+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sitting Pain  (Read 2322 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Sitting Pain
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »
I'm nearly 8 weeks out from a LBHR with Dr. Brooks at CCF.  Off crutches for almost 2 weeks now, and religiously following the at-home exercises every day (3 sets, 30 reps each set). 

I am having no pain laying down at all, and aside from pain/stiffness when first getting up from a seated position, I'm not having lots of unexpected pain while walking, and the pain is less in the morning, but increases somewhat throughout the day.  Limp is mostly gone, most notably early in the day, and I'm doing a special exercise to address that.

Most of the annoying pain at this point seems to be from sitting, and it occurs while sitting anywhere (car, couch, home desk chair, work desk chair, etc); it occurs towards the backside area, about 3/4th's of the way around from the front of my operated leg, and behind the incision by about 4 inches or something, but not as far back as in the middle of the buttock on that side.  I have tried a memory foam seat cushion, and that does not seem to impact it one way or another, and sitting on different pieces of furniture.  Almost feels like I'm sitting on something.  When this occurs, not surprisingly the limp is worse when I get up.

Anyone experience this one, and if so any hints of alleviating it?  How long does this stage last?

As always many thanks in advance for anything you may be able to share on this.

Dab
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

Re: Sitting Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »
I had discomfort from sitting for about 3 months, usually from a long time sitting or driving. It's one of the reasons I used ice under my buttock(s) until I no longer had much of an issue.

Towards the end, I usually noticed it when I sat at a bar stool or something hard. It went away completely about four or five months, but I noticed it until that point. Ice was my friend all the way through. Driving especially, I just put my thin ice pad under me at the beginning of a two hour drive and got relief from most of it, even though it melted after 1/2 hour or so.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »
Hernau;

Wow, really good to know.  Although I've read many posts here, and a number of yours, did not realize I should expect that.  It is great that it is not just me.

Thanks again

Dan

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »
Thought I'd mentioned it, but...  :o

Anyways, I did mention that I went on a jazz marathon a couple of weeks ago, and wound up listening to one artist for about 2 hours, then over to another club to listen to another for about an hour and a half, driving about an hour to and from. I sat still for that long, with driving and was really pleased that I could sit comfortably and not even think about the hips for that long.

It goes away, I think it's just the muscles getting stronger, your ROM returning and maybe some atrophied muscles finally being allowed to do their job.

panelpe

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
I'm 7 weeks out and have symptoms identical to yours, it especially makes driving long distances difficult.  I haven't come up with any quick fixes but try to just move the hip as much as I can and flexing the thigh muscles helps a little.  Good to know its just a part of the healing process and should resolve

Shelly

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 11:27:40 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced with Dr. Brooks 6 months ago and I too still "have a pain in my butt!". Standing or walking seems to be the only thing to relieve the discomfort.  I guess I am lucky that I don't have to drive long distances or if I sit I can get up and move around.  I was just hoping that time will take care of this problem.   

Dan L

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:48:24 AM »
Still here for sure as well, seats with a side angled upwards, for example a car seat, seem to be worse.  Angle at which I sit also seems to influence it.  Youself, Hern and others sharing this is expected is a great help.  I sure hope it does not last 6 months though!

My limp is about completely gone now almost 9 weeks out, except when standing up with associated stiffness after sitting for a time when this outside side butt pain is present.  Odd sensation, almost like I'm partially sitting on something in my back pocket, like 1/2 of a golf ball or something. 

Dan

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
I think one thing that helped me was using my ice pad quite a bit when I was sitting, even on the couch, or in the car.

I did have to move around when things got uncomfortable, and made sure I stopped at several rest stops on the way while driving, mainly to get a little walk in to loosen things up.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat