+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Putting on Your Socks / Tying Your Shoes  (Read 4444 times)

sdunn4

Putting on Your Socks / Tying Your Shoes
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »
I have been very careful in attempting anything that may violate the "90 Degree Rule", and putting on socks / tying shoes gets really close to violating the rule.  I am one day shy of 5 weeks post-op, and I have been doing some very gradual stretching along with lots of walking and doing my "phase 1" exercises (some phase 2 exercises in a very minimal sense as well).  Anyway, today everything felt great and I was able to get my sock on the operated foot for the first time in 5 weeks!  I never thought I would be celebrating such an occasion!  I was just wondering; How long did others on the forum take to put on socks / tie their shoes?

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

PistolPete

Re: Putting on Your Socks / Tying Your Shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »
Congrats Steve that's a huge milestone.  Tomorrow is my 3rd week post op and I can with effort put my socks and shoes on.  I haven't tried tying my shoes yet as I have elastic laces but I also have zero restrictions and no limits on the 90 degree bend or anything.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I was at about four weeks, Steve. Glad you got over that hump, it's a noticeable one for all of us.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
I too have no restrictions and I'll be 3 weeks post op on Thursday. As things stand now I can no where near manage it mainly due to my hip flexers are like iron! I'm trying to gently stretch them but as of yet to see any real improvement but it's early days yet!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »
I am 5th day post op & have no 90 degree restrictions. I managed to get one sock on my unoperated side this morning (with no assistance) and half on (up to heel) with my sock puller on operated side. My 6 year old had to complete that one as sock puller was slipping. Will be slipping on my shoes with elastic pull up laces today to go for my daily walk.
NB: I have long arms which I think helps. Also I did a lot of pre op stretches & strengthening on the side to be operated on which I also think is helping. I should probably take it easy though as I have a tendancy to over doing it - it's been years since I could put on my shoes & socks comfortably - what's a few more weeks!
Congrats on your milestone Steve - great work:)     
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Nice job Steve, small steps, but actually large, feel great.

Kiwi - that's what the kids are for, putting socks on their parent's feet.  My teenage boys were totally embarrased to do that.

I think I was at about 3 months on both hips before I could get the toes in a sock without forcing it.  I think my ROM in that direction was just really bad.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jjmclain

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
Hi Steve,

I think it was at the 5 week mark for me as well. I had the 90 degree restriction until 4 weeks post-op; otherwise, I think I would have been able to do it sooner. The restriction leaves you very tight and it took me a week to get back that range of motion once the restriction was lifted.

June

JMS

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
After the first surgery I was trying to put the sock on bending forward, which was nearly impossible with the 90 degree restriction.  With the second surgery, I had realized that i could do better  bringing my foot behind me.  I would lie on my side, bend my knee and reach behind to the foot. So much easier!

mslendzion

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
Could you put your socks on before the surgery?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
Just put my socks on 18 days after bilateral surgery.  The left was a piece of cake, the right a little harder since I have a unhappy muscle after straining everything this week.  I keep my old running shoes so loose that I won't have to worry about tying them for a while.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

sdunn4

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »
Woodstock,

That's great progress, getting the socks on so soon after bilateral surgery!  In some ways I pushed a little too much, but in others I was on the conservative side.  For example, I probably walked too much early on, but I was a little conservative with the 90- degree rule and was a little later than most with the socks and shoes.  On the bright side, I did get on my triathlon bike yeaterday for 15 minutes on the trainer.  It felt great to finally break a sweat, and clipping in / out was no problem, as long as I was "toe out" when unclipping.  The benefit of waiting until almost 6 weeks to do this is that I had absolutely no pain and great ROM; the knee is now straight up and down instead of splayed out to the side like it has been for the past few years!

Good luck for a continued smooth recovery!

Steve

RJKELLY

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:01:14 AM »
Just curious about the "90 degree restriction" requirements after hip resurfacing.  My surgeon never issued such a warning and encouraged me to slowly work to a full range as I see fit.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
RJ-

Apparently there is concern about dislocation of the hip if someone having the posterior approach HR bends too far.  It has to do with which muscles and especially what part of the hip capsule is compromised.

I have read where dislocations with large ball HR is very very rare.  Still some surgeons want to be very safe.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

sdunn4

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
I think Dan is correct; Dr. Gross seems very conservative in some respects, but not in others.  He did not want any bending to an angle of less than 90 degrees until 6 weeks was up.  I am not sure this is unique to the posterior approach (which he uses), or just a conservative step to ensure no dislocations.

In any event, like most other steps in this recovery, I do not even think of it now when putting on socks- each step seems like a big one at the time, but progress is happening daily!  If I have learned anything, it is to follow the doctor's orders and take it slow.  No sense in jeopardizing the new parts for something foolish!

Steve

mslendzion

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 08:42:22 PM »
Today, 2 months out post op, I put on my sock!   The first time unassisted in 6 months.  Live is good in America!   :)

midiowa

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »
3 1/2 weeks post op, no restrictions able today to get sock on took little effort but made it , need work but its coming along,  couldn't put on or tie shoes before so its a improvement already!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 06:59:37 AM »
Funny this thread just popped back up.  This morning I put on both socks standing for the first time.  I'm almost at 16 weeks and everything is going unbelievably great!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

mslendzion

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
It's the little things isn't it.

hipnhop

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
I am at 5 weeks and still struggle to put on my socks.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

zeke

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
I'm going into my 7th week of recovery, I could put my socks and shoes on if I needed to...my doctor has me no bending 90 degrees, cant cross my legs or ankles, or twist for 3 months, until sometime at the end of April. I'm going on vacation at the end of April so I'm hoping the restrictions are all gone by then. I have noticed the stronger I get and the more I move around these rules attend to get broken.

sounds like everyone is doing great, keep up the good work...  ;D

Zeke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat