+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery Dec. 20 w/ Dr. Brooks and Scared to Death  (Read 3295 times)

juliaholly

Surgery Dec. 20 w/ Dr. Brooks and Scared to Death
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Pat, I am new here and scheduled for BHR with Dr. Brooks on December 20. Thank you for your suggestion to Dan to post separately about his experience with Dr. Brooks. I'd love to hear more about the total surgical experience with him.

And, to the original post, I'm also a marathon runner. I know Dr. Brooks says I shouldn't run for a year, which pains me - but I also know if I don't get the surgery now, I probably won't stop running  until the pain becomes completely unbearable, I've worn bone down, and I'm no longer a candidate for BHR. Besides, having torn my labrum and developed traumatic OAI, even if I'm tough enough to run through some pain, the condition has slowed my race times.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:09:11 PM by Pat Walter »
Left BHR, Dr. Brooks, Dec. 20, 2011

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgery Dec. 20 w/ Dr. Brooks and Scared to Death
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:12:23 PM »
Hi Julia

I gave you your own topic to introduce yourself.  Welcome to Hip Talk.  Dr. Brooks is a really experienced hip resurfacing surgeon and a really nice guy.  You will do fine with him.  Did you see the interviews I have done with him?  http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videosdoctor.php  He does a great job explaining the advantages of hip resurfacing.

Please be conservative during your recovery.  I year without hard running will give you the opportunity to run for the rest of your life.  You can be very active after 6 months, but just take it easy with the real running.

I look forward to hearing about your surgery and recovery.  I will wait for photos of you running on your one year anniversary!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
Julia-

Don't be scared to death because that is not a good alternative.  ;)

I was nervous before my surgery too.  You already realize that it is not going to get better and will only get worse.  You have found HR which is the best alternative.  You have found a very qualified and experienced surgeon who is using one of the best implants.  What else can you control?

Now just get in the best shape you can prior to surgery.  Get the necessary accessories to use during recovery.  Gather those projects and activities you want to do.  And find the most comfortable places in the house to recline.

It wasn't nearly as tough on the recovery as I thought.  And the time is flying by until I can run again.

It will be the best Christmas present you have ever gotten for yourself. 

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »
Julia -

Here's a post that I made back in May of this year (in Hip Resurfacing Topics / Re: Not ready for surgery yet...Comments/Stories welcome about life before your BHR):

"I think that you will feel very comfortable and confident with Dr. Brooks.  He seems to be very much a student of the science of resurfacing.  I assume that you have watched his two video interviews on this website; if not, you should.  Dr. Brooks performed my LBHR last October, and I am very pleased with the results.  I never experienced any pain postsurgery: in the hospital, the nurses would ask periodically throughout the day what my pain level was, on a scale of 1 to 10, and I don't recall ever getting above a 2.  I stopped taking percocet (or whatever the prescription pain reliever was) after less than a day, and used only Tylenol thereafter.  Likewise at home, although I did have some aching in my thighs at night for a while (I'm not sure what that was).  There were no Lovenox (anticlotting) injections; instead, aspirin for several weeks and pneumatic compression devices on the lower legs for 2 weeks (which give a lower leg massage on each leg about once every two minutes --- actually feels rather nice!).  No catheter.  All in all, I have rather fond memories of my 3 nights at Euclid Hospital: virtually no pain, tv with remote, "room service" (the food was really pretty good  , wireless internet, room with a view overlooking Lake Erie, friendly and helpful staff.  What more could a guy want??  From my x-ray, the acetabular cup appears to be very much within the proper angle; Dr. Books told me the day after surgery that it is "perfect".

"Be aware that Dr. Brooks has one of the more conservative postsurgery protocols: six weeks on 2 crutches, then no impact sports for a year.    But that is absolutely fine, as far as I am concerned; I'd rather be a little too conservative than run the risks attendant to being too aggressive.  I think Mr. McMinn also recommends no impact sports for the first year, and you can't argue with his results!

(From your post, I gather that you are already aware of Dr. Brooks' conservative postsurgery protocol.)

I had my one-year follow-up last month, and was given the green light to return to all activities.  So, I've played tennis several times, and although I'm not yet back to my presurgery game, it is going well and there is no pain whatsoever in my hip!

Much success to you!
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Biscuit

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
Hey, Julia.  Please, do not be scared!  You can be nervous, you can be anxious (some! :) ), but don't be scared.

My husband is scheduled for surgery with Dr. Brooks one month after you.  He's nervous, too, and he was a serious runner up until the OA made that impossible.  He hasn't been able to run in a couple of years, and he's really depressed about it.  So it sounds like you two are in the same boat - and you both have the same doctor! 

If it makes you feel any better, we did a LOT of research on this procedure (since before it was even approved in the US), and on Dr. Brooks, and I know we - and you - are doing the right thing.  You are a very active person, and your quality of life has been severely compromised - you have to do something about it.  Hip resurfacing offers an opportunity to get back to the life you had and the activities you love.  A little pain + a year of patience = lots and lots of reward.

Please make sure you post about your experience pre and post op! Your thoughts and observations will be really helpful.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:32:07 PM by Biscuit »

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:38:46 AM »
Julia,  I remember one of my first posts here, saying how nervous I was two weeks before surgery. Not sure if I was afraid of the surgery or if I wouldn't be "better" after the surgery.   Well everything went as planned, and I am in the middle of my recovery phase, 20 days post op.  Every day feels better than the day before, and I was never in real pain after surgery.  The leg muscles are getting stronger and  started PT this week.  It feels great to be back at the gym, if even doing light weights.  Spoke with the PT and told him my short term and long term goals, he thought that these goals were realistic, which include playing hockey and skiing by next Dec. This is the right place to ask questions, there are so many others here who have been through it. It really helped me  to read these stories.  Good luck with the surgery and keep moving forward.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

Biscuit

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
 :D  Cantab, that's one of my husband's goals too - to play hockey in his high school's yearly Alumni game the year after surgery with our neice and nephew.  He'll be 50.  I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
I was really anxious and scared on both.  Weird huh, you'd think after one you'd be less anxious about the second.   All I can say is that you should focus on the other side and think about how happy you'll be.  I'm much happier now, so much better.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Luann

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
Hang in there, Julia, we hippies have all been there (read some of my past posts!). It is human nature! Be more scared of what might happen to your life if these hip surgery options didn't exist!! Yikes for real!  Good Luck, we will be here for you! Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

manyworries

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 01:26:33 AM »
Julia, don't worry and DON'T WAIT!!  My whole body is destroyed now, don't wait seriously.  You will get back to life as usual before you know it.  Count your blessings you are a candidate and ALREADY scheduled.... you'll be so glad you did it.  Can't wait to hear all about your surgery and recovery!  It's athletes like you that seem to bounce right back...

Elle

juliaholly

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 03:34:01 PM »
Thank you all very much for the responses. How long did Dr. Brooks say to wait before driving? And did he prescribe physical therapy? I can ask his PA, but it's nice to hear from people who have gone through it.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
I don't know what Brooks says about driving, but I believe most docs will recommend at least 2 weeks without driving.  That was about right for both of mine.  Even at 2 weeks, though, it was a little questionable.  If the leg lifter doesn't feel strong enough to quickly get the foot to the right peddle, I'd wait.  Better to be safe than sorry.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »
Forgot to answer your other questions

6 weeks no driving
home exercises 3x per day, 30 reps each session
2 crutches, 75% weight bearing on operated leg for 6 weeks

Thx
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Biscuit

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
Julia -

Dr. Brooks told us 6 weeks no driving (perhaps a bit longer for - we have standard transmissions in both cars), crutches and only 75% weight-bearing for 6 weeks, and he'd prescribe exercises.  I expressed concern about all the stairs in our home  and he said not to worry, husband could make them no problem on crutches with a bit of assistance from me for the first couple of weeks.

We are pretty excited.  Husband says he has nowhere to go but up at this point.

Just think - you'll get to spend Christmas with a new hip, and you'll be recouping during the nastiest part of our winter when it's a good idea to stay inside anyway.  By the time spring comes around, you'll be a new woman!

Edited to say:  Oops - just saw that Dan already answered you!  And, FWIW, Dan, your posts have been a great comfort to the two of us - thank you for all the detail you put into your posts.  Please continue - we are following your recovery in hopes  husband's goes as well!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:14:30 PM by Biscuit »

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »
It's amazing how many of us have had their surgeries in Oct, Nov, and Dec.  Good time to recoup during the winter, don't miss many outdoor activities and should be raring to go in the spring.  That was my rational for the date of surgery.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

juliaholly

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
Six weeks no driving, huh? Whoo. That's bad: I live alone so I now have no idea how I will get to work, but I guess I've got a month or so to figure it out. Also, could someone tell me how long it was before you went back to work? I'm taking three weeks cause I've got the time, and it's a slow time at work.

Yeah, my rationale for getting the surgery done when I am is a) insurance deductible is paid for the year (and then some!),  b) I generally don't do a lot of winter running anyway, and I can get back on the bike in early spring, and c) if I'm gonna have to have it done eventually, I may as well get it over with. My pain isn't too bad but it's persistent and I've got almost no cartilage left. And the pain has slowed my runs down.

Okay, Dan - another question: what was your daily routine like? What kind of clothes did you take? Sweats? Running shoes? 

I have no doubt Dr. Brooks is really good - I just feel bitter my body has betrayed me at a young age and I live in Nashville: really don't want to get stuck in Cleveland over Christmas.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal