+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: IT Band Issues and Tightness?  (Read 2413 times)

PistolPete

IT Band Issues and Tightness?
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
I had surgery 12 days ago and my IT Band is really really stiff and tight just behind my knee.  This is the only pain I currently have but it's really difficult esp. at the end of the day to bend my knee and to esp. straighten this out. 

Who else has experience this and what did you do to remedy it?  Is it something that will clear on its own or will PT be needed to fix this?

Thanks,
Pete

Dannywayoflife

Re: IT Band Issues and Tightness?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
I'd like to know also as mine is like a guitar string!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

dwbitt

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:53:13 AM »
Hi Guys,
My IT band was VERY tender to the touch for the first week or two at least, my PT suggested using a roller to massage it. I had been using the "The Stick" for self massage for years but my leg was much too sore to use it, I ended up gently rubbing the leg from my butt to the outside of the knee. It slowly improved, I was concerned it was aggravated by overuse, I had gotten on the bike trainer early on so I took a few days off, that may have helped too.
I also Iced often, very often.

Regards,
Dave

Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
As I have reported on several threads, I have had IT band tightness for 30 years.  It was very sore and tight after the surgery from the pulling and twisting.  It took a couple of weeks of self massage and icing to get it under control.

Now it seems even better than before surgery.  I think this is because I can stretch better than when my hip was bad.

It will get better.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

David

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
Pete,
My first week after surgery was fine, and then my leg seized.  I was walking and biking and nothing helped.  Had Dr. Su give me a Rx for PT and and soon as I started stretching and lifting weights all loosened up and began to feel better.
Find a great PT and take full advantage of all of the sessions your insurance may offer.  Even if they do not offer many, it will be the best investment you make to properly rehab and strengthen early after surgery.
Best...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
Dave, where did you go for PT?  I really like my guys at Plainview PT.  I'll most likely use them.  Dr Marwin recommended Professional PT in Garden City but I didn't get a good vibe from them and it's a long trip from Plainview.  I'm just checking. Also, did you use in home PT?  Have any ideas?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

David

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »
Jim, I go to a friend who has a sports rehab place a few miles from me.  As you know pt's are plentiful, you need to be with someone who gets to know you quickly and can diagnose what you need and will push you within your limits.
Go to who you know and are comfortable with for sure.  Since you are athletic you will get ahead of the regular protocol pretty quickly.
How are you feeling, at home or inpatient PT?
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

dwbitt

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »
David,
Wondering about the importance/need for outpatient PT. At 3 weeks I'm feeling very good, Abduction is a weak area and I'm working on that, my 'in home PT' ends after next week and I have an appointment w/Dr. Su on the 28th. Will he make a recommendation based on his examination of me at that time, or do I need to be proactive about further PT? Is there much more to be gained?

Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

David

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »
Dave,
I suppose it is not imperative to continue pt at all.  Your body will heal itself in its own due time.  I'm at week 12 post-op and have been to my 24th pt session, 2-3 times a week since week 3.  I know for sure I would not be nearly as strong as I am and doing all of the things I am doing without it.  Not that I would not be strengthening and stretching on my own, but having someone pinpoint your weaknesses, correct your wrongdoings, challenge you when your current regime becomes too easy, etc. is psychological food if nothing else. I'm setting big goals and pt is allowing me to stay on track.  I believe I have another 3 weeks on my current pt rx and am going to ask Dr. Su for another rx when I see him on the 28th as well, whether or not my insurance goes for it is another story.
You do indeed have to be proactive and in my opinion you have a tremendous amount to be gained.
I'm early on the 28th, maybe we'll meet...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

dwbitt

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 02:45:39 PM »
David,
My appointment is at Noon, probably get their early if the traffic isn't too bad. What time do you think you'll be done?
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

David

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »
8:30a.m. for me Dave. I'd imagine I'll be out of there by 10:00a.m.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM