+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Removal of osteophyte from FAI  (Read 1465 times)

Baby Barista

Removal of osteophyte from FAI
« on: November 17, 2011, 04:58:59 AM »
I have long suffered from FAI, which doctors believe was a significant factor in my OA and current need for HR intervention. The FAI caused me a lot of pain, well before I developed arthritis

I have read some conflicting things about the removal of these osteophytes. Particularly those that are creeping onto the femoral neck that are not removed by reaming of the femoral head. I have seen surgical videos in which Dr. Su methodically removes these osteophytes, but understand that other doctors don't.

What are the protocols of other doctors? I particularly interested in how Dr. Pritchett handles these.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Dannywayoflife

Re: Removal of osteophyte from FAI
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
I had both cam and pincer impingement. Mr Treacy told me that fai especially the cam type does make surgeory more difficult but the more experienced surgeons can deal with this.
I believe Pritchett is very experienced so it shouldn't be a problem.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:46 PM »
All of mine (and they were definitely there) were removed during the procedure. No problems since. You should explicitly talk to Dr. Pritchett about what the plan is.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
Based upon my op report and talks with him, Dr. Gross removes all oseophytes during the procedures. Had them on both hip and femur.  Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:22:49 PM »
This is an interesting subject.

I specfically asked Pritchett about the reshaping or bone work on the femoral neck below the femoral component.  I think I asked him just before going under on No.2.  I think his response was that he doesn't like to mess around with the femoral neck if he doesn't have to.  My memory is a bit fuzzy due to the narcotics they gave me.   I just looked at my before and after images and it appears that the major osteophyte on my right side was completely removed, but it had to be because it was in the way of the cap.  On the left side, however there appears to be a little bit of a remnant of ostephyte just below the femoral cap. 

I'd ask him and you might have a copy of your images on hand when you do.  He might be able to show you what will get carved away and what won't.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats