+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Female may have resurfacing in one month  (Read 1438 times)

brightside

Female may have resurfacing in one month
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Hi,
I am relatively new to the board and may have a RBHR in one month.  The surgeon I have seen is very experienced in BHR's.  Fortunately my bone density for a 56 year old female is good.  However I am 5'4'.  When the doctor briefly looked at my x-rays he said I would probably be at around a 44 size but would know more when he approached.  Evidently alot of females fall within that size.  I was really unclear if I am really sensitive to metal.  I never give much thought to allergies.  I would like the birmingham device for now, only because of the long track record.

Wondering if there are other females in US that have been successful so far.  I have also been in touch with Vicky Marlow.  I have osteoarthritis now at an advanced stage.  When I had x-rays four months ago and someone (not my doctor) mentioned a THR--I was not ready yet. The surgeon is very reputable that I have sought advice for with my hip.  This is the time I wish I was a bit more bigger boned.

jjmclain

Re: Female may have resurfacing in one month
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
Hi brightside,

I am a very small boned female, 5'2", and just hit my one year post-op left BHR. I was bone on bone arthritis with AVN and a very large cyst. My surgery was a success! I don't even notice my left hip....I feel better than I have in years. Good Luck to you!!

June

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Hi

Many small women have had a sucessful hip resurfacing.  If you are with a really experienced surgeon, you should not have problems.

Vicky is a very small lady and she has 2 BHRs.  I am sure she suggested using a very experienced hip resurfacing surgeon.

Good Luck.  Looking forward to you future posts.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

brightside

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
Thank you for your feedback.  It seems like I may have to travel for the surgery, but some of my insurance may cover it, that I am still working on.

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
One of my friends (who referred me to Dr. Gross), is a very active, small female (much smaller than I am).  She had one of her hips resurfaced about 8 years ago, and has had absolutely no problems.  She does everything, including running, teaching aerobics, competitive bike riding.   She had an annual check-up with Dr. Gross a couple of months ago, and everything is still perfect.

I think if you have not given much thought to allergies, you may not have to worry.  I was a little concerned because I sometimes have problems with earrings that are not gold, but I have had no problems with my implants to date.  My right hip was resurfaced last April, and the left one last month.

Who is your doctor?
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

mslendzion

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
I'm 5.1 and scheduled for surgery in January. I am also bone on bone with spurs, cysts, and advanced degeneration.  I was worried too about my size.  My doctor does not see any concerns.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Luann

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
Hi Brightside! I was 45 (had sx 17 months ago) when I had my HR done. I am an ex-jockey, so you can imagine my size is small! I am an 5'2" female who now averages about 117 lbs. I wear a size 5-6 in Wangler jeans. My Dr had a choice between a Wright C+ or a BH. In his opinion, the Wright C+ components fit a small framed women better, so that is what I got! I can still ride (western show events) horses well, and have really had no problems other than the usual "healing pains" you see on this website. Most days now I forget I've even had it done! Hope this helps, and good luck!! Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat