+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: DR. FERRO IS AWESOME !! Although BAD news for me :((  (Read 1998 times)

manyworries

DR. FERRO IS AWESOME !! Although BAD news for me :((
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »

Dr. Ferro is without a doubt the nicest, most compassionate Doctor I have ever met in my life and that includes at least 100 !! :))  I got his latest stats in BHR and he has done about 150 to date with zero complications or revisions.  I wouldn't let that from discourage you from considering him however due to the low numbers, he is extremely selective on who he finds a suitable candidate for BHR. 

However, the BAD news is, I am not a candidate.  I have some good bone, but I do have osteopenia presently and have had a really bad time with sensitivities to metals (even had to have all my mercury fillings removed.)  I can't even be in the same room with anyone wearing perfume.  If I put on cheap jewelry, I have to remove it within minutes.  He also asked my if I have had any sensitivities to deodorant, which I have.  All these conditions lead him and even ME now to believe that I am NOT a suitable candidate for HR :((  I don't want to have problems, I really don't want to have the neck break off due to my inferior bones, I really know he was looking out for ME, without a doubt.  He's highly qualified and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM to anyone that is not to caught up in "the numbers!" If I was a candidate I would have booked it today, I have nothing but respect and confidence in wonderful Dr. Ferro !!

Through my tears, Dr. Ferro almost agreed to "try" it because I had my heart set on this procedure.  He was so sweet, I thought he was going to cry too <3  NEVER have I met a more compassionate Dr.

We have decided to wait for awhile.  Much of my pain is coming from my spine and almost all of my sciatica is attributed to this too.  I have TONS of groin pain, but it's not to the point where I can't live with it (I wasn't saying that last week tho!)  If I can get some good injections that will buy me some time and work on getting my spinal cord condition taken care of, perhaps I can live like this for quite awhile. He ordered MRI's of my spine, even though this is not his area of expertise, I have NO PRIMARY and he didn't want to leave me like this.  I will be seeing him again soon to go over the MRIs and hopefully get into one of the top neurosurgeons (with a little help from my beloved Dr. Ferro!)

Of course he went over all the options I have for a Total Hip Replacement.  His recommendation for ME was the larger ceramic ball and I didn't even hear what the rest of it was made of, plastic of some sort.  Just was too upset to really listen as I had already ruled out a THR quite awhile back.

So this is my update for today.  In case anyone missed my post from yesterday, I need TWO hips as I am bone on bone on my left and almost there on my right side too.  He thought my range of motion was pretty good for someone with these hips.  I can walk unassisted, but once in awhile I need help but have not resorted to a cane.

I hope some of this info helps someone.  You have all been SOO kind and generous in sharing your stories, both good and bad, which has helped me tremendously!!   Bless you all :)

Elle

rbt2011

Re: DR. FERRO IS AWESOME !! Although BAD news for me :((
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
Many,
I am really sorry to hear that.  Not sure what to say other than don't discouraged.

God Bless.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:01:53 AM »
Elle,
      Even though you have a rapor with the doc I would seek another opinion. I know he may have good stats for tge 150 hr's he's done. But still it's not that many. If metal allergy is a problem along with osteonapena then the bmhr may be a good alternatives that can be ceramic. I'm sorry to hear your news.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »
Many,  it looks like you have a lot of homework to do.  Start out looking two pages down on the Hip Resurfacing Products page to see what you find.  I think I saw on there that Birmingham has a ceramic on ceramic resurfacing device in the pipeline.  One of my previous doctors suggested an all ceramic THR and told me that his patients have had success with them.  So there are options for you.

You just have to get out there and dig, baby, dig!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:27:47 AM »
Smith and nephew have a ceramic hr in the pipeline as do finsbury. I doubt they will be available in the states anytime soon tho cos of your FDA.
I would get a second opinion as well and also look at other devices like the bmhr as this can be ceramic on metal or mom.
What ever you choose good luck and we will all support you!
Danny   
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
Hi Elle, I also think you should get some more opinions. It's not a reflection on Dr. Ferro, who sounds outstanding, but there are surgeons who are more experienced and may have a different opinion on what can be accomplished.

My advice would be to get in touch with Pat or to directly talk to Dr. Gross, and/or one of the other surgeons who provide a free review of your XRays to see what they think of your hips. That way, if all opinions come back supporting a THR, you can go into it with a clean mind; otherwise, it may give you a chance at an HR with an approach that gives you the best chance of success.

I would check out all the possible options to make sure you have the best procedure possible.

Here are some posts with people who had osteopenia but still were able to have an HR.

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1531.0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:59:49 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
Yes hern very good point. When I was having my battle with our nhs surgeons I emailed my xrays to dr's Bose, gross and de smet, all gave me there opinions and they were all starkly different to what my nhs surgeons were saying.
It was funny when I went back to my gp who was siding with his idiot mate then I presented him with 3 of the top 5 surgeons opinions all saying tge same thing.
Also bear in mind that all the video interviews from the top doc's and they all seem to say that the learning cure with hr doesn't flatten off until around a 1000 or so.
Danny 
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
Many - Sorry to hear that.  I would focus on the bone issue more than the allergy/sensitivity issue.  The vast majority of the Metal on Metal problems are associated with poor placement of the device.  However, there are a few folks here that have optimum angles but also have some elevated metals.  I think it's too easy to blame the MoM issues on metal allergies or sensitivity to particular metals, when there is very little information supporting Co or Cr sensivities in the joint.  The CoCrMo alloy should essentially be benign with regards to surrounding tissue.  It isn't until there is enough wear debris (usually poor placement) to cause localized irritation and inflammation to then create a problem around the joint. 

Like others said, get another opinion or 2 or 3 from some of the really experienced surgeons.  They ought to be able to hone in on the bone problems and figure out a good solution for you.  Or at least give you more confidence in Ferro's original diagnosis.  Good Luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

manyworries

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:26:51 AM »
Thank all of you tons for your continued support and much appreciated words of wisdom.  Will post a bit more tomorrow.  The pain last night nearly killed me.  I am so exhausted all the time.  I'm going to go see a neurosurgeon next as I might get some much needed relief by cleaning out the stenosis surrounding L4/5.  Just found out that most of my sciatica pain can be attributed to this.  I might be able to live with the groin pain until the ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing starts being utilized here in the states.

Blessing to all of you and especially Pat... this site is AMAZING :))  XO

manyworries

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
How did you guys e-mail your Xrays?  I am a tech moron.  I have MRIs too, do those need to be reviewed?  Would the place that I had these tests done supply them to me?  I don't really have a Dr. yet.  I just went on one consult this week.  3 years ago I wasn't bone-on-bone and the ortho at that time told me to wait as long as possible to have hip surgery as I was considered young (at that time 52) He said this is a surgery you can only do "once in a lifetime" and don't get it to soon?!!  He didn't give me any advice or forewarning as to how to prevent my hips from becoming so bad, so quickly.... total opposite from the ortho I just saw.  Thank God for Yelp, Angie's List and SurfaceHippy.  Got to keep track of these kinds of Dr's too :((

Elle

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »
Pat has directions on converting the format (if you need to) here:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/xrayconversion.php

I would think an MRI would be good to send if you have one, but I don't know if that is one of the things you can send on this (Pat????).

You're still young, but I had mine done at 53, and now at 54, both are done and I am living the high hippy life  8) . I hope to only do it once, but if I need a THR in a couple of decades, it will be fine, since I plan to live well on my Cormets until that point.

I haven't seen any of these wear out because of use, we probably don't have enough years of data, but we do have 10 years in the Australian registries, and they haven't seen any break down due to use yet. SO --- I plan on taking these with me (I found the one expensive thing I can take with me).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal