+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When do you stop thinking about what you're about to do.....  (Read 2513 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
When do you stop thinking about what you're about to do.....
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
As my surgery date approaches I am reading more and more stories about the recovery time.  It obviously takes quite a long time, with much consideration about how quickly you progress and how to ramp up the activity level.

So I have few questions related to recovery: 

At what point did you begin doing activity without first considering your hip? (This probably refers mostly to those who are at least six months to a year out). 

And, do we ever get to a point where we just go about our lives and work/exercise/live without worrying about it.  Once we are fully healed, are we still at greater risk from impact injuries/falls?  I'm going non-cemented, if that makes any difference.  I sort of ask this because I like doing things like the Warrior Dash, and would like to do a race called the "Tough Mudder" once I'm fully recovered.  But, I don't want to put myself at risk by doing so.

Thanks.

Andy

Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: When do you stop thinking about what you're about to do.....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
Andy-

I found myself starting to think less and less about my hip around the six week mark.  At about the three month mark I had loosened up where I hardly thought about my hip except when working out or if I had aches around that leg.  Once I start running I will think even less about it.

Once the bone has grown in and accepted the implant, I would imagine you would have to do something that would break the bone.  Therefore I believe we are at no greater risk than a normal hip.  This assumes that your femur was not damaged during the surgery.  It is really the cup that is the biggest concern because it is not held in place by screws or cement.

I plan on getting back to life and not letting hip worries control my life.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
I am curious for other thoughts on this as I am quickly coming up on surgery.  One of the things I look forward to most is not have to direct so much conscious attention to my hip (how does it feel, what route should I take walking on campus, sleeping pain, what i can or can not do, etc).  I just want to live without conscious thought about my hip.  I hope that comes soon after surgery.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mslendzion

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
Excellent question.  I'm fearful I will worry/think about my hip post surgery for the rest of my life. 
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

einreb

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »
I am curious for other thoughts on this as I am quickly coming up on surgery.  One of the things I look forward to most is not have to direct so much conscious attention to my hip (how does it feel, what route should I take walking on campus, sleeping pain, what i can or can not do, etc).  I just want to live without conscious thought about my hip.  I hope that comes soon after surgery.

If it helps... I think a good bit about my hip now at 9 months.  However, I mostly think about it because I'm doing something that for the last 15 years used to hurt and now does not.

Every night I lay down and 'savor' the fact that I'm not focused on my aching hip as I fall asleep.

-Bernie

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Luanna

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:54:09 PM »
Bernie,
Thanks for your post. I'm at 13 weeks and am consumed by my hip saga and the process of healing. It dominates my thinking mostly when I've overdone and am in pain which unfortunately is now.

I'm looking forward to a time when I don't think about it at all and can appreciate feeling the way you do at night when you go to sleep. That will be wonderful.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:56:27 PM »
I'm with Bernie on this one. I notice my hip when I suddenly realize I'm easily doing something that was excruciating before and I think.... Hah!!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

maxx6789

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:29:46 AM »
At what point did you begin doing activity without first considering your hip? (This probably refers mostly to those who are at least six months to a year out). 

And, do we ever get to a point where we just go about our lives and work/exercise/live without worrying about it. 

i suppose your question is really about doing "all activities" (including impact ones like running, jumping, etc)? i am just 12 weeks post op and have no pain on the operated side. i am able to do virtually all my daily activities without any thinking about the new hip ... standing, walking, yard work, bike riding, gym exercise, sleeping. that has probably been the case from about the 7 week point on (per doctors order, i was on a cane until the end of week 6 and feel it did take a few days to start walking 100% limp-and-plevis-dip-free).

i have been (happily) surprised on how normal and natural the new hip feels. honestly, i tell people my new hip feels exactly like my old hip did pre-OA ... great!!

at this point, i envision returning to impact activities at 6 months and although my hip will be on my mind at first, i assume that after a few successful outgoings, i will soon not think much about it.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:10:59 AM »
Wow, maxx.....all daily activities without any issues at 12 weeks?  That is awesome.

Luanna......when you don't overdo it, what sort of activities can you do without issue at 13 weeks?

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
Aerial - All of those issues about walking a certain path in support of a painful hip,...all goes away after the initial recovery from surgery.  The only time I think about my hips (in a conservative way) are when I know I might get in a position that pushes the ROM.  That's because I'm not stretchy enough yet and it's obvious.  I'm at 3 months on R and 9 months on L and I can do everything I did about 4 or more years ago before OA came on with a vengeance.  I feel like I could even play soccer with a little light running first to get bouncier with the legs, but I won't because it's too early.

I think Hern put it a good way in that I hope to think about my hips a lot for the rest of my life, not in a conservative way, but in a progressive and positive way, thankful for having new ones. 

I agree with Dan on the idea of a harsh impact to the joint being much the same as a regular joint, after the initial bone healing has been done (6 to 12 months).  We've heard from a few hippes that have wailed their new hip from a skiing or snowboarding wreck with no known damage.  I haven't heard of anyone busting their new hip from doing the type of activities they did before surgery.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat