+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: getting in tub  (Read 2202 times)

othepain4

getting in tub
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
Is it hard to get into a tub to shower?

sdunn4

Re: getting in tub
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »
Hello Pain,

My personal experience was that I was lucky to have a walk-in shower to use for the first 2 1/2 weeks post-op.  I felt more comfortable with this than the shower.  When I finally decided to try the regular tub at about day 18, I was surprised it was so easy- just step close and bend your operated leg up and then swing it over into the tub- hopefully you are not super-short.

Today marks 21 days for me, and this past week has been a big one- I started using the regular shower / tub (no problems; could have done it earlier), I ditched the raised toilet seat, and started mixing in periods of walking with no cane during my daily walks.  Each day sees progress; when you look at a week it is really surprising how quickly you can make strides if you are religious about the PT and the walking!

Good Luck,

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

PistolPete

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
The tub is actually pretty easy believe it or not.  If you put your operated leg against the side of the tub and hold on to your crutches on the opposite side all you need to do is lift your foot towards your but and pivot it into the tub.  Then simply lift the other leg and you're in.  I had one day I didn't think I could get in because I was really sore and all I did was put my operated knee on the top of the but and use that as support. Then I just pivoted my operated leg over and my foot down and I was in.  Not very difficult at all.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:01:23 AM »
Pistol and I had the same trainer (Occupational Therapist at Newton-Wellesley). It really is not much of a problem, once you learn the steps. It also doesn't last that long, since your ROM comes back pretty quickly. One of the first Aha!! moments for me was when I lifted my operated leg and cleared the top of the tub with a good two inches clearance.

Before the operation, I could not clear a tub wall. I had to pull my leg up, slam my foot on the top of the tub wall and push it across into the tub. Very quickly outpaced that after the operation(s).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »
HAHA Hernanu,

I was the same way pre-surgery.  What I would do is pick my heel up towards my but and then swing my hip so my foot would clear the top of the tub and then climb in with my other leg.  Actually, now that I think about it I was doing the same movement I'm doing post surgery.  haha 

I can remember once when I was teaching a children's Martial Arts class a month or so ago and I was showing a kick.  I was feeling pretty god that day and I threw the kick and it literally brought tears to my eyes.  If noone was around I would have fallen to the ground in pain.  But, my pride kept me on my feet but I paid for that kick for about a week.  Here's hoping in 6 months or so that kick will be a piece of cake.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
I hope so too, Pete. I can do some pretty reasonable roundhouses right now, only waist level for now, but there you go.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:23 AM »
I have a walk in shower and it made all the difference.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal