennis was out of the question, until I saw dr. Gross.

curt

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »
    He gets really proud of what his patients can do after surgery.  You are in terrific hands!  Enjoy and start stringing up a racket for spring!  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

tennisgirl

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
Dr. Gross called himself a 3.5 hacker...I bet he is a good player.  I was lucky that I could continue to play up 'til surgery, but who knows how I would be if I waited any longer?  I am rated 4.0, but would love to get my rating up...maybe with a new hip!

Yes, just keep your eye on the prize of returning to the sport/activity you love...that goes for all of us.

Aerial

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »
Sounds great on going beyond 4.0 with your new bionic hip!  I am amazed you could still play.  The twisting and the torque really hurts my hip.  I'm pretty certain my initial labral tear was from tennis.  I was playing along and something just went.  It was bad to the point I could not continue playing that day, meaning it was not just like something that caused a little pain (I had to stop which is not something i ever did in tennis....you know the drill.....oh come on just three more balls.....ok three more!).  :) Onward though on bionic hips!

tennisgirl

Headache and dizziness for three days
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I posted a few days ago I was experiencing dizziness, so I contacted Dr. Gross' office, and was advised to see my local GP, which I did yesterday.  Got a full check-up and today the bloodwork results came back...all is normal.  I am also noticing that my head is hurting...a dull, pressure like headache.

I have calls into both my GP and Dr. Gross' office to see if they think I am having issues from the spinal anethesthesia, since I am doing very well in every other way.

Anyone else have this happen to them post-surgery?

Mindi

Aerial

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:39:08 PM »
How are you doing?  Has the dizziness gone away?

tennisgirl

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »
Yes, I am soooo much better today...yesterday was awful.  The night before I was advised to drink full octane coffee and remain flat on my back.  Well, I am very sensitive to caffeine, so I didn't sleep much that night, plus sleeping on my back flat killed my upper back muscles.  Nancy at Dr. Gross' office checked with Lee Webb, who advised me to stay hydrated, take Tylenol, and that the headaches, etc.  should pass soon. 

Last night I slept great, was even able to roll on my unoperated side and sleep with a pillow between my legs, and my five day headache has gone away.  Aside from the headache and dizziness, I am doing great.  I've been down to one crutch since day seven, and I think I'll be down to a cane in the next several days.  I can move the operated side leg very well with minimal pain.  I've not had much swelling either, and my incision is healing well.  The polar care ice machine is just the best thing, and I'll bet it kept what little swelling I had to a minimum.  The only downside to that machine is that it needs to be fed ice alot, so if you get one you need to stock up on ice prior to surgery.

I also highly recommend a raised toilet seat with arms as it makes life so much easier, especially for a tall gal like me.  I have the newer, higher toilets in my house, but they are still too low for comfort IMO.

curt

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Glad to hear you are feeling much better.  Enjoy the weekend!

Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Anniee

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
Hi Tennisgirl,

I'm glad you're feeling better now, and sorry you had so many issues a lot of us do not have to deal with!  Hopefully, you will keep getting better every day from now on! 
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear