+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre op appointment with Dr. Gross  (Read 1904 times)

Aerial

Pre op appointment with Dr. Gross
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »
I have my pre-op appointment on Tuesday with Lee Webb.  If you had surgery with Dr. Gross, how long is this appointment?  My chiro is near the office and I wanted to schedule an appointment afterward.  Although relief is temporary at this point from my chiro, I spent yesterday tackling a mountain of leaves in the yard which stressed my hip which in turn, messes up my back :-[. Would be nice to do the appointments back to back (and even nicer to have my hip fixed for good)!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

sdunn4

Re: Pre op appointment with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »
Hi Aerial, 

My operation was on Monday 10/24, and my pre-op was on Thursday 10/20.  I arrived at 9:15 for a 9:30 am appointment and was taken in early for the Dexa-scan and X-rays; I figured the whole appointment would go quickly!  Unfortunately I got set up in an exam room and had to wait an hour- Lee Webb and Dr. Gross had gotten side-tracked with someone / something else.  I finally got to meet with both Lee and Dr. Gross at about 11:30.  I decided to go through the whole list of questions I had written down for Dr. Gross and he obliged, staying with me through lunch until about 12:20.  So, maybe my appt. was atypical, but I would allow 2-3 hours for your appt. just to be sure you can plan for the unexpected.  I am on Day 27 of my recovery and walked 1 1/2 miles with no cane and a slight limp yesterday- Dr. Gross and his staff, including Providence Hospital, are tremendous- good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:18:13 AM »
     My pre-op was done the day prior to surgery (way-out-of-stater) and took about an hour and 15 mins.  Had the xrays and Dexa scan, and then met with Nancy to fill out forms, then Lee Webb and finally Dr. Gross.  Then had to pick up the ice machine to take with me to the hospital.  Not too much sitting around time.
     Best of luck on your upcoming freedom.  P.S.  Spent four days tackling leaves.  Most everything hurts, but the new hip performed very, very well.
Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

tennisgirl

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
I would also plan on at least 2 hours.  Also depends on the time of your appointment, as they can get backed up.  You'll go to xray, possible dexa scan (I didn't need one as I had one from the year before which they accepted).  In xray I got them to give me a copy of my xrays (and did the same at the hospital.  I like having my own set of xrays, etc. on disc.)  You'll meet with Lee Webb (I didn't see Dr. Gross for this appointment, although he did pop in to talk tennis with me).  I also met with another lady who fitted me with crutches and taught me how to use them.  BTW, I got some really cool crutches with these very nice handles and kind of hydraulic bottoms...you may want to compare them to the traditional crutches offered.  I loved them, although I only used then for about ten days.  My last stop was with Tracy in the finance office.
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
I did not have x-rays or a dexa scan at my first pre-op appointment, because x-rays were taken at my initial consultation with Dr. Gross, and I had had a dexa scan performed by my OB not long before, so that pre-op appointment took less than 1 hour.  Nancy went over the instructions with me, and then I saw Lee Webb.  For my second hip, I did have new x-rays taken because the hip had become so much more painful, so that probably took about 2 hours by the time everything was done.

So I think the time you need to depends on whether they already have the x-rays and dexa scan by the time you go for your pre-op, or not. :)

I had my post-op appointment with Lee last Thursday.  They take a new set of x-rays to check everything out.  I think I was there for a little over two hours.  Lee said everything looked perfect, so that was nice!

Good luck with everything!

Annie

Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 12:45:58 PM »
Good luck aerial.  Have no doubt that you will be feeling better a week from now.

I love your screen name.  It was my choice for my grandson since it comes from Shakespeare and it works for a boy or a girl.

They went with Kimo, which is Hawaiian for Jim, which is me.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Aerial

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
Thanks all.  Since I am in-state I scheduled my pre-op a little earlier than some because things will be slow at work this week (for thanksgiving).  Surgery is not until 12/5.  I have already had an appointment with Dr. Gross in September, have had my DEXA scan and X-rays,  have the cooling unit and all "tools" from arthroscopic hip surgery and have met with Tracy.  With that said, I'm not sure what there is left to do except check my hemoglobin which was 12.6 on my last blood draw.  Might have to do Procrit shots if it isn't back up on Tuesday which is my appointment day.  Starting to feel anxious a little bit but I am very ready to go through with this.  Glad everyone is doing well who has recently had surgery with Dr. Gross.  I did find out my surgery time was changed from 2:30 to 11:30 which I like!  I need to arrive at the hospital by 9:30 (hospital is under 5 miles from my house)!

sdunn4

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »
You are very lucky- the hospital is only 5 miles away for you!  My wife and I drove 996 miles each way.  We did turn it into a kind of a vacation, though- visited my Mom and next younger brother in Jax, FL during the weekend in between, and then I got to relax for the ride home with the ice machine and some heavy-duty painkillers.

Good luck once again- I would make the same trip over again if I had to.
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »
Don't worry,......be happy!!  Woooo hooo hooo...

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Anniee

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »
You'll be fine!  I'm glad your surgery got moved to earlier in the day - less time to starve!  Although I have to say it really did not bother me not to be able to eat and drink.  I think I was so excited/nervous that I did not feel hungry or thirsty.  And once you're in pre-op and on the IV, you won't be hungry, thirsty or nervous (once they put some of the good stuff in). ;D
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
(once they put some of the good stuff in)

Yes!  I wish they could bottle that good stuff and sell it, that is some really good stuff.  They could have told me I was going to have a sex change operation and I would have been good with it.

You'll even get a chance to mark the hip they are supposed to operate on, I marked the other one "not this one!"

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Aerial

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
I had my appointment today and because I had already had an appointment with Dr. Gross what happened today was very minimal.  I met with Nancy to cover current meds and get prescription info.  I talked briefly with Lee and she checked my medical tests one more time and asked it i had questions (I really had few questions because of this board).  They retook my hemoglobin and it was 13.6 so I am ready to go.  My appointment time was about 1/2 hour and my wait time about an hour and half!  Now I just have to keep calm until 12/5!

PS- If anyone remembers me buying my BMW Z4 not long ago.  I was told today I will likely be able to drive it after a month (because it is so low)!  It is going to be hard to watch my new car sit but I don't guess I'll feel much like driving anyway.  My husbands Prius will be alot easier to get into and out of in the short term.

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
That's excellent Arial, you're good to go then.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat