+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clunking?!  (Read 3339 times)

Dannywayoflife

Clunking?!
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:49:26 AM »
Ive started to get what I think are usually referred to as clunking. They are uncomfortable and some times painful. Is this normal? It feels like a mix of the following things, the device slipping,air bring released from around the device and a feeling that it's about to dislocate.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

Re: Clunking?!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:11:27 AM »
Yup, normal. Your supporting muscles are all sorts of ticked off at you, weak, irritated and just not up to it right now.

You're still early in the recoup, the muscles are probably still healing and will be very weak. The clunking comes from the muscle's weakness, and will lessen over time. I still get some every now and then, giving me notice that there's still work to be done. As you get stronger, you'll notice most of that goes away.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »
I had clunking for a long time.  Less as I recovered.  It did not hurt in my case, but you almost felt it more than hearing it.  It did have sorta of a suction feeling.  The muscles are not strong enough to hold the cup and cap of the resurfacing tightly together.  It will get better.  I still get it occasionally at 6 years post op when I bend over a certain way.  It does not hurt.

You are early in your recovery. Just take it easy.  Many strange things happen while you are recovering.  Normally, not to worry unless there is great pain.  If you have a lot of pain that won't go away, then it is always good to call the surgeon.  If you have really bad, deep pain in your legs - it could be a blood clot. If anyone ever has very severe pain in their legs, then it is worth a trip to the ER.  Few people have blood clots, but there have been some.  So don't worry about the small stuff, but if it gets beyond anything normal meds won't stop, then start calling the surgeon or go to the ER.

Good Luck and stay in touch.  I put your story in the bilateral Hip Stories section.  That way new people can read about the same types of stories in one place.

Pat
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:03:09 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »
Hern,pat,
            Thanks for your replies. The "clunking" is defiantly uncomfortable! And a very very odd sensation. I do have horendous pain in my IT band when trying to flex my knee as it's just tightened up like a guitar string! I'll speak to the physio about this on Wednesday!
Thanks once again and pat thanks fir running this wonderful site!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »
That IT band is brutal once it gets inflamed.  Before I was diagnosed with hip OA I thought I needed my knee fixed, but it was just the IT band where it attaches to the knee.  I worked hard for 6 months on the IT band before the hip surgery.  The IT band is sore right now after my first PT session, I hope it doesnt' get to bad but I will bring it up to the PT.  Good luck Danny
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:38 PM »
Cantab,
          Thanks mate. One of the things is, as yourself I'm so early in recovery that I'm not sure weather it's too early for some massage by a pro?
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:39:07 AM »
I talked to my brother in law yesterday, he has one side done.  He mentioned the clunking feeling in the beginning.  I think I'm still too stiff to notice it.  He said that it was there and one day it was gone. He didn't notice ti leaving, it was just like "hey, I don't feel that any more.

We've just put our bodies through a huge trauma and everything has been yanked out of place and put back together with hammers and saws.  We've got to expect some tough spots before we are ready to get back to dancing the tango.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »
I still get the clunking, but is more like a suctiony type thing, as Pat said, or very light bump and it only happens when I move a certain way.  It was noticeable about 4 weeks out on both but not at all painful.  I've gotten pretty used to it.  I thought cycling would tighten things up, but it doesn't seem to.  There may be some very specific exercise to tighten things up?  Not sure.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »
Tin I'm going to try allsorts of strengthening stuff when I'm more healed. I've got an EMS machine that I'll try. I also plan on lots of stabilisation one leg balancing stuff etc.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
Let me know if you find a particular exercise that seems to tighten things up.  I think I noticed mine become less pronounced with daily leg strengthening, like walking and cycling.  Maybe with running, it will all go away.  I'm a little early for that.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »
Ditto I'm way too early for any of that! But when I finally get to that stage of rehab I'll let you know if I find anything particularly useful!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

JMS

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
I think you need to distinguish between two things that both get called clunking.  The "clunk"  is around loose muscles, and often it appears when you stretch the joint open, e.g. when you try to stride out and the joint on the back leg sorts of separates and then comes together again with a clunk.  That one seems to be very common in the early days and it also seems to go away on its own.
Then there is the second type, where instead of a clunk, you get a ker-clunk. That is, you can feel the first coming together of the two components, but they don't hit true, so the "ker" is followed by the slipping sensation as they finally line up, and then comes the "clunk" as they finally meet. That is edge loading and not so innocent.  Track theat one very carefully and make sure your surgeon knows about it.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
JMS - that's a pretty cool explanation, eventhough none of us want to ever be familiar with a clunk that is associated with edge-loading, high wear, or metallosis.  I can visualize what you are saying.  Again, my clunk is barely that and almost imperceptable, which I think is perfectly fine and expected.   

RJKELLY

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
Yup, normal. Your supporting muscles are all sorts of ticked off at you, weak, irritated and just not up to it right now.

You're still early in the recoup, the muscles are probably still healing and will be very weak. The clunking comes from the muscle's weakness, and will lessen over time. I still get some every now and then, giving me notice that there's still work to be done. As you get stronger, you'll notice most of that goes away.

At 8 weeks post-op for left hip resurfacing, I can say, based on my personal experience, that the "clunking" subsides as swelling subsides.  I still get a little when I do leg presses (light weight/high reps) but have noticed that as my leg gets stronger and my flex range increases, the clunk sensation is much less.  I brought this up with my doc at my 6 week follow-up and he closely examined my post surgical x-ray with me to confirm the implant was perfectly aligned.  Like any other steel-on-steel setting the components will "set" and the surrounding muscles will provide additional support as they strengthen. Of course everyone heals differently and at different rates.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat