+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Holiday planning post surgery  (Read 1688 times)

Aerial

Holiday planning post surgery
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
Hello fellow hippies.  Wow, my surgery is getting close.  I have my pre-op a week from today with Dr. Gross and then surgery on 12/5.  My question is related to holiday planning post surgery.  I will not be hosting any family events this year for obvious reasons but I'm wondering what I will feel up to on the weekends of December 17-18 (a couple days short of 2 weeks post op) and December 24-25 (a couple days short of three weeks post op).  These are weekends that family events will be taking place that I would like to participate in.  I will not be traveling more than an hour and not staying overnight anywhere (husband doing the driving). At that point in recovery, can I make it through a holiday party?  I'm not sure what my energy level will be, ability to sit, etc.  Any thoughts on what I might be ready for would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:52:10 AM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

Re: Holiday planning post surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
I think you can, just have to plan ahead. At two weeks, you should be able to motor around on crutches, so you just have to plan to ice as you travel. I put my handy dandy super duper flat ice pack under my leg for the trips that I took, that helped.

Make sure you tell whoever is hosting that you need a place to sit and if you have any ultra friendly huge dogs (malamutes, newfoundlands, etc.) that they be restrained and conduct themselves with decorum.

I'd take a tylenol before, and take the bottle in case you need it. I would think you'd be fine. At one week after my second, I went to my daughter's pre-party at my ex-house and stood / sat for about an hour or so. About two weeks after my first, I was tooling around with my sister's family on one crutch at the Harvard Coop and a good Mexican restaurant for about three hours.

Both times were exhausting, but that was pretty much it. No drama and I had fun. I think you'll be fine, use your condition to get out of doing the dishes.  8) Leave whenever you please, or take a nap if you're lagging. an hour down does wonders.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:42:49 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
Hi Aerial,
I took it very slowly and actually cancelled going to a dinner party with my friends at the 4 week mark. Everyone is different though so you may feel up to a holiday gathering very soon after surgery. It certainly helps to interact and be around people who are happy and celebrating. My son and daughter in law came over for dinner (hubby cooked) and all I could do was sit at the table for about 45 minutes, eat a bit, and then go back to bed. I think that was 2 weeks post op. I was tired after their visit but it was well worth it.

I'd sort of play it by ear and let people know that you plan on being there but that your plans may change depending on how you are feeling.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Luanna

Thanks for your experiences and tips.  Hopefully I can get out some.  I had and extensive foot surgery in the past and I kind of hit a point where my body told me I could handle getting out.  Up to that point, I just slept, got up for awhile, watched Netflix and then slept again.  I suspect it will be similar with this surgery.  It was right at about two weeks with my foot that I felt like doing something.  I had horrible headaches after that surgery for a good week and a half.  I'm going to mention that up front this time.  Nothing would kick it.  I think it was related to the anesthesia.  Maybe it could be avoided from the start.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:11:05 PM by Aerial »
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »
Sorry luanna, no idea how I posted within your post. 

Thanks for your experiences and tips.  Hopefully I can get out some.  I had and extensive foot surgery in the past and I kind of hit a point where my body told me I could handle getting out.  Up to that point, I just slept, got up for awhile, watched Netflix and then slept again.  I suspect it will be similar with this surgery.  It was right at about two weeks with my foot that I felt like doing something.  I had horrible headaches after that surgery for a good week and a half.  I'm going to mention that up front this time.  Nothing would kick it.  I think it was related to the anesthesia.  Maybe it could be avoided from the start.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
     Aerial, at around two weeks you should be about clear of the effects of surgery and hopefully done with the heavy medical ammo.  It takes a while to come down from being an oxycontin junkie.  Anyway, as long as you aren't playing flag football you should be just fine for sitting or standing.  You may still be using one crutch or more likely a cane, but using Hernanu's ice pack while in the car (make sure it doesn't leak or people will point and laugh), should give you a chance to keep any swelling under control.  He prescribes celebrex as the anti-inflam...take it.  You'll do great, but like Luanna said, don't be afraid of cancelling.  Happy pre-holiday!  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM