+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Payback to the first Hippy!  (Read 1779 times)

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Payback to the first Hippy!
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
     Like a lot of new Hippies, most of us started our journey to resurfacing via a doctors, good research, or like me - hearing about it from someone who had already experienced one or two.
     I was pondering my 6 week check up with Dr. Gross, and decided to email the man who introduced me to resurfacing quite a while ago.  We were flying together and I was having one of my bad hip days, and he enlightened me on his successful resurfacings.  He did both 9 years ago when it was still getting certified(?) here in the U.S.  I'm pretty sure both of his were BHRs.
     Anyway, what intrigued me was his desire to pass on the knowledge of the difference between THR and HR and how it allowed him to return to an active lifestyle.  His response email stated that he just celebrated his 61st birthday today in Illinois by biking 61 miles in the country.  Not bad for a "test case".
      I'm really grateful to have had the luck to fly with that gentleman, or I would be sitting here with a total hip, probaby pain free, but also with less of a chance to return to a level of activity that the HR might allow.  I hope in the next few years that I have the chance to affect someone else's life in as meaningful a way.  I'm not a believer that HRs are for every single person with a bad hip, but the knowlege about them is, as the commercial puts it, "PRICELESS".  Cheers everybody, just feeling good today.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Boomer

Re: Payback to the first Hippy!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »
It appears that you may have reached Hippy Nirvana, as Tin Soldier described it. "You and your new hip are one." Congratulations Curt.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

curt

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »
     Thanks Boomer, you're up!  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:13:56 PM »
That's a great story Curt. It reminds me of the person who told me about HR. That person was the first ortho who read my x-rays and told me he could make money off me doing bilateral hip replacments but that he believed i was too young and way too active to pursue that avenue and told me to research a new surgery called HR. He then informed me he does not do them but to do my homework and make a decision. Anyways he was very instrumental in getting my insurance company to reverse their denial decisions and approve my surgery. I consider him a great honest doctor who lead me to HR.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:25 AM »
Hi Curt

I enjoyed reading your post.  Very positive!

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
 The guy who first told me about the BHR was Terry O'Reilly, retired Boston Bruin.  I was at a fundraiser for military families last year at the army/navy game and someone introduced us  as I played a lot of hockey as a kid.  Terry asked if I still skated and I told him I couldn't because of my hip.  He told me about his bilateral BHR and couldn't say enough about it.  He plays hockey 3 nights a week during the winter and rides a couple of 100 miles a week on his bicycle in the good weather. We spoke for over an hour and he gave me his cell phone number if I had any other questions. He had to go to England to get his done. Up until that day I was set to have the complete hip replacement, when it was time.  Well when it was time I did the research and found a local Dr. who does the BHR and I got the BHR, 11/10/11, and though it is early I think I made the right choice.  I hope to see Terry O'Reilly at the same fundraiser on 12/10/11 and thank him.  I'll also tell him about this forum and maybe he'll post something about his experience.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

curt

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:56:26 PM »
Paul that's awesome.  I think it actually makes the guy or gal that clues you into it feel pretty good that they helped you out.  Bet he gets a boost out of knowing he made a difference for you.  Hope your recovery is going smoothly as ever!  Curt
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM