+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Experienced revision surgeon wanted - how do I find one?  (Read 6050 times)

lars

Experienced revision surgeon wanted - how do I find one?
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
Question: can anyone recommend a surgeon with adequate experience doing revisions on a resurfacing? What special considerations are there? Is there a directory with stats about experience with revisions like there is for resurfacing?

I had a resurfacing in 2005 (Cormet) and have had 6 good years with it. I injured it recently and am now in extreme pain with motion and cannot bear any weight at all on it. It feels a little loose. My local doc took xrays and says the cup is not in the right place. He wants to do a revision to a classic THR. He is not keen on resurfacing and seemed a little bent out of shape that I went out of state for the original procedure in 2005. I am 59 years old and have been very active until the recent injury, which has me completely laid up.

I personally think that my femur might have become disconnected from the ball. I've read that it may be possible to preserve the cup and replace just the femur cap if this is the case... how do I know if this is worth considering? How do I find the right surgeon to help me? I am in desperate pain and need help fast. My original surgeon retired.

Many thanks for your help!

JMS

Re: Experienced revision surgeon wanted - how do I find one?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:33:11 PM »
Very sorry to hear your news. You may want to begin by telling people which city you live in, to seek recommendations. Typically it seems in each city there is one surgeon who fixes the problem cases. 

If you are willing to travel, Dr Pritchett is an experienced surgeon who has published accounts of his experiences with revision.  In the UK Treacy or McMinn have plenty of experience

You suggest that the surgeon might save the acetabular component and replace the femoral cap, but usually in these revisions, the opposite is true. They save the femoral component which has typically grown solidly attached to the femur, and change the acetabular cup.  I have not read of any cases where the reverse is true.  Doesn't mean it isn't possible, of course.
Good luck with your revision surgery

Best of luck with your revision process.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:34:45 PM by JMS »

lars

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:15:15 AM »
Thank you for the reply, JMS. I live in Pierre, South Dakota, USA, and I am willing to travel, though I'd like to stay as close to home as possible.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:20:30 AM by lars »

JMS

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
Dr Pritchett is in Seattle - he is the closest one I know.  Can anyone else recommend someone closer?

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
I know I'm a bit late on this, but I agree with JMS in that Pritchett has a lot of experience with revisions as well as various components.  Although, I would expect that Su, Gross, Amstutz, Schmalzired, Brooks, Mont and probably a couple others in the US, that I've forgotten about would also be good choices too. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
September 21, 2020, 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal