+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Think it's a good idea to change a tire 2 weeks post op???  (Read 1912 times)

PistolPete

Think it's a good idea to change a tire 2 weeks post op???
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Lucky for me I had to do this.  I was on the highway going to teach my Martial Arts class and guess what???  I get a flat tire.  I pull over not really  knowing what I was going to do.  With cars screaming by at 80 mph I got to change this tire.  Took forever and I'm paying for it now.  Not really sure how I did it but I'm def. in pain now.  The worst part is I still have to teach my class as I couldn't get anyone to cover for me.  Gonna be a long night.

Woodstock Hippy

Re: Think it's a good idea to change a tire 2 weeks post op???
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Good for you!  It sure beats walking home.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
Think it's a good idea to change a tire 2 weeks post op???

Only if it's flat.

Sorry...couldn't help myself.
 ;)
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Glad it worked out but, NO!  It's not a good idea, your hip is still healing and you risk a dislocation and or broken femoral neck if you are not careful.

Now is the time to protect your hip.  Call for help when needed, you do not want to cause yourself a revision.

Chuck

Lucky for me I had to do this.  I was on the highway going to teach my Martial Arts class and guess what???  I get a flat tire.  I pull over not really  knowing what I was going to do.  With cars screaming by at 80 mph I got to change this tire.  Took forever and I'm paying for it now.  Not really sure how I did it but I'm def. in pain now.  The worst part is I still have to teach my class as I couldn't get anyone to cover for me.  Gonna be a long night.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »
Listen to Chuck!  This was not smart - I really hope you did not do any serious damage by changing that tire!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

moe

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »
Paging Pat, you need a new topic. "Really dumb things patients do while still healing"
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »
Agreed. Include the snow shoveling post as well.
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »
Hi Moe

I think the people that do "really dumb things" realize it very quickly!!!!  Anyone that had major surgery and wants to do heavy work any time within the first 6 weeks are going to pay a big price - including a revision due to femur neck fractures or component movement.  No matter how much you warn people, they just can't understand the impact such major surgery has on their bodies.  You can't force your body to heal or be strong after it has been sliced and diced.  I would caution people to be careful even beyond the 6 weeks up to 6 months.  Why go thru such a recovery from major surgery and then take a chance on having a revision.  Makes no sense, but neither do the actions of many people.

EVERYONE - THINK BEFORE ACTING.   Get help when you are faced with any problem that means you need to exert your new hip or have to lift a lot of weight.  Fixing a flat tire is not as important as going thru another surgery for a revision because you fractured your femur neck!   THINK first.  There is nothing more important than your own health if you want to continue to be active and be there for your family.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luanna

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »
Great warning Pat.

I'm at 12 weeks and overdid shopping at the mall with my gal friends. Started at 10 in the morning and walked out of the mall and it was almost dark. Paying for it for 3 days now but getting better. Sure scared the heck out of me.

No changing tires and no "shop til you drop" escapades either!!! Didn't realize that walking around and shopping on concrete could be so hard on the body.  Not to mention the wallet!!!   :)

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

PistolPete

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
I agree it was stupid but I didn't have many options.  I should have called AAA but didn't.  I'm paying for it today though as I've been sleeping for most of the day and just very sore.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »
Half the stuff I tell folks about are really dumb things I've done, that's whay I'm here, preaching about dumb stuff.   Like the 7 mile death march from Salt Lake Airport to downtown and back at 4 weeks.  I had what felt like a labral tear for about 3 weeks after that.  I was a little worried, eventhough I know that the labrum wasn't there.  I damaged some other soft tissue.  Also, I drove an F350 at 1.5 weeks with the brakes totally going out on the hwy and I had to use my freshly operated leg and hand to push the brakes that didn't even work.  Pistol - if you don't have AAA get yourself some towing insurance.

I'm with Chuck and Pat, get help.  Although I didn't really walk the talk previously.  I've learned something today though,  "Thou shalt not ever shop at 10 weeks".   ;)     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal