+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: walking  (Read 1649 times)

osubucks

walking
« on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
I'm 9 days post op, when should I expect to make the change from a walker to a cane?I walked around the house
this morning and it felt pretty good.Also how long did most people use the cane before they ditched it totally?
thanks

hernanu

Re: walking
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
I didn't use a cane, but did use one crutch. I used the one crutch for one week or two before getting rid of it altogether. I think it depends on every person, but for me that's when I stopped. There's no schedule or right or wrong to it, though - just use it until you don't need it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

JMS

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:43 AM »
I think most people go from a walker to crutches, rather than straight to the cane, but I suppose it depends on what your weight bearing restrictions are, if any.  I found a single crutch was significantly more helpful than a cane in the early days.
As to getting rid of it, I think typically you find that you have weaned yourself off it at home first.  You put it down and forget to pick it up again.  Then when you are out, you find yourself carrying it rather than using it, so you stop bothering to carry it.  But even then there will be the odd day, when it comes in useful - either you are facing crowds, and the cane is useful to keep yourself from being jostled, or you just face a lot of walking on rough ground, when you will find yourself glad to have it handy. 

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
I went pretty quickly to one crutch after I returned home.  I took two crutches when I went out and walked longer distances.  It seems like I was able to use one crutch outside after about two weeks.  Then I moved to the cane for about four more weeks.

I did move to the cane too quickly and went back to the crutch.  It didn't provide the stability and I was worried I would reinforce bad habits.

You can glance through my blog if you want more information.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

sdunn4

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
I used two crutches for about 1 week, 1 crutch for several days after that, a cane for about 1 1/2 weeks, then stopped using the cane altogether just before 4 weeks post-op.  In the middle of the night and first thing in the morning, the cane came in handy for a few days after I stopped using it.  I believe JMS put it right- "one day you forget where you left the cane".  There's no sense rushing the whole thing, it just seems to happen!

Good Luck with the recovery.

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

Ernie

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
I was full weight bearing from the beginning so I was able to progress pretty quickly.  I used a walker for the first 5 days.  Then a cane until day 11.  Drove to work on day 12.  I'm hoping that my next hip recovery will be as quick.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

PistolPete

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »
I only used the walker once and that was in the hospital.  I was then on 2 crutches for about a week and a half and then switched to 1 crutch.  A little over 2 weeks post surgery I switched to the cane for most of the day and typically switch back to one crutch at night.  Tomorrow marks week 3 post op so I'm thinking I'll be on the cane for 1 to 2 more weeks.  I want to make sure things progress as they should and if I need to switch back to the crutches or cane I will certainly do this.

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
I was straight onto crutches 5 hours post op - no walker frame. At home now 5 days post op and can get around house on one crutch but using two crutches until no pain, no limp and I'm putting full weight on operated leg - as per Physio's instruction. You can then reduce to one crutch on unoperated side. When comfortable, you can walk with no crutches.
They are some of my Physio's notes for me.
Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
Its about what I had, Simon, it worked pretty well for me.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

osubucks

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »
thanks everyone

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz