+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Things to think about before planning bilateral surgery  (Read 3883 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Things to think about before planning bilateral surgery
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:36:31 AM »
I'm worried that some people will read what an easy time I've had going bilateral both at once and get the idea that this is easy.  I might have made it appear that way but it's not.  Here are a few things to think about:

1.  Most doctors won't do both hips together so don't plan on it.

2.  There is a significantly higher pain level.  I had very good pain management in the hospital and I have a very high pain threshold, but I don't think everyone should go through it.

3.  You will only have one sleeping position.  It's very hard to sleep all night when you can't roll to either side.
4.  You literately won't have a leg to stand on.  Every time you go into you go into or out of a chair or the bed or toilet you will only have your arms to to lift or lower your weight.  Make sure you can handle that.

I just think that my posts below might give the wrong idea that that a bilateral surgery is easy.  It's not and you should really think about and be sure that you are prepared before you plunge right in.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Things to think about before planning bilateral surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »
Great post.  Thank You for taking time to share your thoughts.  I think we all look at things differently.  When some of us say we had an easy recovery, it was easier than others, but still had the same problems but perhaps without less pain or different attitude.  We need to expect restrictions and healing pains and even some surprises - but when we understand what our bodies have gone thru and are healing, it eases our worries.  To me not sleeping well, moving around on a crutch, being stiff and not having much stamina in the beginning was just a bump in the road to recovery.  I was thinking more about how great the recovery will be.  Others seem to be more affected by such things and worry and feel angry they have to go thru such a situation.  A lot depends on your attitude and outlook. 

Knowing what to expect really helps you plan for your recovery.  Things may feel very bad at times during your recovery, but you will heal and months later, you will hardly think about it.  I know that for sure since I have had a hip replacement and an aortic valve replacement thru open heart surgery.  Attitude makes a huge difference.  If you can't seem to change to a positive attitude, there are some great Cd's that help you program your mind to a successful surgery and positive recovery.

Thanks again for sharing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Two4One

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »
Hi Pat,

My email buddy is having tons of anxiety, stress, and more in addition to her hip pain.  She is having a hard time of it while waiting on what the doctors definitively say is the remedy(s) for her myriad health issues.  Do you have CD titles you can share that I can pass along to her?

Thanks.
Two4One
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
Here are a few.  I used several before my open heart surgery and they helped.  I got nervous thinking I would lay for 6 hours with my lungs collapsed and my heart stopped relying on a heart lung machine. 

http://www.healthjourneys.com/product_detail.aspx?id=29

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Journeys-Meditation-Promote-Successful/dp/1881405346][url]http://www.amazon.com/Health-Journeys-Meditation-Promote-Successful/dp/1881405346[/url]

http://www.imadulation.com/Prep-for-surgery.htm

If you do a google search for cds for successful surgery and search Amazon, you can find them.  Some hospitals like the Cleveland Clinic give you their own prepared CD to listen to.  They ask you put it on just before surgery and keep it on thru surgery.  I guess they feel the subconscious still hears the cd.  I did not do that because I had listened to them for a month before surgery.

The cd's really help you to relax and stop worrying.  At least for many people they work.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Two4One

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
The title of this post got me thinking - it must be a challenge for anyone to keep a good frame of mind when you are immobilized by end stage, bone on bone hip osteoarthritis.  All your previous coping mechanisms are seemingly gone, like taking a relaxing walk or unwinding with a gentle yoga practice.  Like everyone here dealing with severe pain pre hip resurfacing, it can at times feel helpless, but I've come to believe that my mind and spirit does have some choice on what I can think about and focus on before hip resurfacing surgery.

Things to think about before planning bilateral surgery:  Here's a few things I do that help me.

- Journal a daily gratitude along with my pain diary and med schedule
- Watch uplifting movies and TV content & when I'm able to read choose positive stories
- Reach out to others offering and accepting help
- Listen to meditations on my MP3 every night as I'm falling asleep
- Keep my mind occupied with uplifting plans and activities for my future healthy hips
- Accept that pain keeps me awake, but I choose what I do & think in the long nights

I just bought a 99 cent MP3 download from amazon.com "For Your Surgery: Before, During and After" By: Ph.D. Stephanie R. Carter that I'm really looking forward to listening to tonight.  It was my favorite download sample after listening to several that the search term 'surgery' pulled up on amazon, and thanks, Pat, for suggesting listening to guided imagery!

Does anyone have any other things they have done that helped them before they got their hip resurfacing?
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
For me I just kept thinking about how much better life is gonna be after this surgery. I mean I was a living, limping wreck, enduring 24/7 pain. I was thinking even if I can't live my active sport lifestyle ever again but if I am able to just live and walk pain free then my quality of life would be 100% better. So even though I was nervous prior to surgery I just kept thinking life will be much better in just a couple months. So attitude is a huge part of it.Positive positive positive. Having gone thru a same day bi-lat just over 3 yrs ago I totally agree with Woodstock that having a strong upper body helps so much. BTW not to brag but to inspire others, I have since returned to a very active sports lifestyle and couldn't be happier about it. Good luck to all in the future with your surgeries and recoveries.
Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
Wayne -O,

Please keep bragging about your successful, active lifestyle. We New Hippys and soon to be Hippys love hearing about what the future holds for us once we complete the hard work of recovery. We need tomhearbstories like your more than anything else. Please stay posted.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz