+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Latest statistics from Dr Gross on his results  (Read 3614 times)

einreb

Latest statistics from Dr Gross on his results
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
First 1000 uncemented implants and other data through August 2011 from Dr Gross is located here...

http://www.grossortho.com/forms/HSR%20consent%208_2011.pdf

I held out on the uncemented until it hit the 3 year mark.  It seems to be performing quite well.  I know that all sorts of other surgeons 'survivor-ship' data gets mentioned in passing and without context, but I'm very appreciative of the fact that Dr Gross is so forthcoming with his results.

Interesting to note his failures (requiring revision) in the first 1000 un-cemented Biomet implants:

1. Femoral neck fracture: 6
2. Early femoral collapse (avascular necrosis): 2
3. Failure of acetabular ingrowth: 5
4. Adverse wear failure: 2
5. Deep infection with loss of implant: 0
6. Recurrent dislocations requiring revision: 0
7. Femoral component loosening: 0
8. Acetabular component loosening 0
9. Subtrochanteric femur fracture 1 (related to hardware removal)

I look at each failure mode as to how it might impact me and what I can do do not be a failure data point.

#1 - I'm past the 6 month mark and so that bodes well for me
#2 - Not sure what I can do about that, but my last x-ray showed no issues
#3 - I have the tri-spike cup (extra fixation for my freaky perthes hip!) that has had 0 failures as I understand it
#4 - My cup is in the mid 30 degree range and the failures came with 50+ degrees (crossing fingers)
#9 - I have no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound good.

Headed off to play two hours of full court hoops tonight.  That's enough internet and data... time to suck it up on the basketball court

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

23109VC

Re: Latest statistics from Dr Gross on his results
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »
Einreb-

Full court hoops!  You must be feeling good!  Glad to hear you are doing well.

Thanks for posting the info!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

einreb

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »
Full court hoops!  You must be feeling good!

I've played 4 times now in the last 5 weeks.  Oddly enough most of my 'problems' have been with my other leg (knee/calf pain).  I came to the realization last night that my left (operated) leg is still very weak and I favor my right leg too much.  I think I'm going to stay off the court for a month or so and focus on regaining that strength and balance things out a little bit.

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
Good that you picked up on that, Bernie - you don't want your body to pick up bad habits from being thrown into the fray a bit early.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
Wow, that is a 1.6% failure rate for uncemented.  Even for cemented hips that's a really good rate.  Bear in mind Dr. Gross works with VERY difficult cases too.

Hopefully those of us in this study turn out to be that rate @20 years.  I'll be happy when I hit the 10 year mark   LOL

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »
Those are very impressive data.  Thanks for posting Bernie and have fun!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
     Thanks for the data Bernie, I can use that and my Dr. Gross T-shirt in my recruiting campaigns!  Given my recent talk with him, I believe that he thinks once a year passes without problems, you might have passed a sort of failure barrier and might actually have a better outcome with uncemented implants.  No chance of cement getting brittle and failing down the road I think.  I have NO idea what the incidence of that is, but its nice to know that the medium and short term statistics all look so good once the implants are ingrown.  Now if the rest of my body could just quit aging that would be perfect.  Cheers, Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
Curt,

The cement becoming brittle and causing the implant to fail is a hypothesis of Dr. Gross, while I agree with many that he's a very gifted surgeon no proof of cement being an issue has ever surfaced to any degree of certainty.   While I tend to agree that over a long term that uncemented will work better it's really never been proven...... now, bear in mind I have banked my right hip on Dr. Gross being right, he could be wrong, we will see in the next 5 - 7 years.

As President Lincoln once said "the hen is the wisest of all the animal creation because she never cackles until after the egg has been laid"

It's my hope that all of us in the end die after a long happy life with our devices firmly implanted in our hips whether they be cemented or uncemented.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
I stand humbly chastised.  My apologies for inventing long term data on behalf of Dr. Gross.  I certainly understand that the uncemented bias is unproven over the long term.  I guess nearly all of this data is only short and medium term.  I also hope that ALL hippies are 20-30 year success stories, regardless of implant or method.  So far I can only volunteer to 2 months of results.  Sorry 'bout that.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
No need to apologize Curt, your choice was probably a good one based on early stats from the uncemented study, it's just that the egg has not shown up, yet  ;-)

Like I said earlier I bet my right hip on Dr. Gross being correct, I had the choice with him to go with cement or uncemented.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
It's my hope that all of us in the end die after a long happy life with our devices firmly implanted in our hips whether they be cemented or uncemented

Amen to that!  I hope I'm around when the uncemented egg shows up :)!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 10:42:53 PM »
I'm taking both of mine to the Crematorium.  That's a kind of a weird thought, huh?

On the topic of uncemented vs non-uncemented, it seems totally reasonable that the fem compenent would get good fixation if it has the same type of porous material as the ace component, as long as there is good circulation. 

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal