+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going bi-lat in 2 weeks any advice?  (Read 1862 times)

mikebaker

Going bi-lat in 2 weeks any advice?
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
Hi all, I am fairly new and had my first resurfacing in July of this year. It has been an incredible experience being pain free until my activity level started getting better and then my non-operated hip started to give me a lot of pain again. I am not as ready for the surgery as I would have liked. I have been exercising to strengthen my muscles and feel my operated hip can support the surgery. My doctor is very conservative, so if everything is perfect he will let me weight bear immediately, if not, 6 weeks toe touch weight bearing only. So any advice for the second time around from any of the bi-lat hippies?? Thanks again for all the support. Mike
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

hernanu

Re: Going bi-lat in 2 weeks any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »
Hey Mike, I actually had mine done in about the same spacing as you. I had my first done in August of last year, the second in late November of last year.

I don't think there was really any difference in the way I approached things the second time around, maybe just a lot calmer and more purposeful, since I knew how things had gone the first time. I did the same preparation as before, made plans to take a cab to the hospital, prepared everything at home, etc.

I was really excited the second time around, especially since my non operated leg had been giving me a hassle as the time neared. The hospital made sure I got the same anesthesiologist and obviously Dr. Snyder, but I also contacted my home PT and regular PT providers and asked them to get me the same people who I had worked with before.

I bought extra TEDs ahead of time (I had to wear them for three weeks before), got all of my stuff (sock putteronner, etc) out and practiced walking with the crutches to support the other leg (different procedure).

The only thing I wanted was to have the same outcome, and it basically was. Slight differences, but nothing of note. I woke up in the recovery area with some very attentive nurses instead of in my bed in the room with some very attentive nurses. The hospital recovery was the same, a bit better since I knew what to expect. At home, I got the same night sweats, etc. but got rid of everything and was driving (with my right operated foot) by two weeks or so.

The only difference was that we got hit hard by snow, so was unable to really walk a lot outside, so took advantage of the huge apartment complex that I lived in, and walked the hallways, trying to look like a ghost from "The Shining". Have to get your entertainment somehow, right?  ::)

Everything will go well, and then you'll be fully fixed. My supporting leg was fine, remember to work on your gait, Good luck Mike!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:02:07 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
Mike,
        I'm certainly not qualified to give you any advice. But you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
Mike, you got through the first rehab with one bad one still on the other side.  Now you will be working with a stable base on the resurfaced side.  This is never easy but you got through once, you should do just fine.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
Hi Mike, I had my two hips done four weeks apart.  I felt very ready for the second one after four weeks.  My first side(LBHR) was obviously not up to full strength after four weeks but I felt that it was strong enough to be my "good" side, at least temporarily.  And I really wanted to get it all over with.  I even came to feel that the added dependence on my left side may have helped it regain strength more quickly than it otherwise might have.

I was full weight bearing after my first surgery but after the second one my doctor, very apologetically, told me he was putting me on "toe touch only" for six weeks.  Apparently there was some problem getting the acetabular cup placed and he had to pound on it a lot.  Part of the problem was that my bones are apparently quite dense and hard which is, I guess, a good thing, but they wanted to make sure that any potential unseen damage would heal before any weight bearing. 

The most frustrating thing was having to stay off my leg for six weeks.  I felt like the soft tissue was recovering exactly as my other side had, and I had ditched the crutches after little more than a week the first time.  I'll have to admit that I MAY have put a SMALL amount of weight on it a few times while moving around the house, before the six weeks were up.  But...I did my best to stick to doctor's orders.

Good luck on your second surgery.  You'll do fine.
Just be thankful that we're only born with two hips... ;)

(also) Mike
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
6 months for me, but I think I could have been ready in 4 months.  Like I said before, I relied heavilly on my 6-month hip during recovery of no. 2.  Also, most certainly, I was in the same position with trying to continue with recovery of no. 1 but was slowed down by no. 2.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »
Mine were 6 months apart.  I think the second one was easier for two reasons:  1) I knew what to expect and thus was better prepared mentally, and 2) by the time I had the surgery my second hip was hurting quite a bit more than the first one did, and I absolutely had to do something.  For the second one, I did not get upset when I could not sleep for a while after I got off the narcotics, because that happened the first time too.  I was 100% weight bearing from the start (as tolerated) for both hips, but I was actually able to pull my whole weight on the second leg quite a bit earlier than the first one.   Not sure if that was a physical difference, or a mental one!  On the other hand, I have had (and still have) a little more soreness with the second hip, which I did not expect.  Your experience with your second hip will probably be a little different from the first one too.

Even though I knew what to expect the second time, I was still quite nervous.  However, the first time I was able to go for a little walk after getting off the pain killers (about 6 days after the surgery) I was very happy I had it done.  Being able to walk without that awful bone-on-bone pain in either hip was heaven!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

mikebaker

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
Thanks everyone, you are the best!! I am a bit apprehensive about this one because I know so much more and what can go wrong. I am accountant by trade and therefore spend too much time looking in the rear view mirror at times. I definitely want the spinal to go a bit smoother this time and want to be more "out of it" during the surgery, I heard everything last time!! I like the idea of practicing with the crutches. I have been doing stairs now with my operated leg first going up and it is doing really well and I think that the next surgery will accelerate my rehab on my operated side. I am mentally ready. I live in Canada and therefore the snow is also going to be an issue but I will go to our local mall or the indoor track for some practice as necessary. Fast forward to next summer I should be a new man!! Any more advice please keep it coming and thanks again everyone this website has touched a number of us and thanks again Pat, the other moderators and of course all you die hards for all you have done. Soon to be "Iron or better yet Cobalt/Chromium Mike".   
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
Mike, as (also) Mike mentioned  ;D, even if you have a completely different type of recovery, in the end it still leads to you recovering and getting your life back fully.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
Well Put!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM