+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain when first walking and off crutches  (Read 2528 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Pain when first walking and off crutches
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:25:37 AM »
Had left BHR on 10/5 with Dr. Brooks at Cleveland Clinic; was given the green light to dump the crutches this past Wednesday, after 6 weeks weight bearing at 75% per the protocol from my surgeon.  Back in the office, with a moderate walk from the garage to work, and walking the dogs again, about 1x per day, moving around the building I work in including steps and such.  Limping as expected but doing extra exercise to build up the atrophied and disrupted muscles.

The BHR xray was solid and the thing looked great (alignment etc) with no issues at 6 weeks.

Have had virtually no pain in/near groin/hip since very soon after the surgery, and taken no pain meds since week 2 other than tylenol, but I am hurting alot in the groin near the hip joint since resuming walking, and did have to take some pain meds today. 

Do others in this situation have some pain when resuming 100% weight bearing after extended time at 75%, and if so, how long did that last for you once you were walking? Figure this is probably expected, but just being cautious, as I see many posts here where people resume walking without pain.

Many, many thanks in advance, everyone here is so incredibly helpful and kind, and I really appreciate it.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: Pain when first walking and off crutches
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »
     Dan, for me sounds like some of the same.  When I tell people there is NO pain, I am referring to that deep ache/grinding that my hip used to have.  The muscle and tendon pains are less common now, but would flare up when I began the heavier walking and stair climbing using only the railing.  It would occur near the groin and at the top of the quad by the hip crease, rarely in my butt unless I was sitting on my femur (aka regular toilet seat that would lever my femur upward).  Like most, some of it is too long with not using the muscles and hip correctly.  The rest is understandably from the surgical trauma.
     Like everything in the recovery, when it starts to twinge, hurt, or cause anxiety, back off and take it easier.  I actually went back to using a cane for a few days when I overdid it to give it a little rest.  Ice, rest, elevation and anti-inflams have kept it calm and happy.  Best of luck, sounds like things are going fine. 

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:10:49 AM »
Curt;

That is exactly the place that hurts, close-ish to the joint but as you desribe in the crease, top of the quad.  Good to know I'm not unique, but not good to know you are having that sometimes too.  What is weird is that since the old bone on bone pain is gone, I have no idea what new pain the actual joint would be like.....

Trying to plan for an schedule the other hip...

Thanks very much
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »
Dan

Absolutely you will have muscle pain.  The trauma to the hip capsule and surrounding muscles is intense.  Also you will probably start walking differently which means stressing different muscles as well.

I had a fair amount of hip flexor and groin pain for weeks.  I also had pain on the outside of my thigh.  Now I only hurt when I workout hard.

Best wished.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz