+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shorin Ryu BB comes back after THR - includes info on Bill "Superfoot" Wallace  (Read 9573 times)

hernanu

I thought this was interesting, even though it is about THRs and slightly off track for the site. This is a story about a Shorin Ryu stylist who wound up having double THRs and how Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, one of my early heroes in full contact MA encouraged him, having had dual THRs himself.

Since I consider HR to be less restrictive, seeing these guys come back and be able to be fully functioning martial artists is a good thing to see... Anyways, it's a good read:

http://www.shoryukan.com/Topics/Extra/Articles/hipreplacment.html
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

PistolPete

AWESOME, thanks for sharing.  I met "Superfoot" at a tornament back in the mid 90's and he was hitting on my girlfriend.  He was such a nut but a cool guy for sure.  I didn't know he had his hips replaced.  Pretty cool stuff.

hernanu

Hilarious.

Mine was a local radio DJ who hit on my girlfriend (we got our black belts together). She deflated him by pretending not to know who he was (... you know... I'm a pretty big deal...  8)) while I was cracking up at the bar.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:48:12 PM by hernanu »

Dannywayoflife

Wow that's a great read! And very interesting!
Thanks Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

rbt2011

Hernanu,

Thanks for posting that.  Very encouraging especially considering our resurfacings vs. THR.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

kajubones

Great information thanks for sharing! Every inspirational!!!

jakemn

Yes, indeed, thank you for sharing the article Hernan.  I almost thought I was reading an article about myself, at least the downward spiral part of it.  I am a shorin-ryu practitioner for the past 35 years, and I look forward to being able to push for the flexibility that has been lost for a few years now, as he described in the article.  I intend to pursue looking up this John Spence and send him a note.  If I get any feedback from him, I will post if he gives me permission to do so.  He did mention something interesting/concerning about not doing heavy bag or makiwara kicks any more, but I wonder if that is related to the 2xTHR with cup screws he has, and not necessarily a restriction for us BHR's?   Well, even simply getting back good flexibility and being able to demonstrate good kicking form and kata is the most important thing for me at this stage to continue to proliferate the matsubayashi that was given to me.

Jake in MN
RBHR - Feb. 2012 - Dr. Rogerson - Madison, WI

Dannywayoflife

Jake,
       I have been a muay thai fighter for 15 plus years now and had a BHR in November. I know others have gone back to kicking the bags etc but to my mind it's not a good idea. The force and direction if it ie the twisting nature can't be any good for a bhr in my mind. I fully intend to train again but as I want the maximum longevity from this thing I intend on altering my activities slightly. I will concentrate on boxing and grappling. Yes it's not perfect but hay if I regain that it's a million times better than nothing at all!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

jakemn

Danny,
  Yeah, I am a bit apprehensive about heavy bag work down the road, albeit it seems like a lifetime away for me right now. I can see how certain kicks would present problems, i.e round kicks or those that cross center line and have a horizontal component to them, causing obvious transverse torque across the hip joint.   As a shorin-ryu practitioner, I think our kicks are basic enough (front, side, back, and round kicks) to perhaps be less problematic because we tend to try to use the knee like a hinge with all kicks, i.e. "turn your ass into the kick" for side and back kicks, and use the knee like a hinge as it was designed. Also, I don't personally teach high kicks to the head, but rather focus on body kicks. Just my opinion, and I will certainly be extremely conservative and ramp into any heavy bag work slowly.  I think at a minimum, I should be able to get back to the point of doing full power kicks into the focus mitts FIRST before I start banging the Everlast.  Just doing kata again and working on low stances will be very rewarding to begin with, assuming I don't twist the titanium head out of it's socket the first time I do a 180 degree turn LOL!

Jake said it
RBHR - Feb. 2012 - Dr. Rogerson - Madison, WI

Dannywayoflife

Yeah other guys have managed to get back to similar levels to what you describe but to my mind the sheer torque that my Thai round kicks would put on the joint it's just not worth the risk. Im intent on fighting in the cage again and to be honest I'm sure I can do it and be successful without kicks. I'll still be able to shin block sonwont get caught with any low kicks myself and if you look at several of the top UFC guys they've never thrown a kick in there careers so it's just about your own style.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

I know, Danny - I've always felt more comfortable inside myself, but my kicks always have been heavy. I've started doing mid section roundhouse kicks at full strength now, and they feel pretty loose and strong. Not to the bag, but I have a large bag that sits on the floor, I'll try it at low impact first, then just do what feels right. Tae Kwon Do kicks can get intricate, would love to do some jump kicks just for the impractical heck of it.

Still love hitting the bag though. I'm having no problem with punches, elbows, etc. on the heavy bag right now.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat