+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: uncemented hip  (Read 1424 times)

bri

uncemented hip
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
My doctor told me I would have a uncemented cup.I would not be able to put weight on it for 3-4 weeks.Does this mean that you have to put 100% of the weight on the crutch? I see videos of people walking right after surgery ect. Just sounds like your cup could come loose or something before the bone is 100% grown into the cup. You would think putting screws in would help hold it in place better.

hernanu

Re: uncemented hip
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54:40 PM »
Hey Bri,

I think it depends on the type of damage you have. Who is your doctor and how many HRs has he/she done? I know Dr. Gross has had a lot of success with uncemented cups, so that is a reliable technique.

At one point you were considering doing both, is that still the case? Were you able to get your XRays to Dr. Gross or one of the other Doctors available for free consultations?

I'm not sure how you would do 100% non weight bearing, especially with both being done. Maybe someone else knows, that's why getting an opinion from one of the doctors available here would be good for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:18:59 PM »
       Bri, the implants are pounded into place.  Unless you have a very odd shaped hip (mine was a little oval but not out of spec) the uncemented cup is literally pounded into place.  As long as you don't overdo the stresses by running, jumping or falling it should stay right where it is after surgery.  Same with the femoral component. I know some have had a spiked cup implanted due to shape or other issues.  The less hardware the better I think. 
      As far as the recovery weight bearing, Dr. Gross uses a rapid recovery with 90 percent load bearing or the slower, precautionary recovery with 10 percent weight bearing.  It doesn't have anything to do with the lack of cement, rather with the condition of the femur or other bone issues. Not sure if it is routine with bilater surgeries.  Lots of bilats here though that could tell you.  Good luck, Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
Virtually all acetabular components are biological fixation ( bone ingrowth)
I know in some revisions etc they cement the cup. It is very well wedged in they reem 1-2mm less and put a larger device In so the bone already hold it real well. The cups also generally have anti rotation flanges on them which will stop rotational movement.
Obviously ask your surgeon but find a surgeon who is a hr advocate and has done a good number and most important good results!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat